Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 573
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States

      Project: BLACK METAL - '67 Camaro

      I thought it was time to start a build thread on my '67 Camaro here. I have owned it for just over a year and spent a lot of that time working on all the small things that aren't really relevant to Pro-Touring, as well as a few things that were. My complete build thread is over on Team Camaro, and this car starts on page 3: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...=173910&page=3

      Now that the car is really starting to move into the Pro-Touring stages, I'm going to try to keep this thread on track with only PT related items.

      Here's where I started. 1967 Camaro, orginally a 6 cyl. It was already painted, and supposedly a good daily driver.




    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      One thing to mention, I'm trying to keep the Camaro on the road throughout the build, and do as much of the work myself as possible. I'm working out of a one car garage that is only 3 feet longer and 3 feet wider than my car, and I don't have the budget to send it out and drop $50k+ into it in one shot.

      Ultimately I want it to be a great driver that I can take to the track on occasion and have a little fun.


    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      The body mounting plates were rusted out, I had new plates welded in and replaced the old worn out body mounts with Fesler solid aluminum bushings:



      Rot:



      New billet mounts from Fesler:





    4. #4
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      The old tires and wheels weren't the look I was going for. I replaced them with 18" Foose Legends. 18x8 up front and 18x9 in the rear, wrapped in Nitto 555's. 245/40/18's up front and 275/40/18's in the rear:


      Old and new comparison (front's on the left, rears on the right):


      New front/rear height:


      New front/rear width:

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      It changes the look a little...

      Before:


      After:


      At an angle:

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      Next it was time to tackle the front end. I pulled out all the old steering linkage and replaced with new Moog parts. While I was at it, I got rid of the old manual steering box and converted to PS using a Delphi 670 box and '69 style PS pump with March pulley bracket.

      The old linkage had seen better days...


      Pitman arm covered in road grime...


      Outer tie rod ends, couldn't even find the cotter pin on the driver's side, atleast the passengers side was visable under the sludge...


    7. #7
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      WOW, this rag joint was busted up. It was barely held on by a washer, both sides were torn to shreds. Not safe.



      Old linkage and gear box came out as one piece. I mocked up the new linkage and adjusted the tie rod ends as close as possible to the same length as the old...



      New pump and pulley is in. This fit like a glove...

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      Old steering box vs new...


      New linkage...


      New pump/pulley/belt...


      New box installed and plumbed...

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      Now that the steering was taken care of, it was time to tackle the front suspension. Stock upper and control arms, broken springs and worn out shocks, not to mention the drum brakes that had seen better days:



      Speed Tech UCA's, LCA's and spring isolators, PPM tall upper ball joints, Hotchkis 1907F 2" lowering springs, and Bilstein valved shocks.


    10. #10
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      Out with the old, and in with the new...

      Old front sway bar vs. new Hotchkis sway bar:


      Old upper and lower control arms vs. new SpeedTech tubular control arms:


      Old springs vs. new Hotchkis 1907F 2" drop springs:

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      Upper and lower control arms are in, springs are in and seated, sway bar is in and loosely attached:


      New Bilstein shocks vs Old Monromatics:



    12. #12
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      I had to throw the old drums back on because I needed to get it out of my garage and to a shop to do some trouble shooting on the engine.



      It turns out the drums don't fit over the new SpeedTech LCA's so we had to grind the drums a bit just to keep it from scraping. Temporary fix:

      Passenger:


      Driver:

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      Wilwood 140-10510-DR 12.19" black drilled/slotted rotors with red 6 piston Superlite calipers and polished master cylinder. This kit was supposed to include the DynaPro's, but I got the wrong calipers in the mail. They didn't fit. I still have them in a box waiting for a return shipping label from the sender if he ever wants them back. Eventually I got the right calipers. The Superlite's use a different mounting point and are not interchangeable with the DynaPro's.




      Close up of the calipers:


    14. #14
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      Front hubs and a pic of the safety wiring. I let my mechanic safety wire for me since I didn't have any experience with it.







    15. #15
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      I took a couple of photos just to show the difference between the 6 piston Dynapros and the 6 piston Superlites. The Superlites are definitely beefier, the logo is engraved into the caliper, and the caliper is designed to fit around a thicker rotor. Also you can see the holes for the mounting bracket are spaced differently. The brake pads are not interchangeable between the two due to the way they are held in place.

      Superlites on top, Dynapros on bottom:









    16. #16
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      New Wilwood proportioning valve, master cylinder and Hurst roll control are in. The roll control is plumbed, but not wired yet




      Wilwood brakes are on and work great. 12" drilled and slotted rotors and 6 piston DynaPro's:




    17. #17
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      I picked up a 12 bolt out of '67 Camaro locally. The internals were all good, but the outside needed a little attention:

      Before:


      During:


      After:

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      I pulled the old drums off the rear and ordered a set of Wilwoods to match the front. I didn't want go with the Dynalites that come in most packages, so I contacted Wilwood and they hooked me up with the part numbers for a set of 4 piston DynaPros to match the front. I got these from DriverzInc.



      Internal shoe parking brake assembly:


      Calipers:



    19. #19
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      I pulled the old axles and added a set of Moser axles that I got from Freddie (big gear head) over on TC:

      Moser Axles on top, old ones on the bottom:


      Close up, big difference in thickness here:

    20. #20
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      1,180
      Country Flag: United States
      Proform's Perfect Launch aluminum differential cover:


      Before:


      After:

    Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com