Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1967 Mercury Cougar

For many, there is a moment of inception that is burned into our minds. An unforgettable moment of this hobbies birth. Within that memory there are often times friends, family, or loved ones that we credit with introducing us to our passion for the automobile. More often than not, there is a specific vehicle that we will always attribute to being the absolute favorite, the one that was most regrettably sold or the one that we will never see part ways....
      The 1967 Mercury Cougar is the car that led me to pursue what is now my addiction to the automobile. I have owned three, which in itself isn't as impressive as some of the lists I have see on this forum, I did however purchase two in my sophomore year of high-school and another before I graduated. The first two where overwhelmingly beyond the scope of my abilities to fix at the time, and all though I had gotten way in over my head with the two projects, I learned so much in the time it took me to disassemble them. By the time I was a senior I knew what to look for and things to avoid. The third cougar I purchased was a keeper, and I have had it ever since. I drove her for a few years, all the while learning what I could from the "car" buddies I had and all the magazines and books I could get my hands on. Eventually I stumbled upon Popular Hot Rodding and what I saw and read on those pages became the template for how my car was to be built. I soon had an ongoing subscription and lust for anything pro-touring.
      The one project that caught my attention the most was none other than The Mule. Oh how I couldn't wait for the next months issue to hit the shelves so I could see what had been done to that Camaro, and I would fantasize about doing the same to my Cougar. Eventually though I had to put my cougar in storage, and over the years I refined the vision I had, and built my car over and over in my head, waiting until life slowed down enough for me to once again follow that dream.
      So my car sat, in the safety of the dry desert storage I put her in for 13 years....

Moar!!!!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Moar!!!!

Andrew
      Andrew, I think you're biased but I agree whole-heartedly!

Happy you're bringing us all along for the ride!
      Kris - Building the poor man's '68 Mustang.

Meeting the Mule

With any hobby or passionate pursuit we develop a bucket list of events and activities we attribute to rank or credentials amongst fellow enthusiast. We strive hard to cross items off our lists and proudly adorn our vehicles, garages and toolboxes with stickers, posters and signs to commemorate these sacred moments in time. Each one is a testament to our dedication and we stand tall and proud when we tell the story of our triumphs, and mishaps for that matter... at least those with enough wisdom can see through what others view as failure. That in itself is it's own badge of honor....
      Hot August Nights was one of the events I decided should be on my list. The anxiety and anticipation I endured up until I arrived in Reno could only be described as blissful-tourture. It would have been enough to experience the week long event, but as I wandered the hotel I came upon what I can only describe as a gift from the universe. It took me only a moment to realize what the car I saw before me was. The PPG DBC 37637 H colorcoat and DCU2002 clear sparkled and glinted with all the depth and richness I could only have imagined. It was an event that can only be described as awesome! There she was...

The Mule was nothing short of breathtaking, an absolute beautiful pice of automotive art. I could have turned around and gotten back on the plane after just the few hours of arriving and been satisfied,....

It took every ounce of my control to not jump right over the velvet rope(black chain) keeping me from her and do what might be described as a "public display of affection"(understatement at its best).. Without writing a novel I will say that the the Mule and more importantly, Mark Stielow have been an absolute insperation to me and what I strive to achive with my own builds.... Mark,.. here's to you

Nice to see someone else from Colorado on here, interested in seeing where you go with your cougar.

Michael

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com