Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast
    Results 241 to 260 of 1190
    1. #241
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Vinland Kansas,66006
      Posts
      647
      Country Flag: United States
      Coming along very nice.Somebody use to race dirt cars.

    2. #242
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Location
      Austin, Tx.
      Posts
      1,539
      Country Flag: United States
      Hey Ron,

      Everything looks great on the cage. The only issue I am wondering about is the diagonal bar in the main hoop... If you ever plan on running a NASA or SCCA event I'm pretty sure they require the diagonal bar to be from the driver's side attached to the top portion of the main hoop (within 12" of the radius) and diagonally to the passenger's side lower portion of the main hoop. The other requirement they have is the diagonal bar is supposed to be the single piece design and the "seat bar" is the one that is supposed to be split. If you don't plan on running those type events, it probably doesn't matter.

      Just checking!
      Ray
      FEW FRILLS, just BIG CHILLS!!!
      1972 VW Bug (427LS/T56 Magnum/9"-3.70 gears)
      18"x10-1/2" (315/30/18) Front, 18”x12" (335/30/18”) Rear
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lady-Bug-quot

    3. #243
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Covina, Ca
      Posts
      95
      Country Flag: United States
      To add, I believe I read that if the diagonal is in two pieces it has to be an "X" instead of an diagonal, to be legal in SCCA or NASA.

      Looks great Ron! What are you planing to run fuel tank? It doesn't look like you have much room left in the trunk with the axle moved back.

      Jon

    4. #244
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      The whole cage is 1 5/8" chromoly, if I remember correctly SCCA requires 1 3/4", so no its not built specifically for SCCA. I designed it to stiffen the car without adding too much weight, and for head room, vision, saftey, and ease getting in and out of the car. This is a driver, built to run in the A.S.S. (LOL). This will definitly be one of the safest cars in the series, and once I close everything up and put carpet(yes carpet) on the floor, it won't look near as busy.


      The fuel tank has worried me since I dreamed up this build, I really wasn't sure how tight the rear compartment was going to be until the watts bars went in, now that they are in I can get it figured out. I think I can buy a poly tank from Speedway that has no holes in it yet, and stand it up rather then laying it flat, or build one out of aluminum. Either way I will have to fab the internal fuel pump and trough like I did in the Mustang.
      Ron Schwarz

    5. #245
      Join Date
      Dec 2004
      Location
      Morehead City, NC
      Posts
      929
      Country Flag: United States
      Ron, Have you given any thought to a custom fuel cell? From my past experience I am going to be hard pressed to not go that route with future projects that will be tracked. They can be built in almost any shape. You won't have issues with fuel getting away from the pickups and there is a huge safety advantage. When I look at the area you have to work with, custom a fuel cell would be fairly easy to fit. Mike

    6. #246
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States
      It doesnt look all that tight in the pictures, but pictures can do that sometimes.. Have you looked into any circle track cell's and modifying for more of a road course setup? I would think that you could get one to fit pretty well going from just infront of the "kick-up" back twords the rear body mount, and across, with the bottom of the cell even with the top of the frame rail. the only thing is there wouldnt be a ton of room if you ever got rear ended or backed into a wall. but then again, I've seen a bunch of full race cars that don't have a ton of room from the rear bumper to the cell

    7. #247
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      The more I look at these pics my buddy Mark took, the more tempted I am to finish the flares and floor, bolt the car back together, leaving it in its original faded baby sh*t yellow paint. If only I could figure a way to fade out the quarters and fenders to match.



      Ron Schwarz

    8. #248
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Posts
      38
      Any color you want to match, fade, feather, can be done. Artificial rust... other effects... no problem.

    9. #249
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Location
      san diego
      Posts
      5,101
      Country Flag: United States
      Ron,

      It would be a cool sleeper with the stock paint!

    10. #250
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Vinland Kansas,66006
      Posts
      647
      Country Flag: United States
      How do you like TN250 tube notcher.I luv mine.



    11. #251
      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      Location
      Central NJ
      Posts
      791
      I like your idea using the original paint....some scuffpads, reducer and metal dust can go along way creating an "aged" paint job... Shooting the enitire car then aging it "uniformly" may be easier than trying to blend new panels/parts with the original aged paint. I had a project in college aging some military parts....I even used salt water from the ocean while scuffing the parts after paint. haha. You may want to check out some Guitar forums for aging techniques.... Either way, the project is looking great Ron!
      -Sean

    12. #252
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Location
      New Derry, PA
      Posts
      1,265
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
      The whole cage is 1 5/8" chromoly, if I remember correctly SCCA requires 1 3/4", so no its not built specifically for SCCA. I designed it to stiffen the car without adding too much weight, and for head room, vision, saftey, and ease getting in and out of the car. This is a driver, built to run in the A.S.S. (LOL). This will definitly be one of the safest cars in the series, and once I close everything up and put carpet(yes carpet) on the floor, it won't look near as busy.


      The fuel tank has worried me since I dreamed up this build, I really wasn't sure how tight the rear compartment was going to be until the watts bars went in, now that they are in I can get it figured out. I think I can buy a poly tank from Speedway that has no holes in it yet, and stand it up rather then laying it flat, or build one out of aluminum. Either way I will have to fab the internal fuel pump and trough like I did in the Mustang.
      Ron, I'm sort of well versed in finding "skinny" fuel cells...this might help.
      http://www.atlinc.com/pdfs/Racing/20...G-web%2014.pdf
      All of ATL's A,B and C cells share the same footprint, only the height is different to create higher capacity. No one else (that I've found) makes a narrower cell.

      Ray Kaufman - Wyotech Chassis Fab and High Performance Instructor. Words of Wisdom from an old master... at Asylum Custom Interiors website

    13. #253
      Join Date
      Oct 2004
      Location
      St.Anne Il
      Posts
      3,924
      Country Flag: United States
      Cool pic Ron..who's chevelle?...and yes leave it faded yellow..
      Darrin Stalnecker
      1969 Camaro Convert full pt pr
      2007 Corvette Supercharged
      1968 Camaro LS1 T56
      http://www.fquick.com/dropit69

    14. #254
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by coolwelder62 View Post
      How do you like TN250 tube notcher.I luv mine.
      That is my buddy Dominic's bender, I use a JD squared type 4.
      Ron Schwarz

    15. #255
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by dropit69 View Post
      Cool pic Ron..who's chevelle?...and yes leave it faded yellow..
      That is a customer of DC Performance, a really over the top build, will be an 8 second street car. DC does mostly super fast drag cars. There are alot of 7,8,and 9 second door bangers with tags on them in this area. Do you remember when a 12 sec. car dominated the streets? I sure do.
      Ron Schwarz

    16. #256
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      I'm loving how smooth the bottom will be

      Ron Schwarz

    17. #257
      Join Date
      Dec 2004
      Location
      Morehead City, NC
      Posts
      929
      Country Flag: United States
      Tis slick. How is the exhaust going to run? I know you have that worked out in a mental blueprint.

    18. #258
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      You got the mental part right. It will run along the torque arm on the drivers side, and alond the driveshaft on the other, in 3", go up and over the rear, and exit behind the rear wheel. Its kind of nice I get to do that from above before the floors are installed. I think the trans mount and exhaust will be the next thing as soon as the cage is done.
      Ron Schwarz

    19. #259
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      The City of Fountains
      Posts
      16,125
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
      I'm loving how smooth the bottom will be

      Great progress Ron.

      Does that torque arm mount just unbolt?

      Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @dr__efi
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

      "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

    20. #260
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      Yeah Andrew its the torque arm/trans mount so it kind of has to come out. I was a little worried about the strain of the torque arm, so that crossmember of made of 3/16", and the bolt together section is extra beefy, I need to study at weight watchers!!!!
      Ron Schwarz

    Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com