Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 32
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      284

      New project new forum 81 Trans Am

      Hello all I just wanted to formally say hello cause your gonna see me posting here. Short story is I purchased a 1981 Trans Am
      with a factory 5.0 (chevy) 4 speed that will be receiving an LT1
      which is being donated from my S10. My name is Rick

      Here is a picture of a Trans Am I used to have when I was younger



      Here is the S10 I have been working on that will be donating the motor



      And heres the new car that I will be building up pro touring car spec


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Posts
      212
      Excellent... always good to see another T/A getting some love! Are you going to keep the 4spd tied to LT1? IIRC the 305s in 81 still got the Borg Warner Super T10, and those things were pretty stout... it should be able to handle the torque of the LT1.

      Keep us posted!
      1994 Corvette

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      284
      Thanks for the Reply Jon, I am pretty sure I am going to swap in a 6 speed but it crossed my mind that I could keep the 4 speed, I think it will has 3.08 gears in the rear so would not be too bad on the highway.

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Posts
      212
      Oh well, a the 6spd would be even better!
      1994 Corvette

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      284

      Project Update

      I just realized I never updated this project thread so here are some updates.

      Turned out the car was a Code 57 Burnt mettalic orange originally. I really liked the color so decided to go back stock rather than paint it black. I have a few friends that do body work and paint so we got at it.





      Last edited by avewhtboy; 08-22-2010 at 04:48 AM. Reason: repair picture link

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      284

      New Paint

      It took about a month working in the evenings and on the weekends and I don't know how much beer to get the body work done and ready for paint.

      Once it was ready we hauled it over to a local Ford dealership with state of the art paint booth to spray it. He has two booths side by side so we put the car in one and the parts in the other, sprayed it on Saturday and pulled it out of the booth on Sunday.





      Last edited by avewhtboy; 08-22-2010 at 04:51 AM. Reason: edit picture links

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      284
      He did an awesome job on the paint, we used all PPG base and clear coat.
      We also sprayed the interior floor pan and the trunk with 3M Body Shutz





      Last edited by avewhtboy; 08-22-2010 at 04:56 AM. Reason: edit picture link

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      284
      While I had it apart I put stainless headers and Pypes stainless exhaust on. I had bung welded in to install the factory O2 sensor, 1981 had a computer controlled distrbutor and carburetor. I also spent about 5 hours per wheel refurbishing them. I ordered a dash but it never came so I installed a full cap over the dash while I had it out.





      Last edited by avewhtboy; 08-22-2010 at 04:59 AM. Reason: edit picture links

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      284

      The Payoff

      This is what it looks like now, So far this has been more of a restoration than a pro touring build lol. Once I got the car to this point I have been driving it and enjoying it. While building this I almost decided that this car is not the right platform for what I want to build because it has T-Tops.

      I think I am more interested in a track oriented car so I am not convinced I want to go further on this car. So this is how it sits for now.

















      Last edited by avewhtboy; 08-22-2010 at 05:04 AM. Reason: edit picture links

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Mar 2006
      Location
      memphis
      Posts
      341
      That thing looks good
      Dave

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      minnesota
      Posts
      52
      Country Flag: United States
      looks very nice, id keep it and cage it. T tops are a lot of fun



    12. #12
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      overseas
      Posts
      3,434
      Country Flag: United States
      looking good!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

      www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      San Antonio, TEXAS
      Posts
      202
      The wheels look like new! Good job, hope mine looks as good one day, but in black and gold.
      2000 Pontiac Trans Am, Ls1/t56, SLP lid, LT's, cut-out, Borla cat-back.

      1980 Pontiac Trans Am, soon to get Ls1/t56 transplant.

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      iceland
      Posts
      1,859
      Country Flag: Iceland

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      1,240
      Country Flag: United States
      Hey, it's great to see a nicely restore Trans Am. Thanks for the update!
      Brett H.

      1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

      1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      284
      Cage it? its tempting and might be the thing to do since I have it. The fact that its a small block chevy already makes me want to stuff a 383 in there for fun, uprade brakes suspension frame connectors a posi etc.....

      thanks for the compliments it turned out better than I had hoped so far

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Easton, PA
      Posts
      989
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by avewhtboy View Post
      Cage it? its tempting and might be the thing to do since I have it. The fact that its a small block chevy already makes me want to stuff a 383 in there for fun, uprade brakes suspension frame connectors a posi etc.....

      thanks for the compliments it turned out better than I had hoped so far
      this is really cool, to see a last year 2nd gen, non-turbo car! IIRC, they were mainly a california thing, no? since the turbo cars weren't available there.
      always loved the look of the '79-'81 cars, much better than the '77-'78 (esp the nose!)
      Keith C.

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      284
      Quote Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
      this is really cool, to see a last year 2nd gen, non-turbo car! IIRC, they were mainly a california thing, no? since the turbo cars weren't available there.
      always loved the look of the '79-'81 cars, much better than the '77-'78 (esp the nose!)
      Thanks for the response, this car is a four speed electronic carb car, I believe the only way they could sell the manual trans car in California was to put the "corporate" motor in so yes in a way.

      I bought this car out of Boise Idaho, thats where it was originally sold too.

    19. #19
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Easton, PA
      Posts
      989
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by avewhtboy View Post
      Thanks for the response, this car is a four speed electronic carb car, I believe the only way they could sell the manual trans car in California was to put the "corporate" motor in so yes in a way.

      I bought this car out of Boise Idaho, thats where it was originally sold too.
      and they didn't offer the turbo motor w/ a stick either (I bet the 305/4speed combo was cheaper too!)
      I'd stick a ZZ4 in there w/ fuel injection and call it a day.
      Keith C.

    20. #20
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      Wisconsin
      Posts
      546
      Your car looks great. I need some friends like you have. Good luck no matter what you do.


      1968 Firebird. Owed and operated since 1981. 455 5 speed 4 link mini-tubed ect.....

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com