Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 15 of 15
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Somerset County NJ
      Posts
      20

      Anyone mess with the electric brake booster set ups?

      I've got a 79' TransAm w/ the WS6 4 wheel disc brakes, running a LQ4 6.0 with an Elgin cam, pretty big. The brakes have always sucked, Ive gone through all the steps of adjusting the rear calipers, checking and adjusting the stop on the proportioning valve, bleeding several times, the brakes still suck.

      I've heard good things about the electric boosters so I ordered up a CPP electric booster assembly and looking forward to playing with it. Anyone else have one?

      https://classicperform.com/shop/brak...-brake-booster.


      LQ4 Swapped TA Cam

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Location
      Santa Barbara, Ca
      Posts
      1,174
      What exactly is bad about your brakes, and what is your booster setup now?
      Andy

      1967 Camaro RS
      Magnacharged LS1/T56
      543 rwhp, 516 rwtq
      Sold

      1968 Firebird
      LS427/570 and T56 Magnum


    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Somerset County NJ
      Posts
      20
      Quote Originally Posted by streetk14 View Post
      What exactly is bad about your brakes, and what is your booster setup now?
      It's got the OE WS6 9" dual diaphragm vacuum booster, MC, and prop valve. The brakes are low, and have very little strength, I'm thinking one of the diaphragms in the booster is likely bad. The cam doesn't give great vacuum either so I was going to go Hydro boost, but I'm intrigued by the electric set ups and have heard some good reports on them.

      Was hoping someone here had 1st hand experience.

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Mountain Springs, Texas
      Posts
      4,862
      Country Flag: United States
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Somerset County NJ
      Posts
      20
      Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post

      Thank you!

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Somerset County NJ
      Posts
      20
      Well, got the kit and installed it. The kit is nice quality and mounting brackets are CNC made, the bracket that mounts booster to the firewall needed a little modification because the bolt hole for the studs on the firewall were too small. The kit over all is OK but you will likely need to make new lines yourself and relocate the proportioning valve.

      On my car the prop valve wouldn't fit due to the wheel well. I bent the lines and pushed it in just to complete the install, I'll make new lines and relocate the valve this winter more than likely. The brakes have a completely different feel to them, less mechanical which makes sense, hard to describe but the car has exponentially better braking. Overall I'm pretty happy with them if that helps anyone else.

      Name:  Booster.jpg
Views: 3968
Size:  309.0 KB

    7. #7
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Posts
      145
      I am considering a similar kit. How is the break pedal feel?

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Location
      Oregon coast
      Posts
      255
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by JuStBlAzIN View Post
      I am considering a similar kit. How is the break pedal feel?
      I’ve got the CPP kit. Pedal feel is pretty similar to a newer car. Light, responsive right off the top, lost of power that really ramps up the further you get into the pedal. I had to re-learn how to brake a bit in my Pontiac swapping from a vacuum set up to the ibooster. One thing I did to give me a bit more modulation and to make the brakes a bit less touchy was to drill another hole about an inch above the stock power brake hole on the pedal arm. I found if I mounted the brake pedal clevis in the stock power brake hole it was just a bit too touchy.



    9. #9
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Somerset County NJ
      Posts
      20
      Quote Originally Posted by JuStBlAzIN View Post
      I am considering a similar kit. How is the break pedal feel?
      I was having persistent issues with my braking system overall, the second gen WS6 systems are notoriously difficult to get feeling "good".


      Quote Originally Posted by boss_hoss View Post
      I’ve got the CPP kit. Pedal feel is pretty similar to a newer car. Light, responsive right off the top, lost of power that really ramps up the further you get into the pedal. I had to re-learn how to brake a bit in my Pontiac swapping from a vacuum set up to the ibooster. One thing I did to give me a bit more modulation and to make the brakes a bit less touchy was to drill another hole about an inch above the stock power brake hole on the pedal arm. I found if I mounted the brake pedal clevis in the stock power brake hole it was just a bit too touchy.
      Well said, I would describe it as a bit "disconnected", from a driving feel/experience perspective.
      My car has much better braking with this set up and I like new technology so I'm pretty happy overall.

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      Location
      Las Vegas, NV
      Posts
      31
      Country Flag: United States
      Totally agree with everyone else, the pedal feel is really light like a new car. I'm not a competition/track guy but I suspect if you were, you wouldn't like them. With that said, they work great. Here's a short video I did after the install.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJgKLGURRo0
      Scott Atkinson
      68 Camaro SS in progress
      Las Vegas, NV / Redondo Beach, CA

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Oct 2004
      Posts
      2,624
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by boss_hoss View Post
      I’ve got the CPP kit. Pedal feel is pretty similar to a newer car. Light, responsive right off the top, lost of power that really ramps up the further you get into the pedal. I had to re-learn how to brake a bit in my Pontiac swapping from a vacuum set up to the ibooster. One thing I did to give me a bit more modulation and to make the brakes a bit less touchy was to drill another hole about an inch above the stock power brake hole on the pedal arm. I found if I mounted the brake pedal clevis in the stock power brake hole it was just a bit too touchy.
      Are you saying you more or less moved it from the pedal pivot point to the manual pivot point? Once you did that was it enough that it would be comfortable on a track?
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Location
      Oregon coast
      Posts
      255
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      Are you saying you more or less moved it from the pedal pivot point to the manual pivot point? Once you did that was it enough that it would be comfortable on a track?
      I basically split the difference between the power brake pivot point and the manual brake pivot point. It’s pretty easy with the CPP kit because it comes with an offset adapter for the Ibooster pedal rod. Instead of running in it the stock configuration which puts the pivot point in the stock boosted location I rotated the offset adapter 180 so that the pedal pivot moved up about an 1” then re drilled the hole where the brake pedal clevis landed. Pedal is still light but much more modulation. I wouldn’t have a problem running it on a track.

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Location
      Oregon coast
      Posts
      255
      Country Flag: United States
      Just flip this piece so that the rod is on
      the top Name:  IMG_6172.jpeg
Views: 3125
Size:  72.1 KB

    14. #14
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Posts
      145
      What is the fail safe should the booster stop working or power gets cut to it?

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Beach Park IL
      Posts
      3,046
      Country Flag: United States
      Same as the failsafe if your vacuum hose falls off the booster. You still have direct mechanical linkage to master cylinder, just no assist.
      Donny

      Support your local hot rod shop!




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com