Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 12 of 12

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Location
      Apollo Beach, FL
      Posts
      153
      Country Flag: United States

      6L80E G8 Trans Controller

      I need to find a stand alone controller for a 6L80E trans. The engine and trans came out of a 2008 G8 and they will be going in to a 69 Firebird. I have searched here on the site and on the internet also, but nothing seems clear. All the threads I find are old and I have looked at some of the aftermarket vendors and haven't had luck.

      Any help would be great.

      Ray S.


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      The City of Fountains
      Posts
      16,125
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by 67z28 View Post
      I need to find a stand alone controller for a 6L80E trans. The engine and trans came out of a 2008 G8 and they will be going in to a 69 Firebird. I have searched here on the site and on the internet also, but nothing seems clear. All the threads I find are old and I have looked at some of the aftermarket vendors and haven't had luck.

      Any help would be great.
      Ray,

      As far as I know, there is no such thing as a standalone controller for the 6L80E. The controllers are built into the transmission and will only work with OEM style engine controllers.

      Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @dr__efi
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

      "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Location
      Traverse City, MI
      Posts
      574
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Ray,

      As far as I know, there is no such thing as a standalone controller for the 6L80E. The controllers are built into the transmission and will only work with OEM style engine controllers.

      Andrew
      This.............but if youre swapping in both the engine and trans then why do you need a stand alone controller?
      Project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ouring-Project
      IG - @tc_chevelle


    4. #4
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Hamilton, NJ
      Posts
      4,318
      Country Flag: United States
      I thought pcs made one, but i don't see it on their website. I know last time we went to sema they said they had or were going to have one.
      Scott from NJ.

      Vent Windows Forever! ...

      Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

    5. #5
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Location
      Apollo Beach, FL
      Posts
      153
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks for the help. That's basically the same information I was able to find.
      Ray S.

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      Location
      Cypress, California
      Posts
      381
      Country Flag: United States
      Actually I looked into this recently and someone has come up with a stand alone controller for the 6L80 transmission. However if you have the engine and transmission out of the same car along with the E38 ECM, as stated why to you need a stand alone controller?

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      708
      Maybe someone's going carbureted . . .

      Perhaps you could have someone (Speartech/PSI/some trans-specific shop) adapt/program a 4l80 controller to work on the 6l80 . . .

      I'm also doing a 6l80 (or 90--still not sure/don't care) in my Falcon, but I'm using the 5.3's (Gen IV-2011) stock PCM and fuel system, which, if you do the wiring yourself, is hysterically cheaper than carburetion (and loads better in pretty much every way).

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      2,665
      Country Flag: United States
      Its not on their website, but its out there... I would Call PCS to see what's going on with it and check availability

      http://zerogravityperformance.com/pr...on-controller/
      Big dreams, small pockets....

      Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Forgeline, Speedtech, ATS, Speartech, KORE3, Ridetech coilovers

      Project Motor City Madness

    9. #9
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Houston, TX
      Posts
      14

      6L80E G8 Trans Controller

      PCS will just direct you to Zero Gravity. I spoke with both a few weeks ago. Just call Zero Gravity and they will be able to answer you questions. As others have said, if you are running the G8 engine and trans you really shouldn't need it though.

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Apr 2013
      Posts
      99
      Country Flag: Canada
      Just to give you some insight, the 6Ls are nothing like the 4Ls

      If you do not have the original body control module from the G8, you will have alot of difficulties getting it to run properly

      The trans is electronically controlled and without the BCM telling it that its in Sport vs Manual, the trans will want to get into the highest gear as soon as possible

      Im runnning a 6L90 with the PCS controller as well as the Shrifter Paddles and it was a mountain of work to get it running.

      The PCS controller is just a glorified shifter and does not communicate with the transmissions TCU

      No matter what you would need the TCU reprogrammed to accept Tap UP-Tap Down signals to get external paddles to work.

      The aftermarket options are just not there yet, but SEMA is only like 2 weeks away so maybe that will change.

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      Location
      Cypress, California
      Posts
      381
      Country Flag: United States
      I have a 1965 Buick Skylark with an L92/6L80. I do not have a BCM. I had both the E38 ECM and the T43 TCM reprogramed to the 2011 Corvette tune. No problems at all. I think I will add the paddle shift feature down the road.

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Apr 2013
      Posts
      99
      Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by 1989GTA View Post
      I have a 1965 Buick Skylark with an L92/6L80. I do not have a BCM. I had both the E38 ECM and the T43 TCM reprogramed to the 2011 Corvette tune. No problems at all. I think I will add the paddle shift feature down the road.
      The issues come around when you want to run the paddles. In auto mode it will drive like a normal automatic




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com