Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 30
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Posts
      23

      Payback - Garage built full frame 66 fastback conversion mustang project

      Hello all, I've been waiting sometime to finally start a thread for my car. Since I was 17 I have been lurking these forums. Now I'm 23 years old and I'm building my all time vision of a dream car in the garage with the help of my dad, and a friend who is 20 years old who aspires to build cars like me as well. I have had a few late model mustangs, 70 c10s, and this is my second old mustang. Currently I have a fully built sn95 mustang and this car. I will be building a full custom frame for this car, drafting a fastback roof, using a four link rear suspension, c6 front suspension fabbed to fit my frame, custom floor pans, flares, 6 speed, and I'm not sure of the engine yet. The plan is too use alot of modern cnc accented features, some ringbrothers pieces, and to make my own custom sheet metal. Its going to be built 80% in my garage at my dads until we can take it to our paint shop for the finished product. Here is my progress as of now...the last pic is to show the mock up of the track width I want to run the car as I'm basing most of my dimension on a c6 z06.

      Specs:

      Car - 1966 Mustang Fastback(conversion)
      *tentative list*
      Suspension-
      Custom frame
      Heidt's rear four link
      JRI shocks
      c6 front suspension
      c6 rack
      custom sway bars

      Brakes-
      c6 z06 brake system
      wilwood master cylinder
      custom bent lines

      Powertrain-
      Engine ???
      t56 magnum
      Moser 9" housing, with 31 spline axles, and 3.70 gears
      Custom headers and 3" exhaust

      Exterior-
      Wheel flares
      Custom Scoops
      Ringbrothers accent trim

      Interior-
      Custom sheet metal
      Rackpak
      Ferrari inspire suede interior
      Bride Gias II seats

      Wheel/Tires-
      HRE 448r 18x10 and 18x12
      295/35/18 and 335/30/18 nitto nt555s and nt555r


      Attached Images Attached Images                                        
      1966 mustang pro touring project
      1998 ysi blown cobra
      2010 harley sporster cafe conversion

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Posts
      23
      Not really sure whats going on with the pics maybe a moderator can help me?
      1966 mustang pro touring project
      1998 ysi blown cobra
      2010 harley sporster cafe conversion

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jul 2014
      Posts
      65
      Country Flag: United States
      Looking good! Whos bronco? ANd is that a outboard just chilling in the back? lol

      Great project. I love ring brothers style builds and at some point will get to doing some of the stuff they can do. I think its cool to see more young guys like you getting into American muscle vs ricer stuff (which there is a lot of around San Diego). So keep the pics coming and the progress moving!
      1974 F250- 428 c6
      1959 F100 Project -For Sale
      1964 Falcon Sprint 347 4 speed Pro Touring build!
      Follow us on instagram @blueghostindustries
      http://www.enjoygram.com/blueghostindustries

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Posts
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by BlueGhost93 View Post
      Looking good! Whos bronco? ANd is that a outboard just chilling in the back? lol

      Great project. I love ring brothers style builds and at some point will get to doing some of the stuff they can do. I think its cool to see more young guys like you getting into American muscle vs ricer stuff (which there is a lot of around San Diego). So keep the pics coming and the progress moving!
      Thanks! I'm restoring the bronco for a customer and yes it is haha. I'm very motivated to get it done and I've always been a muscle guy!! I have always tried converting my friends to american cars. I'll keep you posted with pics!
      1966 mustang pro touring project
      1998 ysi blown cobra
      2010 harley sporster cafe conversion

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      ohio
      Posts
      1,135
      Country Flag: United States
      cool....
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      Houston
      Posts
      97
      Country Flag: United States
      Lots of nice work. I am also restoring and then some my '66 coupe. I will be posting pics soon. Keep up the good work!

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Posts
      140
      Country Flag: United States
      Nice fab work.

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Posts
      23
      Not a whole lot done tonight. Spent quite some time trying to get this squared up. Some progress is better than none lol.
      Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4721
Size:  178.1 KB
      1966 mustang pro touring project
      1998 ysi blown cobra
      2010 harley sporster cafe conversion

    9. #9
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      409
      Country Flag: United States
      Nice job so far. Having done the same thing as you I have a few suggestions that will make the whole thing go a lot easier.

      First get some 2x4 .250 tube and make a chassis table with screw jacks on all 4 corners. It will cost a bit but make it so much easier to level. Plus you can weld suspension jigs right to it.



      Before you hack it up too much figure you exact stance and ride height from reference points that arent going to move ex: rocker panel.

      Lastly you might not want to extend that frame horn all the way to the front bumper. In the event of an accident you will want some sort of crumple zone to protect you and to not completely bend the whole frame.

      Keep up the good work I like where this is going1
      Aldin
      1969 Camaro (Weapon of Choice) in the works


    10. #10
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Posts
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by 19,69camaro View Post
      Nice job so far. Having done the same thing as you I have a few suggestions that will make the whole thing go a lot easier.

      First get some 2x4 .250 tube and make a chassis table with screw jacks on all 4 corners. It will cost a bit but make it so much easier to level. Plus you can weld suspension jigs right to it.

      Before you hack it up too much figure you exact stance and ride height from reference points that arent going to move ex: rocker panel.

      Lastly you might not want to extend that frame horn all the way to the front bumper. In the event of an accident you will want some sort of crumple zone to protect you and to not completely bend the whole frame.

      Keep up the good work I like where this is going1
      Thank you for the advice! I have been brainstorming alot lately. The jig idea has been floating around I want to make one I need to do some research on how to make it properly. I think im going to draft in the late model crush beams from a mustang into my front nose to help with the issues. If you have anymore advice please share. This is our first build of the caliber and we are still learning a lot.
      1966 mustang pro touring project
      1998 ysi blown cobra
      2010 harley sporster cafe conversion

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Posts
      58
      Country Flag: Jamaica
      I wouldn't worry about a frame jig.. I'm building a round tube car with no jig.. I did level the car out on a stand with 4x6 legs on the sills, everything I put on the car is level, so hopefully it'll work out okay.
      89 Volvo 244- Daily Driver Mazda 2.3 turbo engine with 5R55E trans
      75 Volvo 242- Tubbed round tube chassis car, 2JZ with 4L80E

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Posts
      118
      Country Flag: United States
      Nice build so far! I have a 67 that the bottom is rotted out that I would like to do the same thing to.
      Eddie

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Location
      Apex, NC
      Posts
      1,020
      Country Flag: United States
      Looking sweet. I remember that stage

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Posts
      23
      Ok guys I've been sick with a bacteria infection for a week, so I only got two days worth of work in since the last time I posted. I have had a few things get sorted out. Picked up a t5 for a sbf as my transmission, it will be sent off to gforce and bulletproofed to 600 rwtq with a quicktime bellhousing. I also obtained a sbf for a mock up motor but the plan is getting a used roush yates motor for it in the future. The crossmember and c6 control arm mounts have arrived along with a moser 9" housing, and a 4 link setup that will be run with custom jri shocks. As far as progress I got the fender braces built and mocked up in place. Hoping to have the other fender and hood fitted tomorrow. Needing advice also on what rack to run with a 66 mustang front end width with c6 suspension. Anything you guys can see I need to change let me know!








      1966 mustang pro touring project
      1998 ysi blown cobra
      2010 harley sporster cafe conversion

    15. #15
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      409
      Country Flag: United States
      The new pics weren't working for me
      Aldin
      1969 Camaro (Weapon of Choice) in the works

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Posts
      23
      There working just fine for me. Are they not showing up for anyone else?
      1966 mustang pro touring project
      1998 ysi blown cobra
      2010 harley sporster cafe conversion

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Posts
      37
      I'm so glad you posted the frame-build pics. I have a 67' fastback that is far gone, but would be a perfect for a full-frame. My confusion was around where to even start, and this gives me a good idea. What are the dimensions and thicknesses of the steel? Also, I see guys changing out the stock-style Mustang front ends that were sheet metal, to either round or square steel tube. My question is, does this require the use of a cage to tie it all together, especially at the firewall?

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Posts
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by BigPerm View Post
      I'm so glad you posted the frame-build pics. I have a 67' fastback that is far gone, but would be a perfect for a full-frame. My confusion was around where to even start, and this gives me a good idea. What are the dimensions and thicknesses of the steel? Also, I see guys changing out the stock-style Mustang front ends that were sheet metal, to either round or square steel tube. My question is, does this require the use of a cage to tie it all together, especially at the firewall?
      thanks glad there helpfull! I don't have the exact dimensions off hand but I have them wrote down some where. The steel is 11 gauge 2x2 and 2x3. It wouldn't think so because as is its already stronger than the stock unibody I would guess so? Maybe someone else can chime in.
      1966 mustang pro touring project
      1998 ysi blown cobra
      2010 harley sporster cafe conversion

    19. #19
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Location
      Katy, Tx
      Posts
      309
      Country Flag: United States
      Looks like good progress...

    20. #20
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      114
      Country Flag: United States
      Awesome work Billy! So is this where you've been hanging out these days?
      95 Rio Red Mustang Cobra
      Procharger D1SC 347 stroker, full maximum motorsports suspension, Full Tilt Boogie 03 Cobra IRS, Tremec 3550, 19x9.5 and 19x11 HRE 542R. 566rwhp/614rwtq

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ra-OCD-Machine

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com