Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 31
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States

      Project Stealth - 1971 Oldsmobile 442, the first car project for two NYC guys!

      So, I've been on the forums for about two years now, reading, learning and admiring everybody's great projects and amazing fabrication and mechanical skills. Well, it's now the time for me to do a project of my own.
      First, a little bit about me.
      I'm originally from Russia, though I've been in America for 30 years now. No, no "Boris and Natasha" accent, lol. ))) Went to school, then college, then 6 years in the Air Force, where my love for all things automotive grew and grew. My first car there was a 5-speed 97 Neon sedan, single cam. I did a bunch of engine and suspension mods and went from knowing nothing to being able to do pretty much anything I need to do on a car. Having said that, my knowledge on "classic" cars and V8 engines is fairly limited.
      Now, I've been in the corporate world for the last 10 years, in Sales, Marketing and Business Development. I'm good at it and do well for myself, but I'not exactly psyched getting up in the morning, "yay, I get to sell crap to companies and work for the man". I've decided to leave it and pursue my passion - working on cars. I'm starting school in Lincoln Tech later this month to get a solid understanding and full proficiency of all things automotive (not fabrication and body work though, just mechanical).

      And now about the car. My good friend Z has had this for 20 years, since he was 18. For the last 5 years it has been sitting in his yard after it threw a rod. One of the reasons we've decided to name the project "Stealth" is that it kind of crept up on us. A month ago we didn't know that we were going to be starting on this project. Two weeks ago I went to Z's place in Long Island to take a look at this car he's been telling me about and we both realized by that evening that we're doing this. This is what I found:













      The key cylinder is locked with the key in it. ))



      The trunk contained a full Flowmaster exhaust, never installed:





      Post #2 will have the bad news, lol...

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States
      By the way, anybody have problems in with mass uploading photos? I have a bunch of other pictures of damage, rust, engine components, etc, but it's a PITA to upload each one individually...

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States

      Thrown Rod

      So, about that thrown rod. It's actually sticking out of a fist-sized hole in the oil-pan... GNARLY!!!






    4. #4
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States

      Body Damage and Rust




















      The car was originally blue, I believe. This is behind the weather-stripping on the driver's side door, which is all rotted to hell...



      There's an Edelbrock carb... Plate is stuck, everything needs to be taken apart and rebuilt, if I'm not mistaken.









      There's also an Accell coil, and an electronic Purolator fuel pump - that's not connected, just sitting there.





      Brake booster and master cylinder look like crap, will prob be easier to get a new assembly from Summit or OPGI rather than trying to clean and restore this one, right?


    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States
      So, there you have it. According to the VIN, the car was built in Framingham, MA, and is a Holiday Coupe. No idea what all was done to it before my buddy got it... Haven't had a chance to look at the tranny number, can't get to it yet. The rear-end is a 10-bolt, can't find the number either. Could be under all the dirt and gunk back there...






      We have a lot of work ahead of. This will be a learning process for us, and we'll take any advice you guys will give us... This is to be a daily driver, a cruiser with a pro-touring twist. Matte black, black everything, de-chromed, possibly de-badged. Not an autocross warrior, but a decent canyon carver.

      Next step is bumpers and fenders have to go off, then the engine gets pulled.

      Guys, if anybody is in Long Island or in the Tri-State area and would like to drop by to look at the old girl or help out, we would love that!

      Any advice, suggestions would be awesome as well...

      This is an amazing community and I hope that our project will be of interest to everyone, veteran car builders and rookies alike. Thanks for tuning in! More updates coming soon!

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      2,665
      Country Flag: United States
      Welcome aboard.... Not a bad start, I've seen a lot worse projects on here. Only thing I can say is if you're not ready to paint, I would take my front in off in one piece.
      Well now you need decide what to do with your motor situation... That rear is a the corporate 8.5". New and used parts are readily available all over the place so upgrades or repairs should cost an arm and leg.

      Once you dig further, I'm sure myself and others will be able to offer more feedback. Good luck....
      Big dreams, small pockets....

      Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Forgeline, Speedtech, ATS, Speartech, KORE3, Ridetech coilovers

      Project Motor City Madness

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      Only thing I can say is if you're not ready to paint, I would take my front in off in one piece. Well now you need decide what to do with your motor situation... That rear is a the corporate 8.5". New and used parts are readily available all over the place so upgrades or repairs should cost an arm and leg.
      You mean they should not cost an arm and a leg, right? ))) And can you explain about the one-piece front end? One of the reasons I want to take everything off in pieces is to see what kind of damage we're dealing with... Plus we don't have much storage space at this point, though that's soon to change.

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      2,665
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
      You mean they should not cost an arm and a leg, right? ))) And can you explain about the one-piece front end? One of the reasons I want to take everything off in pieces is to see what kind of damage we're dealing with... Plus we don't have much storage space at this point, though that's soon to change.
      You are right, that should have read "should not"....
      By taking the front end off in one piece, I meant : removing the hood, then removing the bolts that hold the fenders to the firewall. Removing the 2 bolt at the bottom of each fender extension. Unbolt the radiator support mounts and lift. The core support, fenders and inner fender wells remain connected to each other.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

      Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Forgeline, Speedtech, ATS, Speartech, KORE3, Ridetech coilovers

      Project Motor City Madness

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      You are right, that should have read "should not"....
      By taking the front end off in one piece, I meant : removing the hood, then removing the bolts that hold the fenders to the firewall. Removing the 2 bolt at the bottom of each fender extension. Unbolt the radiator support mounts and lift. The core support, fenders and inner fender wells remain connected to each other.
      That would actually be convenient, but I need to see what shape the core support itself is in, and see what the chassis front looks like, the cross member, etc. Besides, we have limited storage space right now, so the more compact everything is, the better.

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      The City of Fountains
      Posts
      16,125
      Country Flag: United States
      Sasha,

      Welcome to the forum. Some people here know this, but many don't, but I am originally from the USSR. Lived here since 1980...

      Looking forward to updates.

      Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @dr__efi
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

      "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      42
      Country Flag: United States
      Ha sasha. Congrads on the new project. Im from the island too. If you guys need to look for some parts theres a big 3 day swap meet in Englishtown new jersey at raceway park this fri,sat, and sunday. Its only about 1-1/2 hours away. Ive been going for 15 years now and you could find alot of stuff you need. Also theres a few car shows comming up on long island. Im in suffolk so thats were they are. Sun oct 4 at magarther airport is a big show and swap meet were you can look at cars and talk to people about advice and opinions. Car show guys love to talk about cars and give advice. Sun oct 11 theres a show n swap at the brentwood suffolk comunity college run by the long island hot rod association. And sun oct 18 at flowerfields in ST. James. Good shows to go to even just to talk to people. Good luck

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Sasha,

      Welcome to the forum. Some people here know this, but many don't, but I am originally from the USSR. Lived here since 1980...

      Looking forward to updates.

      Andrew
      Very cool! I lived all over Europe, actually. Was born in Prague, then we were in Budapest, Berlin, Warsaw and only then Moscow. Came here in 1986.

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Bobby326 View Post
      Ha sasha. Congrads on the new project. Im from the island too. If you guys need to look for some parts theres a big 3 day swap meet in Englishtown new jersey at raceway park this fri,sat, and sunday. Its only about 1-1/2 hours away. Ive been going for 15 years now and you could find alot of stuff you need. Also theres a few car shows comming up on long island. Im in suffolk so thats were they are. Sun oct 4 at magarther airport is a big show and swap meet were you can look at cars and talk to people about advice and opinions. Car show guys love to talk about cars and give advice. Sun oct 11 theres a show n swap at the brentwood suffolk comunity college run by the long island hot rod association. And sun oct 18 at flowerfields in ST. James. Good shows to go to even just to talk to people. Good luck
      Bobby, thanks so much for the info! You're welcome to drop by any time this coming weekend, if you want, we'll be taking off the front end either Saturday or Sunday. The car's in Merick, if I'm not mistaken.

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      2,665
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
      Bobby, thanks so much for the info! You're welcome to drop by any time this coming weekend, if you want, we'll be taking off the front end either Saturday or Sunday. The car's in Merick, if I'm not mistaken.
      Right near my old home, I grew up in Freeport....
      Big dreams, small pockets....

      Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Forgeline, Speedtech, ATS, Speartech, KORE3, Ridetech coilovers

      Project Motor City Madness

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States

      Dropped Spindles

      So, one of the goals of the project is to improve the handling of the old girl, but with a sensible budget of course. I found these dropped spindles by Fatman Fabrications (http://www.fatmanfabrications.co/pro...pindles-gtech/). 2" drop, eliminates bumpsteer, and at $299 the price seems to be great.

      Any thoughts or other suggestions? Also, what would be the bang best for the buck for upper/lower A-arms? I found Code 510's products, they have a full lower and upper set for $427.99. Any experience with their products? And what are the best choices for rear suspension components, in your guys' opinions? Energy Suspension bushings will go all around to replace anything rubber, of course. Looking at sway bars as well, and will have the frame boxed, along with G-Force cross member.

      Thoughts?

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States

      Rear Seat Frame Bracing

      Came across this Frame Bracing kit, have any of you guys used this?

      http://www.mikesmontes.com/Rear-Seat...it_p_1102.html

      I figure the more we can stiffen up the chassis and frame, the better...
      Project "Stealth" - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-two-NYC-guys!

      1971 Oldsmobile 442

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      2,665
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
      Came across this Frame Bracing kit, have any of you guys used this?

      http://www.mikesmontes.com/Rear-Seat...it_p_1102.html

      I figure the more we can stiffen up the chassis and frame, the better...
      I'm not sure if you noticed, but that appears to be a G Body site. There is no need for bracing like that in an A body...
      Big dreams, small pockets....

      Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Forgeline, Speedtech, ATS, Speartech, KORE3, Ridetech coilovers

      Project Motor City Madness

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States
      True, but that's specifically for a '71 Cutlass, or so it says... I mean it's only $70 or so... I dunno, we'll see...

      Project "Stealth" - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-two-NYC-guys!

      1971 Oldsmobile 442


    19. #19
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      2,665
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
      True, but that's specifically for a '71 Cutlass, or so it says... I mean it's only $70 or so... I dunno, we'll see...
      Sash, read the description... It says "Originally from GM, the GNX cars had a special one-piece welded-on brace in the same general area..." The GNX is a G Body car. The home page of the site even says its for G Bodies.
      "Welcome to Mike's Montes LLC Your #1 source for 81' to 88' Monte Carlo SS and G-body parts. " Unless I'm missing something, I see no where on the site where I would think this or any other part fits a 68-72 A body... If you look at the structure behind the rear seat in your car, there is no reason for this. Its your money, but you can spend that $70 somewhere else.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

      Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Forgeline, Speedtech, ATS, Speartech, KORE3, Ridetech coilovers

      Project Motor City Madness

    20. #20
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States
      That's what I thought too, until I saw that this part is actually under the Oldsmobile Cutlass subsection. They also have a small update section where they say that they are now offering parts for other GM cars, Cutlasses included.

      "We have recently expanded our product line to include parts for similar GM models, such as the Buick Grand National, Oldmobile Cutlass, Chevy El Camino, and many others."

      I'm going to write them and get the info straight from them, just to have the right info.

      Chris, do you have any input on the spindles and suspension parts I post prior to the brace post?
      Project "Stealth" - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-two-NYC-guys!

      1971 Oldsmobile 442

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com