Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 77 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

1967 Cougar build (over 700 pictures and videos)

I have waited a long time to get this project moving, and it is time to get it documented.

I bought this car back in 2010 and it has been waiting for my personal touch ever since. The car has a neat history and I am anxious to get my first "Ford" under way. I bought the car from the step-father of my ex-girlfriend. Funny how life presents you with certain opportunities, right?

This is a car that was originally customized in the early 70s. The story is that Phil (my ex-GF's step-father) customized this car with the help of his father (Phil Sr.) around 1972. Phil Sr. was somehow affiliated with the local Ford dealership and thus they had access to a host of Ford parts. The Ford aficionados among you will spot various, high performance, highly sought after Ford parts in the original car. I won't give away all the secrets, but hopefully people will chime in as they spot the parts.

The theme (or the philosophy of use) of this car is that it that of an Old Skool street/strip car. Think of it as a throw back to the late 1980s to early 1990s "street machine." I realize that this isn't a pro-turing build, but I have been a member of this community since 2001 and there isn't another place on the internet where I would rather post this project.

As Tony Soprano would say "enough with the preambles..." Here are some pictures of the car as it was when I first got it and as it sits today....

This is the state of the car as it is now. The engine that came with the car is gone and will be replaced by something that I am much more familiar with.

No doubt you all recognize this particular engine...

I absolutely love the patina on this car and I will do all I can to preserve it...

Stay tuned for more updates as this Cougar gets custom engine mounts with the help of Schwartz Performance and Holley exhaust manifolds...

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 06-10-2015 at 07:46 PM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

You removed what appears to be a legit Boss 302 and replaced it with an LS?

You might check the thread on the fella who's also trying to put at LS into a '67 Mustang. Far from a bolt in.
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

1967 Cougar build

*Schwartz not Schwarts Andrew! Lol.

Care to tell us the specific LS plans for it yet?

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Quote Originally Posted by chunger View Post
      You might check the thread on the fella who's also trying to put at LS into a '67 Mustang. Far from a bolt in.
      but worth EVERY pain and penny... specially compared to that 302.

Quote Originally Posted by chunger View Post
      You removed what appears to be a legit Boss 302 and replaced it with an LS?

I knew that it wouldn't take long for someone to figure it out...LOL

Yes, that was a legit Boss 302 (service block) with a Shelby dual quad intake and a Drag Pack oil cooler set-up.

This isn't exactly a bolt in, but it also isn't rocket surgery.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      *Schwartz not Schwarts Andrew! Lol.

Care to tell us the specific LS plans for it yet?

-Dale
      Hey Dale,

Sorry about that...I was a few cocktails in when I made that post...LOL

I don't have any idea what specific engine it will get yet. Probably whatever I can find.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.VENGEANCE View Post
      but worth EVERY pain and penny... specially compared to that 302.
      That Boss 302 was special. It belonged in a perfectly restored Boss 302 Mustang, not this Cougar. Some years back I had a chance to drive this car with the Boss 302 and let's just say it wasn't that exciting. I am pretty sure that a slightly warmed over 5.3L will run circles around it and will be much more streetable.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

That will be cool! Keeping the old look on the car will be sweet....especially with an LS setup!

What oil pan are you going to use??

My son has a 73 Mustang convertible project that we are doing and an LS swap has been discussed……just don't know about oil pan and exhaust.

I wanted to use as many OEM style parts as possible. This makes getting replacement parts easier and I like how the newer parts are designed.

When I built my RX7 the swap kit for that was designed around 4th gen F-body motor mounts. I really liked the clamshell design that allowed for good vibration control and at the same time are almost indestructible. So for this build I decided to use the same motor mounts.

The oil pan is a front sump pan from a 04-06 Pontiac GTO. These pans are almost identical in dimension to the stock early small block Ford pans.

Customer headers are not in the budget and from doing some research it didn't look like any stock manifolds were going to work very well. The issue is the width, not only between the shock towers, but also down at the frame rails. The Cougars (and Mustangs) had a rear steer arrangement and the steering box sits right along the frame and creates problems for exhaust routing.

I decided to try the Holley cast exhaust manifolds because they are narrow, tuck really close to the engine and are designed to dump the exhaust towards the rear of the engine. The engine had to be offset a little towards the passenger side in order for the exhaust to clear the stock steering box.

As you can see, the clearance is a little tighter on the passenger side:

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

The Cougar is one of my favorite cars of all time . My neighbor has a beautiful 1970 Cougar that rarely gets taken out of the garage . Its really a shame

First car was a 68 XR7, 302 and 3 speed manual same color as yours but red interior. More bondo than steel. Would love to get another and yes, it would have a Schwartz chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by howehot View Post
      First car was a 68 XR7, 302 and 3 speed manual same color as yours but red interior. More bondo than steel. Would love to get another and yes, it would have a Schwartz chassis.
      Make me an offer I can't refuse. The car is at Schwartz Performance now...They can start on that chassis for you!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I thought I would post a few more pictures.

The new GTO pan fits these cars like a glove. There is plenty of clearance all around the crossmember. Also in this picture you can see the custom mounts that were made by the Schwartz crew. The U-shaped brackets are welded directly to the bolt on plates that used to hold the SBF mounts. It's a simple design but one that will work very well.

Here is a shot of the driver's side mount:

What I am really impressed with is how well the Hooker cast manifolds fit this chassis. I realize that these manifolds are note early meant for any specific application, but their compact design and rear exit makes them suited to a wide range of applications where room in limited. I also recall that long tube headers don't add a significant amount of power LS engines that are relatively mild. If I want to make more power, I guess I can always turn them around

The manifolds take a 2.5" head pipe and use readily available flanges and gaskets. Here is the passenger side:

Space it tight on the driver's side due to the steering rack, but it all fits:

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Tight fit, should exciting though, and yeah a boss 302 is cool and all but has zero torque... and since ford isn't making a modern pushrod motor Ls swaps are the **** ;-)

I'm psyched to finally see some pics! Did it come with two hoods? One pic seems to have a hole, and the other does not. Any pics with the hole hood closed?

Very, very cool! Only thing I would change is the rolling stock (not what I expected), but I know you are already researching.

Looking forward to the progress!
      -Shaun-
      L92/T56 Stalker 1711 pounds, LS power!
      73 Buick Century L92/T56 swap in progress

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13firebird View Post
      Tight fit, should exciting though, and yeah a boss 302 is cool and all but has zero torque... and since ford isn't making a modern pushrod motor Ls swaps are the **** ;-)
      That's why this car has a 9" rear with 4.33 gears and a Detroit Locker! LOL

I drove the car when it was Boss 302 powered and let's just say it wasn't that thrilling. I think a warmed over 5.3L will run circles around it...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by subtlez28 View Post
      I'm psyched to finally see some pics! Did it come with two hoods? One pic seems to have a hole, and the other does not. Any pics with the hole hood closed?

Very, very cool! Only thing I would change is the rolling stock (not what I expected), but I know you are already researching.

Looking forward to the progress!
      Hood? Who needs a hood? This thing will go really old skool style...no hood...A hood will only hide the Holley Hi-ram...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Cool project Andrew. What's the plans for suspension, wheels & brakes?

Page 1 of 77 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com