Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 10 of 10
    1. #1
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Location
      Wheaton IL
      Posts
      5

      newb from Chicagoland

      hey all,

      I have been working on a project off and on for the past 4 years. its a 79TA that I have installed Herb Adams VSE parts to make a Fire Am. there are only a few items left I need:
      Corbeau GT8 seats and the roll bar.

      some things I did that were not part of the original package:
      1LE swap
      Year One 17x9 snowflakes

      I hope to have the car painted by the spring and back on the road in 2010....

    2. #2
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      609
      Country Flag: United States
      Welcome, are u from the northside or southside?

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      iceland
      Posts
      1,859
      Country Flag: Iceland

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Location
      Grand Rapids, MI
      Posts
      1,559
      Country Flag: United States
      Welcome to the site. Sounds like a cool project. Post some pics if you have em; we're all about the pics here.

      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread


    5. #5
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Rustburg, Virginia
      Posts
      3,436
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by wellis77 View Post
      Post some pics if you have em; we're all about the pics here.
      True Dat! .....we like pics

      I would LOVE to see all of the Herb Adam goodies that you have collected and installed on that 2gen.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454


    6. #6
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Location
      Wheaton IL
      Posts
      5
      I will try to post some pictures when I get back home as I am traveling right now.

      I have used some VSE parts and some parts from Dave at PTFB. since he has new parts very similar to the VSE parts I used his stuff where I couldn't find NOS parts. I could have gone with used VSE parts but I wanted all new stuff on the car. (didn't want to risk/mix 30yo used suspension parts with new parts)

      so far on the car I have:


      spherical steel bearings (to replace the factory rubber control arm bushings) the one Herb sold you had to cut the control arms and weld them in, I went with Dave's which are press in making the job much easier. Herb did sell a bushing kit which was like the del alums but I want the bearings.

      solid body mounts
      VSE swaybars
      VSE shocks
      structure braces
      cut the front springs per Herbs book
      modified rear springs " " "
      tubular upper control arm from Dave
      upgraded the steering box
      upgraded the breaks to 3rd gen 1LE using all new parts including new b-body spindles.


      now that I have the 17"s I will add SSBC bolt in 2 piston calipers and braided stainless break lines. I contacted SSBC when I did the swap and they informed me that their calipers would not fit with the larger diameter rotors and 15 inch rims.

      replaced all the steering parts as well

      the only thing left original on the front end that wasn't replaced is the subframe and the lower control arms.

      I am also putting on fiberglass fenders that I recently picked up and will add a fiberglass hood and maybe fiberglass trunk lid.

      I want to stick with fiberglass as that is what was around in the late 70's, I am trying to keep this car as period correct as I can, with the only visible change being the wheels which look like the factory wheels only a little bigger.


      what I still need is the Corbeau GT8 seats, so if anyone knows of where I can get 2 let me know.

      I am in talks with Matt Adams about getting the Fire Am decals reproduced so hopefully I can get those as well.

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Erie, PA
      Posts
      349
      Country Flag: United States
      Welcome, where are you located in Chicagoland? Quite a few from us are in this area...

      http://www.popularhotrodding.com/hot...nte_carlo.html
      Andreas
      President First Gen Monte Carlo Club
      www.fgmcc.com

    8. #8
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Location
      Wheaton IL
      Posts
      5
      ok I just updated my location.

      I am in Wheaton so not too far from you.

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Wisconsin
      Posts
      604
      Welcome. I lived in Elk Grove.

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Rustburg, Virginia
      Posts
      3,436
      Country Flag: United States
      I like Dave's spherical bearings better anyway due to the dust seal that helps make them live a bit longer. If I hadn't already pressed in the Del-a-lums a few years ago...I would have bought them from Dave.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454





    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com