Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 32 ... LastLast
    Results 421 to 440 of 902

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Sacramento, California
      Posts
      40
      Guess you are not up for the challenge of something more difficult, sure seemed like it seeing the car, I mean why not build a camaro.



      Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      I actually looked into a Volvo V8 as well as a Coyote engine. The Volvo was larger in every way than the Chevy and the Ford was just way too wide. The space in the engine compartment is very limited in the 1800. I just didn't think I could fit it in there and clear the crossmember and under the hood.

      Another benefit of using the Chevy is the aftermarket support. To Make 600 hp in a Volvo V8 would be very expensive and would likely need the turbos Bob is suggesting.


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Minneapolis, MN
      Posts
      195
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by nimblemotorsports View Post
      Guess you are not up for the challenge of something more difficult, sure seemed like it seeing the car, I mean why not build a camaro.
      Wow, don't have to be a dick about it. The "Volvo" V8 you showed wasn't even their engine, Yamaha made it for them.

      Keep up the good work Darreld, don't mind the LS haters. They can build their own cars however they want. Maybe nimble will build an 1800 with his dream 4.4L Yamaha engine.

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      Posts
      285
      Country Flag: United States
      Your project, build it the way you want. I love the LS power plant.

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Location
      Sacramento, CA
      Posts
      1,918
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by grendel View Post
      Your project, build it the way you want. I love the LS power plant.
      Yup. Me too. Giddy up !

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Feb 2014
      Posts
      779
      Country Flag: United States
      I'm a Chevy fan, and LS lover. But also work for Volvo, so I can go either way. haha
      If memory serves, that twin turbo Volvo motor from several years ago was about 300 horsepower.

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Location
      Sacramento, CA
      Posts
      1,918
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
      I'm a Chevy fan, and LS lover. But also work for Volvo, so I can go either way. haha
      If memory serves, that twin turbo Volvo motor from several years ago was about 300 horsepower.
      If you're talking about the S60R, it was a single big turbo & dual intercoolers (for some odd reason). I had one, until my wife decided to sell her SUV & take my car. :(

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Feb 2014
      Posts
      779
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post
      If you're talking about the S60R, it was a single big turbo & dual intercoolers (for some odd reason). I had one, until my wife decided to sell her SUV & take my car. :(
      It was the straight six, twin turbo B6284T (2.8Lt) and B6294T (2.9Lt) from 1998 to 2006.

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Location
      Sacramento, CA
      Posts
      1,918
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
      It was the straight six, twin turbo B6284T (2.8Lt) and B6294T (2.9Lt) from 1998 to 2006.
      Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying !

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Location
      McKinney, TX
      Posts
      1,623
      Country Flag: United States
      Might as well put a B6294T in it
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Minneapolis, MN
      Posts
      195
      Country Flag: United States
      And my opinion would be that 'cheapened' isn't the right word. I guess when you look at the cars you choose to build, that anything with an LS would be too common or normal. It takes a different kind to build a Corvair with an Audi engine. While Audi engines are cool, they probably don't have the same reliability of an LS motor. But for a rear engine, the Audi makes more sense. Same with a small block Ford in a road race Pinto. Another cool, off the beaten path project. I've got a couple friends like you who abhor the LS engines, and I think the hatred is misplaced. They're such versatile engine, with many build options. And having used an engine with very poor aftermarket support for parts, a 400M, I've grown to like and value the support of the aftermarket. Not having to custom make every little thing would be nice. And after putting an LS in a Jaguar XK8, I was really impressed with how easy they were wire. With options from 4.8L to 7.0L and above, the platform offers tons of options, which to me is cool. I'm sure this Volvo won't have an everyday run of the mill LS in it.

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Camas, WA
      Posts
      640
      Country Flag: United States
      As I mentioned earlier the LS was not my first choice for the engine in this car. I did not choose the Volvo for a couple reasons. First it really is a Yamaha engine if we must be specific. The power output is only 300. They used the same 4.4L but in a twin turbo version to power the Noble and it was only 450 hp, 650 ish in full race trim. The is quite a bit less power but the complexity of the engine and setup in the car is significantly more expensive and difficult. The biggest issue is the height of the engine. The Volvo engine is too high for the car. I would have to drop it way down to the point I would need one hell of a skid plate or to raise it up and put on a snorkel scoop to fit it in the engine compartment. Neither options worked for me. Fitment was the main problem but power and complexity were a close 2nd and 3rd.

      I hear you though that the LS may be over done on many cars. There is a good reason for that. Dependable power, aftermarket support and ease of electronics. The size of the engine was my problem and the reason this is not powered by a Volvo. I will admit it would have been a bit more cool if it was. Making a dry sump setup for the 4.4L may have been the solution for my fitment issues but I am not going to spend the time, money or energy to design that for an engine nobody else is using in aftermarket applications. The next issues was what transmission would I have used. I did not even go that far since I ran into so many other obstacles before that.

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Posts
      803
      Country Flag: United States
      Awesome build! Love all the great mods!
      Pat

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      South Lyon, MI
      Posts
      1,244
      Country Flag: United States
      I think this is an awesome build. The LS is a good choice for the packaging and supports the low hoodline that helps make this car look fantastic.

      I was able to attend an address delivered by the chief engineer for the LS1. He explained that the Corvette team was given a challenge to build a compact engine that had high power density. They were given the constraint that it had to load from the bottom and therefore fit between the frame rails. A quad cam V8 was too wide. Weight and exterior dimensions were key. The team was very successful in meeting their design goals. That is why the LS motor is so good for swaps. It is light, compact and delivers power. If I had the cash laying around, I would swap an LS7 in place of my 377 small block in a heartbeat.

      I do like unusual powertrains for their aesthetic value, but when they do not fit or add mass to a car that would be detrimental to performance, I say use what fits the whole package. Such unique engines are best in show cars because of the compromises in performance that come with them. Also, it is hard to argue with the aftermarket support for the LS motors versus the more rare options.

      This is a spectacular build that will not be diminished by an LS motor.

      Keep up the great work!

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Camas, WA
      Posts
      640
      Country Flag: United States
      This build thread has taken an interesting turn. I had no idea so many were actually following it. LOL!

      Is this the point where I show another picture of my LS? I just finished putting on the new AFR 260cc Mongoose LS3 heads, trick flow push rods, Fast 102 Intake, ARP head bolts, Cometic gaskets, Yella Terra rockers and Improved Racing oil pan baffle. The bottom end is still stock (other than an Advanced Induction cam) but If I blow it up I will put in a stoker kit.

      I would have loved to put in an LS7 but there is no space for an oil tank or room for the additional drive belt. It is a damn tight engine bay. Instead of the LS7 I put in an Accusump, baffle and oil cooler to help. I just hope that is enough to keep it lubricated on the track.

      I checked on the suspension install yesterday. it is coming along nicely. They are about to weld in the front clip for the last time. It has been tacked in up to now. The next step will be to fabricate a crossmember for the torque arm to mount on. The crossmember will also function as the tranny mount as well. The last step is to mount the rear coilovers. I hope it is done by the end of the month. At that time I will take it home to mount the oil and tranny coolers, condenser, ac unit, find a place for the ECU and tranny controller. To do that I plan on changing the firewall on the passenger side.

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Location
      Sacramento, CA
      Posts
      1,918
      Country Flag: United States
      Hey Darreld !

      Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      This build thread has taken an interesting turn. I had no idea so many were actually following it. LOL!
      Maybe too many. LOL

      Is this the point where I show another picture of my LS? I just finished putting on the new AFR 260cc Mongoose LS3 heads, trick flow push rods, Fast 102 Intake, ARP head bolts, Cometic gaskets, Yella Terra rockers and Improved Racing oil pan baffle. The bottom end is still stock (other than an Advanced Induction cam) but If I blow it up I will put in a stoker kit.

      I would have loved to put in an LS7 but there is no space for an oil tank or room for the additional drive belt. It is a damn tight engine bay. Instead of the LS7 I put in an Accusump, baffle and oil cooler to help. I just hope that is enough to keep it lubricated on the track.
      Should be. The concern is tracks with loooooong, high speed (high G) corners. The Canton Accusump system & a good baffled road race pan (like the Canton) will provide adequate oil supply on "average" road courses, but certain tracks could cost you. Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen & most the Rovals really need a dry sump.

      I checked on the suspension install yesterday. it is coming along nicely. They are about to weld in the front clip for the last time.
      Sweet ! Pictures please !

      It has been tacked in up to now. The next step will be to fabricate a crossmember for the torque arm to mount on. The crossmember will also function as the tranny mount as well. The last step is to mount the rear coilovers. I hope it is done by the end of the month. At that time I will take it home to mount the oil and tranny coolers, condenser, ac unit, find a place for the ECU and tranny controller. To do that I plan on changing the firewall on the passenger side.
      Keep it rollin' !

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      South Lyon, MI
      Posts
      1,244
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      This build thread has taken an interesting turn. I had no idea so many were actually following it. LOL!
      It is a very interesting build that stands out in the crowd of F-bodies.

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      Camp Hill, PA, USA
      Posts
      5
      Country Flag: United States
      To sum it all up, then, for the past day or so: the LS is generally not recognized as the devil but sometimes mistaken for it, the 4.4 Yamaha engine is sub-par for swaps and aftermarket, the Volvo white block isn't really a weight savings and still falls short of power goals with a stock bottom end and without a really big snail, a grand piano will fit in a chevy nomad as will a coyote engine, politics generally don't fly very well on internet forums, and Ron Sutton is already bench racing this thing (I think I would have peed a little if he was excited about any project of mine...) so I'm stoked to see the updates from this thread and this amazing build continuing to move forward!

      My 2 cents...a car of this caliber, a "body/shell", is a container to fit the best engine/suspension/tires/whatever else into and still make a nice-looking cohesive vehicle which the owner enjoys driving/racing and enthusiasts can respect. So many of you have these lovely containers and use them as often as possible. I get the arguments to keep it in the family, anything but another LS, etc...and it's even worth saying sometimes, if we can keep it classy. I'm very much a hardcore Volvo fan and I LOVE what's being done with this thing, even the things I might not pick myself.

      /soapbox

    18. #18
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Sacramento, California
      Posts
      40
      The T5 is about 300ish pounds, the LS about 400ish, a significant difference.

      Quote Originally Posted by sikbrik View Post
      the Volvo white block isn't really a weight savings and still falls short of power goals with a stock bottom end and without a really big snail

    19. #19
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Posts
      5
      Quote Originally Posted by nimblemotorsports View Post
      The T5 is about 300ish pounds, the LS about 400ish, a significant difference.
      I agree with your LS number...I've never weighed a T5, but everything I've read on the internet (I know) says that the long block is around 340. Have you weighed it fully dressed?

    20. #20
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      H-Town, TX
      Posts
      356
      Country Flag: United States
      I love this build and think an LS motor makes perfect sense. I don’t know enough about Volvo’s to say if there is a brand specific alternative or not. But this is an amazing build with custom everything and I am sure the owner is going to want to have enough RELIABLE power to take advantage of the modifications.

    Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 32 ... LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com