Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 11 of 11
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Strasbourg, France
      Posts
      143
      Country Flag: France

      turbo oil return pump

      Hello
      I have a pump for the return of oil from the turbo to the pan because the turbo is in the back.
      pump from RBracing:

      Is there a problem to plump the pump directly on the bottom of the turbo? I heard the pump might make vacuum in the turbo housing.
      First I was planning to put a vented can between the turbo and the pump but I wonder if it is really needed or not.
      What is your experience for those using a return pump?
      Thanks
      Guillaume

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Roanoke (FortWorth) Texas
      Posts
      786
      I have no user experience but I've read somewhere that it is necessary to either let the pump run for another 30 seconds after shutdown or use a "vented can" to allow the oil to drain out so it doesnt cook inside the turbo. I do not see a can listed as a part included in the STS kits so it may not be necessary. I am interested in what you find out though as I plan on doing this myself in the future.
      Chris

      Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

    3. #3
      Join Date
      May 2001
      Location
      Mesa, Az.
      Posts
      1,434
      Country Flag: United States
      Here is the oil pump page out of the STS instructions. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other sections...

      Attached Images Attached Images
      Phillip
      64 Studebaker Daytona Twin Turbo- http://bit.ly/1SgxQ0g
      65 Cutlass F-85 - http://bit.ly/1W4lJm4

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Strasbourg, France
      Posts
      143
      Country Flag: France
      Thanks fgor the instructions.
      the pump will be just near the turbo, with a short 10-AN line, under the oil outlet level of the turbo.
      Did anybody had problems or experience with vacuum being made by the pump and damaging a turbo? could it not cause damage to the bearing?

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Location
      Olathe, KS
      Posts
      1,158
      Country Flag: United States
      As long as your oil flow to the turbo has the ability to match or exceed the flow of your pump you will be ok.

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Strasbourg, France
      Posts
      143
      Country Flag: France
      the flow to the turbo will be less then the flow of the pump.
      if it is more, the turbo would fill with oil and I don't think that should happen.

    7. #7
      Join Date
      May 2001
      Location
      Mesa, Az.
      Posts
      1,434
      Country Flag: United States
      Hmm thats a good question. I'm sure this is all some of the reason STS makes it. Worrying about these things makes most people nervous.
      Phillip
      64 Studebaker Daytona Twin Turbo- http://bit.ly/1SgxQ0g
      65 Cutlass F-85 - http://bit.ly/1W4lJm4

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Columbus, IN
      Posts
      131
      Country Flag: United States
      If i read those instructions correctly, there is a 3 psi switch on the inlet of the pump. If this is for the pump relay, the pump wouldn't come on unless there is atleast 3 psi on the inlet. there would not be a vacuum on the turbo as the pump would shut off at anything lower than 3 psi. Does this sound right?
      '66 Mustang
      '67 FireBird https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...light=firebird
      '68 Barracuda
      '69 Mustang Mach 1
      '97 Mustang Cobra
      '04 Mustang Cobra

    9. #9
      Join Date
      May 2001
      Location
      Mesa, Az.
      Posts
      1,434
      Country Flag: United States
      Is that possibly the warning switch? I know the system has a warning to let you know if you have lost oil pressure to the turbos...
      Phillip
      64 Studebaker Daytona Twin Turbo- http://bit.ly/1SgxQ0g
      65 Cutlass F-85 - http://bit.ly/1W4lJm4

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Strasbourg, France
      Posts
      143
      Country Flag: France
      Or a warning switch, in case the pump does not work, in order not to fill the turbo with oil and send it in the intake?


    11. #11
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Columbus, IN
      Posts
      131
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by gui67 View Post
      Or a warning switch, in case the pump does not work, in order not to fill the turbo with oil and send it in the intake?
      I think this makes the most sense. i didnt realize they had a warning light.
      '66 Mustang
      '67 FireBird https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...light=firebird
      '68 Barracuda
      '69 Mustang Mach 1
      '97 Mustang Cobra
      '04 Mustang Cobra




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com