Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Results 161 to 180 of 244
    1. #161
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      York, Pa
      Posts
      457
      Quote Originally Posted by carguykeith View Post
      Looks great, keep up the good work! Funny I looked at shortening the body mounts but started at the back and it didn't look like it was worth it...
      Yeah the back seat area was pretty close to the frame but you can drop the front probably a good half inch. I ended up with the radiator support dropped @3/8" when I got the fender-door gap rite. I don't know if it was worth it but I figured it didn't cost anything so what the heck.
      Justin Snow

    2. #162
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      297
      Nice job! Your work and progress to date is incredible, glad to see the project resuming. I have the poly bushings in mine, and was looking at bumper fitment a bit ago, noting that the rear body was sitting high. Looks like I'll be doing something similar to the back few bushings and core supports. Thanks for posting that.
      Luke
      '63 Chevy II wagon - project

    3. #163
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Mid-Michigan
      Posts
      136
      Country Flag: United States
      Justin, Justin....is it done yet?

      It looks killer!
      Aaron
      65 Chevelle, LS1 with a T56
      Project G-Velle

    4. #164
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Location
      Iowa
      Posts
      399
      Country Flag: United States
      I went with solid aluminum body bushings in my cutlass. The kit didnt come with bushing for the core support, do you know of a place that I can just order 2 mounts for the front? Im guessing it wouldnt be wise to have solid mounts for the core and thats why they dont come in the kit.
      Miles Boyer
      The car hobby is dangerous,if the speed doesn't kill you, the cost of parts will.
      91 V8 S10
      88 Cutlass Pro-Tour
      97 Chevy lifted Z-71
      96 Corvette

    5. #165
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Posts
      3
      you are a true artist and an inspiration to the rest of us...

      what an amazing build my friend.

      Great work!

    6. #166
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Eastern Virginia
      Posts
      3,963
      Country Flag: United States
      Looks Great.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS


    7. #167
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Peoria, AZ
      Posts
      1,758
      Country Flag: United States
      First off I love this build...

      I have a set of PolyGraphite body bushings setting on my bench ready to go in my car. My concern is more geared towards attaching the frame as tightly as possible to the body rather than lowering the body itself...but the cutting of the mounts with a bandsaw interests me greatly. I have heard and read that it can be necessary to trim one or more of the bushings to get equal pressure on all of them between the frame and body. 3/8s is more than I have heard though...curious if you ran into any other clearance issues such as trans cross member humps or bumpers? Also, how did you decide on the 3/8s trim? Careful pre-measuring first or just lopping off, putting in place and seeing how they landed?

      My plan is to get all of the new PolyGraphite bushings in place first, then start slowly replacing some of them with solid bushings to help firm up the frame flex. I'm curious of how I am going to get all of the bushing heights as best as I can though...should be fun.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

    8. #168
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      York, Pa
      Posts
      457
      Quote Originally Posted by 65_LS1_T56 View Post
      Justin, Justin....is it done yet?

      It looks killer!
      No, but I'm just happy to be making progress on it again. Slow n steady, Lol
      Justin Snow

    9. #169
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      York, Pa
      Posts
      457
      Quote Originally Posted by silvermonte View Post
      I went with solid aluminum body bushings in my cutlass. The kit didnt come with bushing for the core support, do you know of a place that I can just order 2 mounts for the front? Im guessing it wouldnt be wise to have solid mounts for the core and thats why they dont come in the kit.
      Im not sure about where to get just two mounts. All the aluminum kits I looked at appeared to not include the core support mounts.
      Justin Snow

    10. #170
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      York, Pa
      Posts
      457
      Quote Originally Posted by mciver1959 View Post
      you are a true artist and an inspiration to the rest of us...

      what an amazing build my friend.

      Great work!
      Wow, thanks man! That's how I feel when I look at a lot of the cool build threads on here.
      Justin Snow

    11. #171
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      York, Pa
      Posts
      457
      Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      First off I love this build...

      I have a set of PolyGraphite body bushings setting on my bench ready to go in my car. My concern is more geared towards attaching the frame as tightly as possible to the body rather than lowering the body itself...but the cutting of the mounts with a bandsaw interests me greatly. I have heard and read that it can be necessary to trim one or more of the bushings to get equal pressure on all of them between the frame and body. 3/8s is more than I have heard though...curious if you ran into any other clearance issues such as trans cross member humps or bumpers? Also, how did you decide on the 3/8s trim? Careful pre-measuring first or just lopping off, putting in place and seeing how they landed?

      My plan is to get all of the new PolyGraphite bushings in place first, then start slowly replacing some of them with solid bushings to help firm up the frame flex. I'm curious of how I am going to get all of the bushing heights as best as I can though...should be fun.
      I ended up with the 3/8" just because I wanted to drop the front 1/2" (and originally did), but then the core support needed shimmed up anyway to make the fender-door gaps rite. So I ended up @ 3/8" in the front. So far I don't see any clearance issues in the front. The back is close where the frame kicks up @ the upper control arm location but I think its still ok. ..I had two "sloppy" bushings in different locations that I will be doubling up the aluminum washers. So basically just use washers to shim the urethane bushings so they are all firm.
      Justin Snow

    12. #172
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Peoria, AZ
      Posts
      1,758
      Country Flag: United States
      Hmmm....Interesting. That seems like an easier method than trimming the taller bushings down until they are all tight at the same time. Thanks.

      Are you going to powder coat the aluminum washers? Any concern about electrolysis between the aluminum washers and the steel body?
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

    13. #173
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      York, Pa
      Posts
      457
      I've been working on getting a decent seat in the car. Since the factory seats offer little to no bolstering for performance driving, I picked up a set of Recaros from an early 90's VW for $375. Yes, Volkswagon! I drove like 4 hours to get these because they are hard to find in good condition with good foam. I really wanted this seat for the car because they look good and have nice bolsters, but mainly they are from the rite era. I didn't want a seat that was too modern or crazy looking.

      Justin Snow


    14. #174
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      York, Pa
      Posts
      457
      I'm planning on having the new seats re-upholstered to match the original GN seats. I have no idea how much that will cost or who will do it., I just know it needs done.
      Justin Snow

    15. #175
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      York, Pa
      Posts
      457
      Justin Snow

    16. #176
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      York, Pa
      Posts
      457
      Time to make the original GN seat track fit the Vdub spec Recaros.
      Justin Snow

    17. #177
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      York, Pa
      Posts
      457
      The Buick has a narrower seat track compared to the Recaros so I made this aluminum adapter-bracket-thingy.
      Justin Snow

    18. #178
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      York, Pa
      Posts
      457
      The front part was way off so I just welded some 1/2" tall bosses on the seat frame. I also cut out a rectangular area for the anti-sub strap of a 5-point harness to pass through. This way the upholstery guy can make the sub strap come up through the base of the seat. I tack welded some 3/16" rod around the hole so it has a rolled edge.
      Justin Snow

    19. #179
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Posts
      15

      Garage built Buick....GN

      Beautiful car. Question, do you still have your Simmons? If so are you willing to part with them and for how much?

    20. #180
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      York, Pa
      Posts
      457
      Sold the Simmons a year ago for 2g's. CCW makes a wheel very,very similar though.
      Justin Snow

    Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com