Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Project Misguided Angel (67 Camaro)

I've been working on this car for almost 6 years, so I guess I'm long overdue for a project thread. Most of what I have done is what a lot of other have done so you weren't missing much. This has been a complete garage build with the exception of having it sent out to get sand blasted. There has also been a lot of "first time" moments for me. This has been the first time using a mig welder and first time painting a car and the list goes on.

Here's what I started with: The car was in pretty good shape overall. I patched one hole in the driver's side floor, replaced the rear quarters and rear panel. Ditched the vinyl roof in favor of a solid color throughout.
      Name:  IMG_2861.jpg
Views: 5396
Size:  189.2 KB
      And here's what it looks like now: I like the flat black look and figured it would be easier for a beginner like me to paint. However I can't say that I like my paint job, and I plan to re-shoot it again as I don't like some of the tiger stripes that are on the hood. I tried painting the car with a 25 gallon air compressor which happened to blow the air line between the compressor and tank while I was shooting the hood. I didn't realize what happened until it was too late.
      Name:  20170530_171426.jpg
Views: 5338
Size:  194.5 KBName:  20170530_202138.jpg
Views: 5252
Size:  199.3 KBName:  20170530_202153.jpg
Views: 5229
Size:  211.3 KB
      I converted the front end to the RS style as this is what I fell in love with the first time I saw a first gen Camaro. I'm running ridetech's level 2 air suspension system with a crate LSA engine attached to a Magnum T56 6-speed. DSE mini-tubs out back to accommodate the Forgeline wheels on 315 tires. Up front I'm running 275's. I had to flare out the front fenders about and inch and half to make them fit right. So the car now has a little bit of an hour glass shape to it, but it's subtle enough that most people won't even notice.
      Name:  IMG_4299.jpg
Views: 5205
Size:  167.7 KB
      I've driven it around the block a few times. Currently having problems getting the brakes to work properly. The pedal is soft like there's air in the lines but I bled it about a half dozen times and it still feels soft, nor will the tires lock up if I smash the pedal to the floor. I'm also working on the wiring and interior. I found a couple of leather seats at the local junk yard that came out of a Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder that fit very nicely after I fabbed up some new seat brackets. The driver's side is power and the passenger is manual. Both seats recline and fold forward to allow easy access to the rear.
      Name:  IMG_4324.jpg
Views: 5214
Size:  165.7 KBName:  IMG_4327.jpg
Views: 5182
Size:  184.0 KB
      I also installed a double DIN radio in the dash. I did a write-up in the car audio section of how I did this install if anyone is interested.
      Name:  20170508_171156.jpg
Views: 5274
Size:  169.5 KB
      Now I'm focusing on completing the center console. I started with a fiberglass console that I brought online. So far I have added the cup holder and power window switches. I plan on creating a fiberglass mount for the ridetech controls that I will blend in with the rest of the console. This is my first time working with fiberglass so we'll see how that goes. I also want to put a couple of storage places in the console to make up for the space I lost in the glove compartment which now has my engine ECM and one of my BCM's. I'll tell you more about the BCM's in a future post. You're going to like it
      Name:  20170713_142129.jpg
Views: 5265
Size:  170.1 KB

Country Flag: Canada
      Nice car! What are those mirrors?
      Simon

68 Camaro Convertible

Thanks Simon. The mirrors are from a Suzuki Hayabusa (99-07). I did have to weld in the original holes and create some new ones.

Today I charged the AC system. Not as cold as I hoped it would be. I put the recommended 12oz in the system, but the gauges seem to indicate that I could use a little more as the pressures are a little on the low side given the ambient temperature of the garage. I think maybe some leaked out as the fitting on the AC can was quite tight enough. But for now I think I will leave it as is and see how it feels.
      Name:  IMG_4396.jpg
Views: 4983
Size:  221.1 KB

Another project that I started almost a year ago, well actually I started thinking about it all the way back in 2013, but didn't start building until August of 2016, are my own body control modules. These modules operate all the electrical systems in the car except the engine which is using the GM LSA wiring harness. Here are the specs for my BCM.

10 HS-drivers
      8 10A outputs
      2 30A outputs

4 Motor drivers
      4 30A H-bridge outputs

14 inputs that can be either high or low
      1 1024 bit ADC input
      2Mbit CAN bus

and here are the features:

ESD protected
      Reverse battery protection
      pwm support
      soft start support
      battery voltage monitoring
      diagnostic LED
      low power mode (around 1 to 2 mA)
      self recovery (Thermal shut-down with automatic restart allows the device to recover normal operation as soon as fault condition disappears)
      current sense capabilities
      inputs can be high or low. However if the input is going to be 12v high then an external pull-down resistor is required.
      Automotive grade components used throughout
      Protection against load dump
      Molex MX150L industrial sealed connectors
      each BCM can control 4 bi-directional motors at the same time or up to 8 bi-directional motors can be controlled if they are operated individually

I have a brother who is a ME that helped me design the enclosure. We designed it such that it is water resistant so it can be used in the engine bay. The dimensions are about 6"x7"x2".

Name:  IMG_4350[1].jpg
Views: 4918
Size:  172.4 KB

The design uses MOSFET's instead a relays and a micro controls everything.

Name:  IMG_4353[1].jpg
Views: 5004
Size:  208.3 KB

I realized early on that I was going to need some electronics to deal with the problems that occur when you swap a LS engine into a classic car. I also was going to need a new wiring harness. So I started looking at the options available and I didn't like what I found, so like they say if you don't like the job someone else is doing then do it yourself. Some of the things that I am using the BCM for are:

reverse lockout solenoid control (uses brake switch and speed sensor)
      cooling fans controller with temp sensor (not a temp switch) and trinary switch input
      automatic windows on all 4 windows (both up and down)
      cabin pressure relief (windows will roll down a crack when doors are opened and then roll back up after the door is closed) (This hasn't been implemented yet)
      automatic headlights using off the shelf GM light sensor (currently working on this feature)
      hideaway headlight door control (doesn't need limit switches)

I have 3 of these modules in the car, one in the engine bay one in the glove box and one in the trunk. The engine bay BCM HS-drivers controls the horn, high/low beam, blinkers, parking lights, T56 reverse switch and the motor drivers control the two cooling fans and both hideaway headlight doors. The ADC input is connected to the radiator temperature sensor. I hid the module under the engine fuse/relay distribution box. This keeps the wire length pretty short. I am powering this module from the distribution box which is also my main power source for the vehicle which means the voltage at this point is the highest since this is where the sense wire from the alternator is connected. I need to clean up the wiring some more but that can wait until all the programming is done. I don't have the top of the enclosure installed since I need access to the debug port. Eventually the programming can be done through the CAN bus bootloader but we haven't implemented that yet. I have another brother who is an EE like me, but he has spent most of his career as a software engineer and he has done all the firmware programming. So now you know why it says "Myers Bros" on the enclosure. It has definitely been a family project. I think Tom has spent the most time writing the firmware code so I got to give a shout out for doing such a fantastic job.

Name:  IMG_4398.jpg
Views: 4976
Size:  214.5 KB

Here is the BCM in the glove compartment right next to the engine ECU. This module controls the gauge blinker and gauge high/low beam indicator, dash lights ECU ignition power, accessory power for the Dakota Digital gauges, radio, and vintage air system. The inputs are connected to the blinker switch, hazard switch, horn switch, dome/light switch, brake switch, ignition switch and the T56 reverse lockout solenoid. The motor control is connected to the front two door windows. The ADC input is connected to the light sensor.
      Name:  IMG_4399.jpg
Views: 4959
Size:  223.0 KB

The trunk module is connected to the blinkers, tail/license lights, dome light, starter solenoid, brake lights, reverse camera, ignition power for the ridetech air control module and accessory power for the electric drivers seat. The motor drivers control the rear two windows and the two door solenoids. The inputs are window switches, door ajar switches, and the door unlock buttons. This module gets the power directly from the battery through a fuse located just below the BCM. The white box above the module is for remote keyless entry.
      Name:  IMG_4400.jpg
Views: 5139
Size:  277.9 KB

Cool car/project.

I have a few questions regarding the BCM.

-Will you make it available to fellow forum members?
      -Fan control. You mentioned pwm function. Does the BCM control the fan using PWM control, and GM temp sensors (such as the one in the LSx engine heads). Is the setting adjustable, and how?

I'm interested in using the BCM for power windows (future); low voltage shutdown; auto headlights.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

How do you program the BCM?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Yes, that is the plan, but we still have a lot of work to do. I'm thinking about doing a kickstarter project to generate some revenue to do a larger build of boards for people that are interested in the project. But first I want to see how much interest there is out there. I want to make the firmware open source such that others can generate software and come up with new ways to use the hardware. For example it would be possible to control the BCM's using an Android radio with an ELM 327 interface adapter. Then you could make soft switches to control things like turning on the cooling fans or maybe making the user enter a security password before allowing the engine to start. I'll have to figure out a way to offer a discount to developers.

I'm going to post a video of pwm operating the cooling fans as soon as I figure out how to post videos. The temp sensor is located in the radiator. It is a standard delco temp sensor that GM has been using for years. I believe the block temp sensor is also a delco unit which would also work. I didn't use the block sensor since the ECU is already using that sensor and the radiator came with a bung a temp sensor so I decided to use that instead. Right now we are using soft start and PWM on the cooling fans. The soft start prevents the inrush of current when the motors are first started and will help prolong the life of the motors. I have the motors coming on at low speed at 190 degrees and medium speed at 200 and full speed at 220. If I remember correctly we are using 40% PWM for low speed and 70% PWM for medium speed and 100% for full speed. Right now all the firmware has been coded specifically for my car but we are coding it in such a way that the code is modular. We define functions for each output that do certain things. For example there is a function that looks for a "brake switch on" CAN message that tells the output to turn on.

Right now we are programming each board individually through a debug port mounted near the LED. In the future we plan on using the CAN boot loader which would allow us to program all the modules with just one connection through the CAN bus.

Interesting...BTW, pwm fan control is integrated into the Gen IV ECUs...so your e67 already has this function and can be implemented by using a C6 Corvette (or Ford) fan controller.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=40215

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Ok, let's see if this works. This video was taken around the time we were bringing up the boards and writing code. For this test the cooling fans are being controlled directly from the BCM using pwm to control the fan speed and soft start to control the initial inrush current. The choppy fan noise towards the end is just wind blowing over the mic, the fans worked fine. This was also before we implemented CAN messages and the temp sensor.

Wow very cool. Clean engine compartment. This things gonna be a luxury vehicle by the time your done with. Impressive electronics stuff.
      -Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

I guess I'm long overdue for an update. My summer goal was to get it street legal and actually be able to drive it on the road and enjoy it. I'm happy to report that I succeeded. Since my last post I put the rest of the glass in and got the front end aligned. Even made it too a car show.
      Name:  20171021_140454.jpg
Views: 2624
Size:  233.6 KB
      Name:  20171010_144215.jpg
Views: 2495
Size:  202.6 KB
      I also drove it up to my nephew's place in Tulsa for Thanksgiving, which made be realize that I need to add some more sound insulation as the road noise was drowning out the radio. So I ordered some from sounddeadenershowdown.com. It should be getting delivered today.
      Name:  2017_Thanksgiving_at_Aaron's.jpg
Views: 2658
Size:  52.0 KB
      I was having a problem with one of the spark plug wires melting against the header even with the heat shield sock so I replaced all the wires with Summit Racing's ceramic plug wires. They have been working great.
      Name:  20171008_161414.jpg
Views: 2614
Size:  220.7 KB
      I also upgraded the brake booster from the 7" booster to the 8". I'm still not completely happy with the way it stops but at least now I can get the wheels to lockup, but I still have to apply a good deal of force on the brake pedal, I foresee a hydraulic booster sometime in the future, but for now I'll run it the way it is and see if it improves after the pads have had time to seat more. Or I may actually try a different pad compound.
      Name:  20171207_104549.jpg
Views: 2663
Size:  238.3 KB
      One of the bad things about having a car you can drive is that you start to put off things that need to get done in favor of driving. So I still haven't completed the center console or the rear seat but I have made some progress on the console. I was originally going to make a storage box out of fiberglass and then integrate that into the console, but that plan didn't work out so well as I had troubles making the buck for the mold and I really didn't like working with fiberglass. So I abandoned that idea and instead decided to 3d print the pieces I needed. So I taught myself how to use FreeCAD and created the storage box and a mount for the ridetech controls.
      Name:  20171207_103351.jpg
Views: 2652
Size:  179.3 KB
      The storage box has a flip up door that hides the push buttons for the Dakota Digital gauges and the rocker switch for the automatic headlights. You can also see the magnet which keeps the door closed so it doesn't rattle. I still need to finish the glove box under the arm rest and get it covered.
      Name:  20171207_103504.jpg
Views: 2580
Size:  168.5 KB

I wasn't liking the useless seat belt guides on my junkyard seats so I 3d printed some replacements. Now I have official Camaro seats.
      Name:  20180104_160845.jpg
Views: 2483
Size:  230.6 KB
      Name:  20180104_160912.jpg
Views: 2455
Size:  236.0 KB

Well I made some changes to the car not too long ago. I ditched the air shocks and put on some ridetech coil-overs instead. I did not like how inconsistent the ride height was with the air shocks. Sometimes I would take off for a ride with the ride height set to a certain level and when I got back it would be at a different level. This of course caused the front alignment to be off which in turned caused the front tires to wear on the outside to the point they were showing the cords. The tires were around 15 years old so I was due for a new set anyway, but I didn't want the new set to wear unevenly. I went from Michelin pilot sport to BFGoodrich g-force rival s tires. The car actually hooks up now whereas before the tires would spin all the time because the rubber had gotten so hard. I also got the windows tinted today which should help keep the heat down inside the car not to mention it also makes it look that much meaner.
      Name:  20180326_160016.jpg
Views: 2258
Size:  187.1 KB

I haven't ran into you yet. We meet up in wylie all the time and go to kellers sat night. Come ovee sat mirning. Message me in facebook.

Randy dicken

Sounds like fun Randy, I'll see if I can find you on facebook.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com