Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Results 21 to 31 of 31
    1. #21
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      2,665
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
      That's what I thought too, until I saw that this part is actually under the Oldsmobile Cutlass subsection. They also have a small update section where they say that they are now offering parts for other GM cars, Cutlasses included. I'm going to write them and get it straight from them, then will post.

      Chris, do you have any input on the spindles and suspension parts I post prior to the brace post?
      They are just saying other G Body cars because they list the Monte SS as being their specialty.

      Although I have heard of Fatman Fab, I do not have any experience with them or know anyone with experiences to reference. I would say that if the ridetech spindles work with control arms other than their own, get those. You can use the $70 saved not getting those useless braces. One thing I can say and many other's here will attest is that ridetech will provide support on all products they sell and are here on the suspension forum helping with issues.



      If you look deeper, they are manufactured by a company called MBM. I found just a blurb here from a long time ago. Just put into perspective what the car is really for before you spend your money. Is it a cruiser or do you plan to bang on it? Search ebay and the classified on here and Lat-G, you'll be surprised what you can find when people decide to upgrade to full chassis and such.

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...M-tubular-arms
      Big dreams, small pockets....

      Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Forgeline, Speedtech, ATS, Speartech, KORE3, Ridetech coilovers

      Project Motor City Madness


    2. #22
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      They are just saying other G Body cars because they list the Monte SS as being their specialty.

      Although I have heard of Fatman Fab, I do not have any experience with them or know anyone with experiences to reference. I would say that if the ridetech spindles work with control arms other than their own, get those. You can use the $70 saved not getting those useless braces. One thing I can say and many other's here will attest is that ridetech will provide support on all products they sell and are here on the suspension forum helping with issues.

      If you look deeper, they are manufactured by a company called MBM. I found just a blurb here from a long time ago. Just put into perspective what the car is really for before you spend your money. Is it a cruiser or do you plan to bang on it? Search ebay and the classified on here and Lat-G, you'll be surprised what you can find when people decide to upgrade to full chassis and such.

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...M-tubular-arms
      Alright, you got me, no need for the braces, lol. )))))))))))

      The car is to be a cruiser, with occasional canyon-carving weekends. No auto-x plans as of right now.
      Project "Stealth" - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-two-NYC-guys!

      1971 Oldsmobile 442

    3. #23
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States
      Checked with Mike from Mike's Montes. The braces ARE for the Cutlass, though only from '78 to '88. So, you 5th gen guys have a part you can use, my mistake is a tip for you, perhaps.
      Project "Stealth" - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-two-NYC-guys!

      1971 Oldsmobile 442

    4. #24
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      2,665
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
      Checked with Mike from Mike's Montes. The braces ARE for the Cutlass, though only from '78 to '88. So, you 5th gen guys have a part you can use, my mistake is a tip for you, perhaps.
      As I said... Its not model specific, its a G Body part which covers Monte, Cutlass, Grand Nation, Grand Prix, of the era. Your Cutlass is an A Body. You're stuck on the Model of the car(Cutlass), you need to look at the platform ie A body, G Body... More specifically '68-72 A Body.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

      Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Forgeline, Speedtech, ATS, Speartech, KORE3, Ridetech coilovers

      Project Motor City Madness

    5. #25
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      As I said... Its not model specific, its a G Body part which covers Monte, Cutlass, Grand Nation, Grand Prix, of the era. Your Cutlass is an A Body. You're stuck on the Model of the car(Cutlass), you need to look at the platform ie A body, G Body... More specifically '68-72 A Body.
      I know. Sometimes the brain just fizzles and shuts down, with logic and common sense going out the window. ))))))))))
      Project "Stealth" - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-two-NYC-guys!

      1971 Oldsmobile 442

    6. #26
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      The City of Fountains
      Posts
      16,125
      Country Flag: United States
      There is a similar brace made for 68-72 A-bodies.

      Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @dr__efi
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

      "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

    7. #27
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      The City of Fountains
      Posts
      16,125
      Country Flag: United States
      Never mind. I thought it was a front frame brace, which they do now make for A-bodies. I don't see any advantage to bracing the rear seat area on an A-body, because they are solid in that area, stock.

      Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @dr__efi
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

      "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

    8. #28
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Never mind. I thought it was a front frame brace, which they do now make for A-bodies. I don't see any advantage to bracing the rear seat area on an A-body, because they are solid in that area, stock.

      Andrew
      Andrew (or should I say Andrei? ), who makes that?


      Also, I'm looking at the brake system, and I think money would be better spent on upgrading equipment, rather than refurbishing or replacing the existing stock pieces. Thinking it would be a good idea to do a rear conversion to disc brakes, any tips on that? Also, is there an aftermarket upgrade to the master cylinder and booster?
      Project "Stealth" - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-two-NYC-guys!

      1971 Oldsmobile 442

    9. #29
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      Georgia
      Posts
      2,178
      Country Flag: United States
      Sasha, looks like a great project to start with. The rust looks to be the only difficult part so far, and that can be overcome with a lot of work. Remember, what you see is usually only 25-50% of the actual rust. For your brake questions, I just sent a pm with all the part numbers / components of my build. For anyone else wanting to copy what I've done, here is what I used on Project Sabre:

      The booster is a hydroboost unit with master out of an Astrovan. I removed the astrovan mounting plate and installed a Tallon Hydraulics billet mount / adapter to bolt up to the cutlass firewall. The lines are inline tube hardlines, and the flexible lines were sourced online in varying lengths with various ends to fit my specific set-up. On the booster and master, I got them in a boneyard and used them as cores for the new units through rockauto.com. Here are the p/n's for the hydro and master:

      Master: RAYBESTOS MC39961
      Hydroboost: A-1 CARDONE 527333

      Here is the Tallon Hydraulics mounting plate I used: http://www.tallonhydraulics.com/stor...19fe3f646f8de7

    10. #30
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      The City of Fountains
      Posts
      16,125
      Country Flag: United States
      Hopefully this car is running and driving by now.

      Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @dr__efi
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

      "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

    11. #31
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Chicago burbs
      Posts
      247
      Country Flag: United States
      I'm glad Andrew bumped this. I'd love to see where your at with the 442. Three years is a long time-this thing may be a supercharged LS3 with Aston Martin rear suspension by now lol!

      1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com