Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 902

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Camas, WA
      Posts
      640
      Country Flag: United States
      This build thread has taken an interesting turn. I had no idea so many were actually following it. LOL!

      Is this the point where I show another picture of my LS? I just finished putting on the new AFR 260cc Mongoose LS3 heads, trick flow push rods, Fast 102 Intake, ARP head bolts, Cometic gaskets, Yella Terra rockers and Improved Racing oil pan baffle. The bottom end is still stock (other than an Advanced Induction cam) but If I blow it up I will put in a stoker kit.

      I would have loved to put in an LS7 but there is no space for an oil tank or room for the additional drive belt. It is a damn tight engine bay. Instead of the LS7 I put in an Accusump, baffle and oil cooler to help. I just hope that is enough to keep it lubricated on the track.



      I checked on the suspension install yesterday. it is coming along nicely. They are about to weld in the front clip for the last time. It has been tacked in up to now. The next step will be to fabricate a crossmember for the torque arm to mount on. The crossmember will also function as the tranny mount as well. The last step is to mount the rear coilovers. I hope it is done by the end of the month. At that time I will take it home to mount the oil and tranny coolers, condenser, ac unit, find a place for the ECU and tranny controller. To do that I plan on changing the firewall on the passenger side.


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Location
      Sacramento, CA
      Posts
      1,918
      Country Flag: United States
      Hey Darreld !

      Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      This build thread has taken an interesting turn. I had no idea so many were actually following it. LOL!
      Maybe too many. LOL

      Is this the point where I show another picture of my LS? I just finished putting on the new AFR 260cc Mongoose LS3 heads, trick flow push rods, Fast 102 Intake, ARP head bolts, Cometic gaskets, Yella Terra rockers and Improved Racing oil pan baffle. The bottom end is still stock (other than an Advanced Induction cam) but If I blow it up I will put in a stoker kit.

      I would have loved to put in an LS7 but there is no space for an oil tank or room for the additional drive belt. It is a damn tight engine bay. Instead of the LS7 I put in an Accusump, baffle and oil cooler to help. I just hope that is enough to keep it lubricated on the track.
      Should be. The concern is tracks with loooooong, high speed (high G) corners. The Canton Accusump system & a good baffled road race pan (like the Canton) will provide adequate oil supply on "average" road courses, but certain tracks could cost you. Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen & most the Rovals really need a dry sump.

      I checked on the suspension install yesterday. it is coming along nicely. They are about to weld in the front clip for the last time.
      Sweet ! Pictures please !

      It has been tacked in up to now. The next step will be to fabricate a crossmember for the torque arm to mount on. The crossmember will also function as the tranny mount as well. The last step is to mount the rear coilovers. I hope it is done by the end of the month. At that time I will take it home to mount the oil and tranny coolers, condenser, ac unit, find a place for the ECU and tranny controller. To do that I plan on changing the firewall on the passenger side.
      Keep it rollin' !

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      South Lyon, MI
      Posts
      1,244
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      This build thread has taken an interesting turn. I had no idea so many were actually following it. LOL!
      It is a very interesting build that stands out in the crowd of F-bodies.

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      Camp Hill, PA, USA
      Posts
      5
      Country Flag: United States
      To sum it all up, then, for the past day or so: the LS is generally not recognized as the devil but sometimes mistaken for it, the 4.4 Yamaha engine is sub-par for swaps and aftermarket, the Volvo white block isn't really a weight savings and still falls short of power goals with a stock bottom end and without a really big snail, a grand piano will fit in a chevy nomad as will a coyote engine, politics generally don't fly very well on internet forums, and Ron Sutton is already bench racing this thing (I think I would have peed a little if he was excited about any project of mine...) so I'm stoked to see the updates from this thread and this amazing build continuing to move forward!

      My 2 cents...a car of this caliber, a "body/shell", is a container to fit the best engine/suspension/tires/whatever else into and still make a nice-looking cohesive vehicle which the owner enjoys driving/racing and enthusiasts can respect. So many of you have these lovely containers and use them as often as possible. I get the arguments to keep it in the family, anything but another LS, etc...and it's even worth saying sometimes, if we can keep it classy. I'm very much a hardcore Volvo fan and I LOVE what's being done with this thing, even the things I might not pick myself.

      /soapbox

    5. #5
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Sacramento, California
      Posts
      40
      The T5 is about 300ish pounds, the LS about 400ish, a significant difference.

      Quote Originally Posted by sikbrik View Post
      the Volvo white block isn't really a weight savings and still falls short of power goals with a stock bottom end and without a really big snail

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Posts
      5
      Quote Originally Posted by nimblemotorsports View Post
      The T5 is about 300ish pounds, the LS about 400ish, a significant difference.
      I agree with your LS number...I've never weighed a T5, but everything I've read on the internet (I know) says that the long block is around 340. Have you weighed it fully dressed?

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      Camp Hill, PA, USA
      Posts
      5
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
      I agree with your LS number...I've never weighed a T5, but everything I've read on the internet (I know) says that the long block is around 340. Have you weighed it fully dressed?
      I hate to prolong the off topic discussion but, when comparing even fully dressed weights, we need to also factor in block girdles, intercooler and piping plus any meth system needed to support the power levels of a 6.0+ liter LS from a 2.3L i5, especially if it means a 50 lb overall difference, not to mention packaging of those items (fmic in the nose of this car big enough?) Not to mention no longitudinal i5 ever produced so adapter weights for transmission, even seemingly negligible on its own. Just thoughts which I'm sure were evaluated by the builder initially...sorry, OP... I'll try to stay on topic going forward.

      Can't wait to see it home and the firewall work for the controllers!

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Posts
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by sikbrik View Post
      I hate to prolong the off topic discussion but, when comparing even fully dressed weights, we need to also factor in block girdles, intercooler and piping plus any meth system needed to support the power levels of a 6.0+ liter LS from a 2.3L i5, especially if it means a 50 lb overall difference, not to mention packaging of those items (fmic in the nose of this car big enough?) Not to mention no longitudinal i5 ever produced so adapter weights for transmission, even seemingly negligible on its own. Just thoughts which I'm sure were evaluated by the builder initially...sorry, OP... I'll try to stay on topic going forward.

      Can't wait to see it home and the firewall work for the controllers!
      Yes...back to the build. It's awesome. My vote-no bullet mirrors on the fenders. The Singer porsches use window mounted chrome bullets typically and it looks great. But a more recent build has something a bit more modern and body colored and it too looks great.



      But if you're going to preserve some exterior chrome I would look for a modern with chrome accents, a la Audi




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com