Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 104
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States

      Jimmy GT, '92 GMC forever project

      So my intro thread went long. I'm a relatively quiet guy, but I ramble when I type. My apologies.
      So, I will attempt to keep things short and hope the pics can tell most of the story. It will still take me a while to get to the present day since this project started over 10 years ago. Bear with me.

      The beginning:
      Name:  atthelot7.jpg
Views: 3902
Size:  119.9 KB

      The day I picked it up from a lot in WA state. Spring 2000. Drove it home to MN. 4.3 CPI/700R4

      Fixed a few things, did the typical bolt-on stuff, lowered it a little more, wheels, tires, window tint, etc and daily drove it a couple years.


      Fast-forward to '04-'05:
      Name:  025_07.jpg
Views: 3242
Size:  260.5 KB

      My engine pulling helper is in his second year of college now.
      Sold engine and trans. with the intent of doing a simple V8 S-truck. Engine and trans swap, a few relatively minor suspension and brake upgrades and not much else.
      Had a low-mileage '97 F-body LT1 and T56 from a previous unfinished project and was headed that direction.

      But then plans snowballed.

      Fall 2006:
      Name:  Jimmy and LT1 on trailer.JPG
Views: 4664
Size:  294.7 KB

      Off it goes to a shop several states away. The plan is for major frame and suspension modifications, beyond my skill set.

      Next chapter tomorrow: 10 years away.

    2. #2
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      kitchener,Ontario,Canada
      Posts
      2,358
      Country Flag: Canada
      Love it already
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

      Ryan Austin
      On twitter ... soon to be revived ...
      On Instagram ryanaustinss70

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Location
      Sackville, NB, Canada
      Posts
      166
      Country Flag: Canada
      Nice, looking forward to seeing the rest of the build!
      Tyson
      '95 Firebird Formula: suspension + 315's
      '66 Mustang Coupe, 289

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      So I should have stated more clearly in the first post; this is only partially a retroactive build thread, I'm FAR from done.
      Once I'm caught up with pics everyone can follow along as I fumble my way through this beast.

      I have some fairly big (to me anyway) questions I'll be asking that have no doubt been asked before:
      examples: Engine setback, yea or nay? 6" give or take... Does the effort outweigh potential gain?
      To full-float or semi-float? 12 bolt Strange with Ford ends. Strictly based on brake caliper selection or other factors involved? I need to narrow the axle so I need to be deciding soon.
      Enough babble, on to the pics.

      Today's (and likely the next few days) installment:
      10 years away.

      Name:  5_15_010_sized.jpg
Views: 2964
Size:  103.8 KBName:  5_15_011_sized.jpg
Views: 2957
Size:  81.5 KB
      Name:  5_15_012_sized.jpg
Views: 3009
Size:  75.4 KBName:  5_15_013_sized.jpg
Views: 2931
Size:  95.6 KB
      Name:  5_15_014_sized.jpg
Views: 3016
Size:  101.7 KBName:  5_15_020_sized.jpg
Views: 2998
Size:  100.0 KB
      Name:  5_15_021_sized.jpg
Views: 3022
Size:  79.5 KBName:  5_15_022_sized.jpg
Views: 2988
Size:  92.5 KB
      Name:  5_15_023_sized.jpg
Views: 2953
Size:  86.7 KBName:  5_15_024_sized.jpg
Views: 2916
Size:  103.3 KB
      Name:  5_15_025_sized.jpg
Views: 2976
Size:  98.9 KB
      Last edited by SonomaZ; 08-26-2016 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Additional babbling

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      Firewall-back frame is 3" x 3" X .120 wall.
      4" off the deck at ride height.

    6. #6
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      kitchener,Ontario,Canada
      Posts
      2,358
      Country Flag: Canada
      Confused buy the frame ?....!
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

      Ryan Austin
      On twitter ... soon to be revived ...
      On Instagram ryanaustinss70

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      What has you confused?
      What you're looking at are in-process pics, there's more to the frame, you just haven't seen it yet. (Took a dinner break...not done posting pics yet!)

      Instead of a full frame replacement, it's a hybrid I guess. Modified stock S-Blazer/Jimmy up front, one-off fabbed from firewall on back.

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      10 years away: continued, wheels and tires

      Name:  6_16_026_sized.jpg
Views: 2922
Size:  68.6 KBName:  6_16_050_sized.jpg
Views: 3012
Size:  73.6 KB
      Name:  6_20_005_sized.jpg
Views: 2952
Size:  45.3 KBName:  6_20_007_sized.jpg
Views: 2900
Size:  48.1 KB
      Name:  6_20_001_sized.jpg
Views: 2917
Size:  57.6 KBName:  6_20_008_sized.jpg
Views: 2975
Size:  60.4 KB
      Name:  7_24_004_sized.jpg
Views: 2989
Size:  85.9 KBName:  7_24_005_sized.jpg
Views: 2942
Size:  56.4 KB
      Name:  7_24_006_sized.jpg
Views: 2863
Size:  70.5 KBName:  7_24_007_sized.jpg
Views: 2911
Size:  74.6 KB
      Name:  7_24_018_sized.jpg
Views: 2919
Size:  62.8 KBName:  7_24_023_sized.jpg
Views: 3178
Size:  61.9 KB

      Wheels are MK Motorsports by BBS. Early mid 90's vintage high offset BMW tuner wheels. I'm sure the Bay-Em-Vay purists would like to burn me at the stake for putting them on a....dear God...a GM truck! Hehe, scroo-em.
      These things were cubic money when they were new, I ebay'ed them for a song, new in the boxes.
      Rear tires shown are 335's

      Originally 18x8.5 and 18x10. The 10's are now 12's thanks to James at Weldcraft wheels and I'm seriously considering sending the 8.5's off to him to add another 1-1/2" so I can run 285's in front.

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      They're an acquired taste I suppose. Most people have told me they look much better IRL than in pictures...
      I'll be making my own center caps from aluminum since the plastic flat caps that came with them are ugly as sin.
      I might play around with some plasti-dip colors on them and ultimately powdercoat them if I hit on something I like.

      To answer the inevitable question, yes, they're 5X120 and not 5 X 120.65, but they are hub-centric with proprietary BBS centering rings.
      Will need to run a spacer/adapter if I widen the fronts to avoid tie rod clearance issues and tire to frame rub.

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      10 years away continues; early front suspension mockup

      Name:  10_19_10_002_sized.jpg
Views: 2911
Size:  79.4 KBName:  10_19_10_003_sized.jpg
Views: 2882
Size:  92.5 KB

      Name:  10_19_10_004_sized.jpg
Views: 2943
Size:  93.0 KBName:  10_19_10_005_sized.jpg
Views: 2982
Size:  87.6 KB

      Name:  10_19_10_006_sized.jpg
Views: 2897
Size:  68.5 KBName:  10_19_10_007_sized.jpg
Views: 2923
Size:  90.0 KB

      Name:  10_19_10_008_sized.jpg
Views: 3045
Size:  88.8 KB

      So yeah.... that's not gonna work.
      G-body Hotchkis UCA's are for sale, just haven't listed them yet.
      Even without the Dr. Gas/Pro Motorsports spindle extenders (no longer available since they've been found to create more problems than they solve) the UCA and LCA balljoint angles were fubar at this ride height.
      What replaced the Hotchkis UCA's are coming later.
      Spindles are 2" drop Belltech Blazer. (later Blazer with divorced brakes/hubs) If I had to do it over I probably wouldn't use these as the 2" drop creates tie rod clearance issues. Still might change 'em. We'll see.

      For reference, those are 245/40/18 in these pics. I have 265's mounted on the 8.5's now and they bulge. Yuck. Should be 10's with 285's

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      10 yrs away.. more chassis

      Name:  10_22_10_004.jpg
Views: 2973
Size:  169.2 KB

      Yikes...monster pic fail. Where did I put the resized ones?

      No rear kickup or suspension at this point. But you DO get to see the 3rd gen F-body 10-bolt that I put money into and screwed up. WTH was I thinking?
      Replaced with the previously mentioned Strange F-body (integral torque arm attachment) 12-bolt to be seen later.

      Enough for today. More pics tomorrow.

    12. #12
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      kitchener,Ontario,Canada
      Posts
      2,358
      Country Flag: Canada
      Confused as to why it was so short ,assuming you were doing the rear section too so why not continue the frame rails the full length, or ?

      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

      Ryan Austin
      On twitter ... soon to be revived ...
      On Instagram ryanaustinss70


    13. #13
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Confused as to why it was so short ,assuming you were doing the rear section too so why not continue the frame rails the full length, or ?
      Those pictures are coming, patience young grasshopper.

      10 bolt being used for mockup and rear kickup section fabrication:
      (sorry for the monster pics)

      Name:  10_22_10_006.jpg
Views: 2948
Size:  255.7 KBName:  10_24_10_006.jpg
Views: 2804
Size:  362.3 KB
      Name:  10_24_10_007.jpg
Views: 2906
Size:  231.3 KBName:  10_24_10_008.jpg
Views: 2845
Size:  231.1 KB
      Name:  10_24_10_009.jpg
Views: 2819
Size:  246.1 KBName:  10_24_10_010.jpg
Views: 2852
Size:  217.6 KB
      Name:  10_24_10_011.jpg
Views: 2861
Size:  166.6 KBName:  10_24_10_012.jpg
Views: 2806
Size:  221.7 KB
      Name:  10_24_10_013.jpg
Views: 2797
Size:  232.4 KBName:  10_24_10_014.jpg
Views: 2829
Size:  226.2 KB
      Name:  10_24_10_017.jpg
Views: 2861
Size:  235.4 KBName:  10_24_10_018.jpg
Views: 2829
Size:  222.2 KB
      Name:  10_24_10_019.jpg
Views: 2800
Size:  230.9 KBName:  10_24_10_020.jpg
Views: 2859
Size:  223.9 KB
      Name:  10_29_10_001.jpg
Views: 2771
Size:  212.6 KBName:  10_29_10_002.jpg
Views: 2875
Size:  179.6 KB

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      So the last couple previous pics I started on control arm mounts...more of that and lower coilover mounts

      Name:  10_29_10_003_sized.jpg
Views: 2760
Size:  70.5 KBName:  10_29_10_004_sized.jpg
Views: 3047
Size:  79.9 KB
      Name:  10_31_10_001_sized.jpg
Views: 2791
Size:  76.8 KBName:  10_31_10_003_sized.jpg
Views: 2723
Size:  69.9 KB
      Name:  10_31_10_004_sized.jpg
Views: 2726
Size:  78.2 KBName:  10_31_10_005_sized.jpg
Views: 2746
Size:  63.6 KB
      Name:  10_31_10_006_sized.jpg
Views: 2828
Size:  69.5 KBName:  10_31_10_009_sized.jpg
Views: 2768
Size:  86.6 KBName:  10_31_10_012_sized.jpg
Views: 2732
Size:  85.3 KB

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      Continuing on with rear suspension fab: Rear axle link brackets and spinning up the watts bellcrank/propeller mixed in there

      Name:  11_6_10_001_sized.jpg
Views: 2748
Size:  96.4 KBName:  11_6_10_002_sized.jpg
Views: 2808
Size:  95.1 KB
      Name:  11_6_10_004_sized.jpg
Views: 2780
Size:  82.8 KBName:  11_13_10_026_sized.jpg
Views: 2692
Size:  71.7 KB
      Name:  11_13_10_027_sized.jpg
Views: 2737
Size:  67.4 KBName:  11_13_10_028_sized.jpg
Views: 2758
Size:  77.0 KB
      Name:  11_13_10_031_sized.jpg
Views: 2694
Size:  103.5 KBName:  11_13_10_032_sized.jpg
Views: 2760
Size:  106.2 KBName:  11_13_10_033_sized.jpg
Views: 2682
Size:  100.7 KB

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Location
      Sackville, NB, Canada
      Posts
      166
      Country Flag: Canada
      I'd never seen those spindle extenders before - interesting! PM me if/when you decide to get rid of either the UCAs or the blazer drop spindles. I run stock height blazer spindles with C5 brakes now and I'd like to substitute some of the drop from my coilovers for spindles.
      Tyson
      '95 Firebird Formula: suspension + 315's
      '66 Mustang Coupe, 289

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States

      Swaybar fab and mounting; front

      (PM incoming rentedmule/Tyson)

      Moving on: Swaybar fab and mounting F+R

      If you look closely at some of the following pics you will catch glimpses of the front spring pocket and UCA/coilover upper mounting modifications and mixed in with the rear swaybar shots are peeks of the chassis mounted watts link. Unfortunately, I do not have specific in-process pics of these things coming together. I'll be sure to get some good shots now that I have everything at home and post later.

      Name:  11-27-13 001.jpg
Views: 2766
Size:  217.4 KBName:  11-27-13 002.jpg
Views: 2787
Size:  190.6 KB
      Name:  11-27-13 003.jpg
Views: 2673
Size:  201.8 KBName:  11-27-13 004.jpg
Views: 2756
Size:  160.0 KB
      Name:  11-27-13 005.jpg
Views: 2769
Size:  197.8 KBName:  11-27-13 006.jpg
Views: 2749
Size:  240.5 KBName:  11-27-13 007.jpg
Views: 2697
Size:  193.3 KBName:  11-27-13 008.jpg
Views: 2711
Size:  206.1 KB
      Name:  11-27-13 009.jpg
Views: 2716
Size:  191.5 KBName:  11-27-13 010.jpg
Views: 2767
Size:  207.0 KBName:  11-27-13 011.jpg
Views: 2670
Size:  225.2 KBName:  11-27-13 012.jpg
Views: 2749
Size:  207.8 KB
      Name:  11-27-13 013.jpg
Views: 2717
Size:  156.2 KBName:  11-27-13 014.jpg
Views: 2712
Size:  206.4 KBName:  11-27-13 015.jpg
Views: 2700
Size:  198.4 KBName:  11-27-13 016.jpg
Views: 2655
Size:  164.2 KB

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States

      Swaybar fab and mounting; adjustable rear

      And a peek at the watts (barely), upper coilover mounts and torque arm.
      You'll also notice the axle is now the Strange 12 bolt.

      Name:  11-18-13 069.jpg
Views: 2766
Size:  202.9 KBName:  11-18-13 070.jpg
Views: 2629
Size:  212.2 KBName:  11-18-13 078.jpg
Views: 2591
Size:  191.9 KBName:  11-18-13 079.jpg
Views: 2704
Size:  187.7 KB
      Name:  11-18-13 083.jpg
Views: 2594
Size:  199.3 KBName:  11-18-13 084.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  230.6 KBName:  11-18-13 086.jpg
Views: 2595
Size:  170.8 KBName:  11-18-13 087.jpg
Views: 2605
Size:  193.0 KB
      Name:  11-18-13 090.jpg
Views: 2546
Size:  216.8 KBName:  11-18-13 092.jpg
Views: 2587
Size:  187.4 KBName:  11-18-13 093.jpg
Views: 2606
Size:  156.5 KB

    19. #19
      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      Location
      El Segundo, CA
      Posts
      268
      Country Flag: United States
      Interesting build. With 12's in the rear I'd definitely go wider than 8.5's up front. Ideally 11's or 12's to balance out the handling.
      Nice to see someone building a frame on a fixture for a change. I like the long drop links on your front sway bar.
      Look forward to seeing more.

    20. #20
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      Waconia, MN
      Posts
      113
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks Doc G.
      Yeah, everyone going to square setups now, I know. Realize this truck was conceived 12-15 years ago and the majority of what you see above took place between '08 and '13.
      In my hindsight 20/20, perfect world build of this truck there would be no leftover S-truck frame. It would have a front to rear, full custom frame that would clear 12's in front. (Or Art Morrison or Schwartz or whatever)
      As it is, I'll have to make do with a 10" wheel and 285 tire up front. Champagne dreams, beer budget, ya know?

    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com