Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tremec TKX

Country Flag: United States
      Mine just came yesterday, bought it from Bowler. Very happy with dealing with Bowler, and they threw in a free shifter so that's a plus!
      Can't wait to pull the TKO & compare it to the TKX, but it won't happen for another month or so. I'll try and post pics & compare the shifting between the two. I'm leaving the clutch and everything else the same for a true comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by another69 View Post
      Mine just came yesterday, bought it from Bowler. Very happy with dealing with Bowler, and they threw in a free shifter so that's a plus!
      Can't wait to pull the TKO & compare it to the TKX, but it won't happen for another month or so. I'll try and post pics & compare the shifting between the two. I'm leaving the clutch and everything else the same for a true comparison.
      I just got mine as well, also from Bowler. Very impressed with how positive the shifter feels going through the gears.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

im #19 in line for a 3.27 first from american powertrain. they said tremec hadnt even started production of that version yet when i ordered.

In the TKO I always used GM syncromesh fluid. Tje tkx came with a slip of paper that recommends "TREMEC HP MTF". It's expensive & out of stock online. Any substitutions?

In the TKO I always used GM syncromesh fluid. Tje tkx came with a slip of paper that recommends "TREMEC HP MTF". It's expensive & out of stock online. Any substitutions?
      I'm curious as well. I'd call Tremec and ask...
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

That's weird, even Summit only has 1 case of 4 bottles left in stock. I wonder why the shortage, I'm not sure who Tremec's OEM is on this stuff. Glad I have some extra from my last fill to get me by.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

The TKX has probably sealed the fate of the TH400 in my 70 Firebird. I had a TKO in my 68 and loved it. As soon as I can save to buy and ship (I'm in England) it will be three pedal fun!

According to Bowler the GM syncromesh is fine, and they prefer the Royal Purple version. Tremec makes their own version, which is why they recommend it.

Any updates on these?

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      Any updates on these?
      They are shipping...I've seen a few installs on other forums.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I really like that 17722 GM gearing. Nice.

i ordered a 18083 on jan 11 and im still waiting. looking forward to it showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by TrendSetter View Post
      i ordered a 18083 on jan 11 and im still waiting. looking forward to it showing up.
      Name:  screen_shot_2020_11_05_at_3_56_42_pm_31600ed1c8b20f17035195aeca2fa3e400eb4376.png
Views: 1250
Size:  23.8 KB
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Anyone using the Tremec TKX ... How good is it?

I'm curious to see reviews of the new Tremec TKX. I swapped out my Mustang's toploader a number of years ago to a Tremec TKO 600 and have found it okay but didn't think it shifted as well at higher rpm. My friends thought it odd that I had any complaints about the TKO but now I see this TKX addresses the "problem" that I had never seen any reviews about ... the TKO's don't shift well at high rpm ( finally something that confirmed my suspicions ). I'm still running a T-10 in my '62 Corvette and have not changed it to a 5 speed yet, but the articles also state that the TKX is slightly more compact (?). Is that true?
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I thought the TKO's shifting problems were pretty well known. It's not happy at much beyond 6000 revs. Some guys have gotten them customized to work at 7000+ revs. Other guys were never happy with it at high revs even after getting it reworked.

Finally had a chance to drive this TKX. Ended up reworking my exhaust too, but that's another story. I tried to make the comparison as "apples to apples" as I could. I only swapped the trans, everything else stayed the same. Previous trans was a TKO600 with a spec clutch behind an LS3, with a hydraulic clutch. I was only able to get about 4deg of driveline angle which was too much.

Swapped in the TKX, and the 1st thing I noticed was that now I can get 3deg. That doesn't sound like much, but it means the trans mount is about 1" higher. Headers now fit better too. Everything else lined up exactly like the TKO except the neutral safety switch.

Filled it up with RP syncromax fluid and went for a drive. Shifting is WAY better even at low RPM. Really crisp & precise. Downshifting is better too, this trans is fantastic!

Thanks for the review. I am super excited to get mine installed.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Now I'm torn. Do I install the brand new in the box TKO600 or take the hit and order a TKX.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLATT71MC View Post
      Now I'm torn. Do I install the brand new in the box TKO600 or take the hit and order a TKX.
      Take the hit..

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Agreed - although I will probably hang on to my TKO. I like it, a good trans, but nowhere near the same as the TKX.
      It's almost like comparing an LS to a SBC. Seems like they got it right this time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com