Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Make me want one... and there's a chopped one for sale on Craiglist near me... and I have a C7 Vette roller sitting out back...

number 3 all the way, Camaro bullet mirrors just don't look right

What about 65 Shelby R bullet mirrors on the doors?

http://store.cobraautomotive.com/mir...1-2-flat-lens/
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Please don't put a LS motor in this beautiful car, that you have spent $100k and 5 years building, so 'cheap and easy' isn't part of the project.
      Volvo had a 4.4L v8 that is correspondingly rare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Vh0eidjUg

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  252.2 KB

https://www.ebay.com/i/142409857735?chn=ps

We've got a couple twin turbos that would be fun as well.
      Or the new 2.0 that's turbocharged AND supercharged would be fun too.

I actually looked into a Volvo V8 as well as a Coyote engine. The Volvo was larger in every way than the Chevy and the Ford was just way too wide. The space in the engine compartment is very limited in the 1800. I just didn't think I could fit it in there and clear the crossmember and under the hood.

Another benefit of using the Chevy is the aftermarket support. To Make 600 hp in a Volvo V8 would be very expensive and would likely need the turbos Bob is suggesting.

Guess you are not up for the challenge of something more difficult, sure seemed like it seeing the car, I mean why not build a camaro.

Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      I actually looked into a Volvo V8 as well as a Coyote engine. The Volvo was larger in every way than the Chevy and the Ford was just way too wide. The space in the engine compartment is very limited in the 1800. I just didn't think I could fit it in there and clear the crossmember and under the hood.

Another benefit of using the Chevy is the aftermarket support. To Make 600 hp in a Volvo V8 would be very expensive and would likely need the turbos Bob is suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by nimblemotorsports View Post
      Guess you are not up for the challenge of something more difficult, sure seemed like it seeing the car, I mean why not build a camaro.
      Wow, don't have to be a dick about it. The "Volvo" V8 you showed wasn't even their engine, Yamaha made it for them.

Keep up the good work Darreld, don't mind the LS haters. They can build their own cars however they want. Maybe nimble will build an 1800 with his dream 4.4L Yamaha engine.

Your project, build it the way you want. I love the LS power plant.

I'm a Chevy fan, and LS lover. But also work for Volvo, so I can go either way. haha
      If memory serves, that twin turbo Volvo motor from several years ago was about 300 horsepower.

Might as well put a B6294T in it
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

I have a 56 Chevy Nomad and LS would be a good choice. But maybe I should put in a Ford Coyote engine, it would be easier
      and cheaper than a LS motor.

Anyone can build a car however they want, but everyone can also have an opinion, and mine is this awesome car will be 'cheapened' with a LS swap,
      and that would be a shame.

And my opinion would be that 'cheapened' isn't the right word. I guess when you look at the cars you choose to build, that anything with an LS would be too common or normal. It takes a different kind to build a Corvair with an Audi engine. While Audi engines are cool, they probably don't have the same reliability of an LS motor. But for a rear engine, the Audi makes more sense. Same with a small block Ford in a road race Pinto. Another cool, off the beaten path project. I've got a couple friends like you who abhor the LS engines, and I think the hatred is misplaced. They're such versatile engine, with many build options. And having used an engine with very poor aftermarket support for parts, a 400M, I've grown to like and value the support of the aftermarket. Not having to custom make every little thing would be nice. And after putting an LS in a Jaguar XK8, I was really impressed with how easy they were wire. With options from 4.8L to 7.0L and above, the platform offers tons of options, which to me is cool. I'm sure this Volvo won't have an everyday run of the mill LS in it.

As I mentioned earlier the LS was not my first choice for the engine in this car. I did not choose the Volvo for a couple reasons. First it really is a Yamaha engine if we must be specific. The power output is only 300. They used the same 4.4L but in a twin turbo version to power the Noble and it was only 450 hp, 650 ish in full race trim. The is quite a bit less power but the complexity of the engine and setup in the car is significantly more expensive and difficult. The biggest issue is the height of the engine. The Volvo engine is too high for the car. I would have to drop it way down to the point I would need one hell of a skid plate or to raise it up and put on a snorkel scoop to fit it in the engine compartment. Neither options worked for me. Fitment was the main problem but power and complexity were a close 2nd and 3rd.

I hear you though that the LS may be over done on many cars. There is a good reason for that. Dependable power, aftermarket support and ease of electronics. The size of the engine was my problem and the reason this is not powered by a Volvo. I will admit it would have been a bit more cool if it was. Making a dry sump setup for the 4.4L may have been the solution for my fitment issues but I am not going to spend the time, money or energy to design that for an engine nobody else is using in aftermarket applications. The next issues was what transmission would I have used. I did not even go that far since I ran into so many other obstacles before that.

Quote Originally Posted by nimblemotorsports View Post
      I have a 56 Chevy Nomad and LS would be a good choice. But maybe I should put in a Ford Coyote engine, it would be easier
      and cheaper than a LS motor.

Anyone can build a car however they want, but everyone can also have an opinion, and mine is this awesome car will be 'cheapened' with a LS swap,
      and that would be a shame.
      I really hate when people justify saying something rude by saying that it is there opinion. It's a BS excuse and clutters up an otherwise outstanding build. Please continue to build this car to your vision as it is one of the best builds on this site!! Top notch fabrication and vision.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Awesome build! Love all the great mods!
      Pat

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      I really hate when people justify saying something rude by saying that it is there opinion. It's a BS excuse and clutters up an otherwise outstanding build. Please continue to build this car to your vision as it is one of the best builds on this site!! Top notch fabrication and vision.
      Clearly, he must be a Trump supporter. lol...I come across so many that just tell people to "calm down" or "get over it" when it's something they're saying...but when it's offensive to them they are rude as hell.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      Clearly, he must be a Trump supporter. lol...I come across so many that just tell people to "calm down" or "get over it" when it's something they're saying...but when it's offensive to them they are rude as hell.

Jay
      Wow. Now we're getting politics involved in a car thread.
      Seriously? Can we not?

I think Trump would tell him to have a Coal powered engine, that would be a steam engine, but Trump wouldn't understand that,
      he would only know his Lump is bigger than your Lump. ;)

I personally would put in a Volvo T5 with a bigger turbo, it would be MUCH lighter than a LS, but V8 are better eye candy.

Condescension aside....i used to be in the anti-LS camp. Having owned multiple european sports cars and high end sports sedans and currently owning a TT Audi v8, two Jaguar e-types and a porsche 911 carrera, I have had a bit of snobbery about overhead cams, exotic metal crankcases, blah, blah, blah... But with near 40 years of motoring experience behind me, I've become an LS convert. The DOHC design may give better ultimate breathing, but it moves a lot of weight to the top of the engine -- bad for the center of gravity. And it adds to the weight -- a direct affront to Colin Chapman's primary mandate: "add lightness". With how far the LS engines have been developed, it really is hard to find a motor that gives more power, at its weight, its compact dimensions and with its low center of gravity. There really is nothing like it. Forget trying to wedge a coyote or voodoo V8 into the P1800's engine bay, or many others for that matter. The width at the heads requires serious space between the strut towers. You can buy a hi-strung NA Audi or BMW V8 that'll get you maybe mid-400 HP, but it won't be lighter, it is unlikely to be as compact width-wise, and it'll have lost a lot of its torque getting to that HP level. That same HP and far more is easy out of an LS. The aftermarket support is insane and constantly growing. Bottom line -- anyone against an LS is coming from an irrational bias. It is a great engine that needs no apologies from anyone.

Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com