Results 1 to 20 of 32
-
12-22-2007 #1
New project new forum 81 Trans Am
Hello all I just wanted to formally say hello cause your gonna see me posting here. Short story is I purchased a 1981 Trans Am
with a factory 5.0 (chevy) 4 speed that will be receiving an LT1
which is being donated from my S10. My name is Rick
Here is a picture of a Trans Am I used to have when I was younger

Here is the S10 I have been working on that will be donating the motor

And heres the new car that I will be building up pro touring car spec
-
12-22-2007 #2
Excellent... always good to see another T/A getting some love! Are you going to keep the 4spd tied to LT1? IIRC the 305s in 81 still got the Borg Warner Super T10, and those things were pretty stout... it should be able to handle the torque of the LT1.
Keep us posted!1994 Corvette
-
12-22-2007 #3
Thanks for the Reply Jon, I am pretty sure I am going to swap in a 6 speed but it crossed my mind that I could keep the 4 speed, I think it will has 3.08 gears in the rear so would not be too bad on the highway.
-
12-22-2007 #4
Oh well, a the 6spd would be even better!
1994 Corvette
-
04-23-2010 #5
Project Update
I just realized I never updated this project thread so here are some updates.
Turned out the car was a Code 57 Burnt mettalic orange originally. I really liked the color so decided to go back stock rather than paint it black. I have a few friends that do body work and paint so we got at it.


Last edited by avewhtboy; 08-22-2010 at 04:48 AM. Reason: repair picture link
-
04-23-2010 #6
New Paint
It took about a month working in the evenings and on the weekends and I don't know how much beer to get the body work done and ready for paint.
Once it was ready we hauled it over to a local Ford dealership with state of the art paint booth to spray it. He has two booths side by side so we put the car in one and the parts in the other, sprayed it on Saturday and pulled it out of the booth on Sunday.


Last edited by avewhtboy; 08-22-2010 at 04:51 AM. Reason: edit picture links
-
04-23-2010 #7
He did an awesome job on the paint, we used all PPG base and clear coat.
We also sprayed the interior floor pan and the trunk with 3M Body Shutz


Last edited by avewhtboy; 08-22-2010 at 04:56 AM. Reason: edit picture link
-
04-23-2010 #8
While I had it apart I put stainless headers and Pypes stainless exhaust on. I had bung welded in to install the factory O2 sensor, 1981 had a computer controlled distrbutor and carburetor. I also spent about 5 hours per wheel refurbishing them. I ordered a dash but it never came so I installed a full cap over the dash while I had it out.


Last edited by avewhtboy; 08-22-2010 at 04:59 AM. Reason: edit picture links
-
04-23-2010 #9
The Payoff
This is what it looks like now, So far this has been more of a restoration than a pro touring build lol. Once I got the car to this point I have been driving it and enjoying it. While building this I almost decided that this car is not the right platform for what I want to build because it has T-Tops.
I think I am more interested in a track oriented car so I am not convinced I want to go further on this car. So this is how it sits for now.








Last edited by avewhtboy; 08-22-2010 at 05:04 AM. Reason: edit picture links
-
04-23-2010 #10
That thing looks good
Dave
-
04-24-2010 #11



Reply With Quote