Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Fuel line recommendations...

Got a second-gen Camaro with full Speedtech Extreme suspension, LS427/570, T56, Rick's Tanks Restomod with ZL1 fuel pump, and VaporWorx PressureWorx ZL1/Universal pwm fuel module controller. Gotta work out fuel lines. I spent some time on the phone with Carl from VaporWorx, which turned out to be an invaluable call, and he gave me some great recommendations. I'm just looking to get the hive mind's feedback as well. I was recommended hard lines all through the middle with flexible lines on the front and back. I spoke with Speedtech as well and they do complete flexible lines through a lot of their cars. Some of the vendors I was recommended were Fragola, Goodridge, Classic Tube, and Pegasus.

At this point, the only thing I know is I'm using AN6 lines. I like the idea of bending my own hard lines, but I also like the idea of an easy install with flexible lines. I need to figure out if I'm doing flexible lines entirely or a combination of flexible and hard lines. What are you guys doing out there? Which products are you using for your tubes and fittings? What else do I need to take into consideration? Any and all feedback is very much welcomed.

Thank you!
      1973 Camaro: LS427/570, T56, Speedtech ExtReme subframe/torque arm

I’m in the same spot as you. I actually just ordered my fuel system from Rodney at Suspension Geek this week. Although he’s a suspension business, he is also a Holley dealer.

I ended up going 3/8” aluminum line which is equivalent to 6AN.

I use 3/8 nicopp hardline. For the flex I use Holley Vaporguard hose and fittings. Not a fan of Teflon lined braided hose.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I use 3/8 nicopp hardline. For the flex I use Holley Vaporguard hose and fittings. Not a fan of Teflon lined braided hose.

Don
      I’ll look into nicopp as an option. Teflon-lined braided hoses have been a consistent recommendation, if I was to go flexible. Why aren’t you a fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathonar89 View Post
      I’m in the same spot as you. I actually just ordered my fuel system from Rodney at Suspension Geek this week. Although he’s a suspension business, he is also a Holley dealer.

I ended up going 3/8” aluminum line which is equivalent to 6AN.
      Was it a pre-bent kit with fittings or was it more of a raw materials thing and you’re bending your own?

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
      I’ll put Nicopp on the list to check out. Teflon-lined braided hoses have been a consistent recommendation, if I was to go flexible. Why aren’t you a fan?
      Its stiff and kinks easily and I don’t care for the look. Vaporguard has a nice OEM look and black fittings. It’s also easy to assemble.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by Don
      It's stiff and kinks easily and I don’t care for the look
      This stuff? It's anything but stiff :

Name:  3490-PLUS.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  9.6 KB

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...kaAomSEALw_wcB
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I used nicopp 3/8” line along the frame front to back. Then used the vaporguard hose and their fittings to connect to the hardline. Nicopp is pretty easy to use and it’s cheap. I got 25’ from Amazon for $50. I would recommend since it’s your first time making lines (like me) is to order some 3/16” nicopp line to make a template. The 3/16” line is dirt cheap on Amazon I’m talking under $20!

The reason I recommend making a template is because I ran my line then didn’t like it so I bent it back, ruined it so instead of spending $50 mistake your at $20. Also the 3/16” line is much smaller so it’s way easier to work with. In the end you’ll have a great template for the 3/8” line. I used about 10’ of the 3/8” line for fuel.

The rest I’m using to run trans fluid to the radiator/cooler. For trans fluid cooler lines I’m also using the same 3/8” nicopp lines along the frame rails then using the Mr. Gasket push on hose with their fittings for connecting from trans to hardline then hardline to radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      This stuff? It's anything but stiff :

Name:  3490-PLUS.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  9.6 KB

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...kaAomSEALw_wcB
      Touché..... A little pricey for the likes of me. I’ll stick with the Vaporguard.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Flex front to rear on my Cougar.
      Tracey

I would be careful with the aluminum line... most is not rated for the 58psi rated fuel pressure.

Also 3/8" is marginally small. I would use -8 line.

My vote is stainless braided Teflon. Easy to route, indefinite life span, impervious to chemicals & will never rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance View Post
      I would be careful with the aluminum line... most is not rated for the 58psi rated fuel pressure.

Also 3/8" is marginally small. I would use -8 line.

My vote is stainless braided Teflon. Easy to route, indefinite life span, impervious to chemicals & will never rust.
      Earl’s low-pressure aluminum lines are rated to 100psi and not that expensive.

Was it a pre-bent kit with fittings or was it more of a raw materials thing and you’re bending your own?
      Making my own bends.

https://www.holley.com/products/plum...arts/120034ERL

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      I used nicopp 3/8” line along the frame front to back. Then used the vaporguard hose and their fittings to connect to the hardline. Nicopp is pretty easy to use and it’s cheap. I got 25’ from Amazon for $50. I would recommend since it’s your first time making lines (like me) is to order some 3/16” nicopp line to make a template. The 3/16” line is dirt cheap on Amazon I’m talking under $20!
      I really like the idea of bending all of my lines. If I decide to that, I really like this idea of building a template from smaller/cheaper material first. Looks like a cheap way to gain hands on experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tsaints1115 View Post
      Flex front to rear on my Cougar.
      Which lines and fittings did you use?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance View Post
      Any particular brand for the lines and fittings?

Question on hard lines. There's seems to be a handful of popular materials out there. Steel, stainless-steel, aluminum, nicopp. Other than the obvious strength differences between them, why would one be preferred over the other? Do any of them have certain fuel restrictions?

I bought a classic tube 3/8” metal fuel line and used tube to AN adapters to push lock hose for my connections at the tank and engine. Worked great! The only bend I had to make was in the engine compartment. I bent the line at the stock frame rail connection to route up behind the engine,to better conceal the line.

Question on hard lines. There's seems to be a handful of popular materials out there. Steel, stainless-steel, aluminum, nicopp. Other than the obvious strength differences between them, why would one be preferred over the other? Do any of them have certain fuel restrictions?
      I wouldn't use aluminum with any fuel that contains ethanol. I like NiCopp because it is easy to bend and flare and is non-corrosive. I also like how looks.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Has anyone considered running the PTFE line for hotrodfuelhose? looks like an easy option

Which lines and fittings did you use?
      Russell ProFlex and Russell and Earl's fittings.
      Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue
      Steel, stainless-steel, aluminum, nicopp. Other than the obvious strength differences between them, why would one be preferred over the other? Do any of them have certain fuel restrictions?
      I've used all those materials. All will work fine.

• I prefer nicopp: it's easy to work, and bends and flares easily. It comes in rolls, so you have to work a bit to make the straight sections "straight". Still, I don't use anything else anymore.
      • Aluminum comes in several alloys and stiffness, from the completely annealed rolls you get from Summit/Jegs to the very stiff sticks you can get from McMaster-Carr. I've had success with all of them, and prefer to start with the straight versions.
      • Steel rusts, so you need to paint it or coat it after it's been bent to shape.
      • Stainless looks nice but is a real bitch to flare, and often cracks at the flares when used for brake lines. It tends to seep through flares in general too.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com