Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Project WeaponX_66 Mustang Coupe

Well here we go. I have been out of the game for about 5 years now. We were hit hard during the housing crash here in San Diego, but I'm back in the game......kind of. Tight budget and I'm sure I will come to stand stills when I run out of money, but that's what overtime is for right?

So this was an impulse buy for sure. I was walking my dog one day and this guy down the street from me has had this car in his driveway for the 7 years that I've lived on this street. I asked him if he's ready to sell that thing and he said "I'm putting it up for sale tomorrow." I was like whoa hold on, let me see what I can come up with. Long story short I bought the car for 6k. It had a running 289 and a body kit, but it was in rough shape. I couldn't keep the 289 running and when I pulled a valve cover and it looked like a BBQ grill that hasn't been cleaned in 10 years! Right there I decided the car was going under the knife. I decided that I was going to make a nice street rod.

I knew from the get go that I wanted to put some meats on the rear, so I bought a mini tub and 4-link kit from Martz Performance. When I started the mini tub I noticed that the car had been rear ended and had some crappy repair work done to it. Good thing all of the parts for these mustangs are readily available. Little did I know that none of it fits right! Anyway, I've only been working on it for about 2 months now, so let me see if I can get some pics up.

I moved the frame rails in on both sides and finished the mini tubs. After that I started tearing out all of the bad sheet metal that was damaged.

Name:  IMG_2323 (2).jpg
Views: 660
Size:  244.7 KBName:  IMG_0111.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  131.9 KBName:  IMG_0143.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  123.4 KBName:  IMG_2298.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  192.3 KBName:  IMG_2324.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  199.0 KB

My garage is one big giant mess. I have a home gym on the other side, so I don't have as much space as I once had. Here are some pics of the sheet metal work.

Name:  IMG_2343.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  259.8 KBName:  IMG_2344.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  278.2 KBName:  IMG_2345.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  247.2 KBName:  IMG_2371.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  213.5 KBName:  IMG_2373.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  278.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2382.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  231.7 KBName:  IMG_2384.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  249.6 KBName:  IMG_2385.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  226.2 KB

After a ton of work I got this stuff fitting pretty good. The back half is pretty much all back together and welded in. I also welded in the Martz cross member for the 4-link and the cross bar for the panhard bar and coil over shocks.

Name:  IMG_2488.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  184.1 KBName:  IMG_2502.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  222.8 KB

I had a complete 8.8 out of a 2002 GT, so that is the rear end I'm using, but I'll be using 9" ends and bracing it up a little. I ordered a Detroit Tru-Trac, 3.55's, Moser 9" ends, some North Race Cars brake brackets that allow the use of the GT brakes with the 9" ends and an LPW rear end cover. Like I said I'm on a pretty tight budget so I opted for a pair of 17x10.5" FR500 rear wheels wrapped in a set of 315/35/17 Nittos.

I started on the rear end. I've welded the tubes to the center section with super missile rod and welded my control arm brackets in place. Next I will straighten the rear end and then weld my brace on so that it doesn't move. I will weld the housing ends on last, but I have to wait for the wheels to get here first so that I can mock them up and determine the length my housing has to be.

Here is the rear before cutting off all the tock brackets.
      Name:  IMG_2506.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  180.4 KB

Brackets cut off and housing prepped for welding.
      Name:  IMG_2509.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  186.7 KB

Cut me some slack I haven't welded in over 2 years!
      Name:  IMG_2570.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  181.8 KBName:  IMG_2584.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  137.0 KB

This is the chromoly tube that I bent and will be welding to the control arm brackets and housing.
      Name:  IMG_2585.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  258.5 KB

So this is pretty much all I have done at the moment. It's definitely a long term project. Loooooooooong way to go!

Look to be off to a great start. Watching for updates.

Nice start.

Country Flag: Belgium
      Looks good,you did some nice bodywork already,
      if that is all the bodywork there is then you can start on the rest now, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bossed View Post
      Look to be off to a great start. Watching for updates.
      Thank you.

Thanks, Pingar

Quote Originally Posted by 70CougarXr7 View Post
      Looks good,you did some nice bodywork already,
      if that is all the bodywork there is then you can start on the rest now, good luck!
      Thank you. I will be trying to do some custom stuff to the body, but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet. I'm trying to get the rear end done so I can roll the car out of the garage and pull the motor. Then bring the car back in and start working on the front suspension.

Not much to report today. I got my truss welded on and mocked up the LPW cover just for fun.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm a fan of these notch back Mustangs. I'll be following!

Glenn

1955 Chevy BelAir
      1951 Chevy 3100
      1987 Chevy Silverado

My last project....
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...my-72-Maverick!!

My rear wheels showed up today. I threw them under the car really quick to check them out. I'll get them placed just right in order to take my measurements to determine my axle housing length.

Name:  IMG_2606.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  185.5 KBName:  IMG_2607.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  141.4 KBName:  IMG_2609.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  195.8 KBName:  IMG_2610.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  200.3 KB

thats alot of tire! Looking forward to your progress, im building a 64.5 as well. Funny WeaponX is the name of the place that tuned my car in cincy.
      "Racing is life. Everything else is just, waiting"

Quote Originally Posted by xsboost90 View Post
      thats alot of tire! Looking forward to your progress, im building a 64.5 as well. Funny WeaponX is the name of the place that tuned my car in cincy.
      Damn I'm embarrassed to have posted this build after looking at yours! That thing is going to be something! My pockets aren't that deep lol you have done some really nice custom work to your car! I'm a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by xsboost90 View Post
      Sorry I was thinking this was you
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ng-Coupe-Build

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com