Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 153

    Threaded View

    1. #11
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Phoenix
      Posts
      162
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
      You've got a good start and some good ideas. As for the LS vs. 351 argument, both can make excellent power, but the LS will do it more cheaply, and it will also not bother your wife when she wants to drive (won't run in a way that makes her think it's broken). My last Ford small block was just a bit too lopey (cam) for my liking, especially in relation to how much power it made; my new 5.3 LS will make about the same power, but it will also run like a Toyota Camry and get way better mileage (than the not-so-old X302). The engine bay in a '68, even with the towers, is just right for an LS . . .

      Consider Mike Maier's approach to suspension: While he's marketed some pretty flashy stuff over the years, he still runs a Panhard bar. On average, his parts are way less flashy than some of the competition's, but somebody at most vintage track days or autocrosses is using something he made (and doing so effectively) . . .
      Thanks for the input on the LS/SBF points. I find myself leaning further towards an LS every time I slow down to think about it. I'm sure there are pros and cons to each but when it comes down to getting to the finished product within a certain dollar amount, the LS keeps pulling ahead. And I'm really interested in Maier's stuff. I'm just want to be sure that whatever it is i choose for suspension is going to be dependable and heavy-mileage friendly. I plan on driving the pants off of this thing.



      Quote Originally Posted by Mach1_Ron View Post
      Check out these guys for some Good Pricing on the rear-end rebuild stuff...
      Seem pretty reasonable and sell Made in USA stuff...
      Thanks for that. I'll hopefully putting together an order in the next few weeks for my rear end parts and I'd like to save where i can. I'll check them out.

      Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      I will be watching this thread. I have a 68 Convertible and was able to squeeeeeze in a 295/35 18 tire. You will have to have very accurate bs measurements and a BFH for the inner wheel house but they will fit. My only concern would be lateral movement of the axle if you don't run a panhard bar or something. I have a TCP Gbar rear suspension which keeps it located in position. I don't think I have more than a 1/4" of clearance on the inside or outside of the tire. The wheel is 10" wide.

      My front tires are 245 wide on 18's and the fit is tight there as well. I am right up against the ball joint and had to roll the fenders to keep them from rubbing. The front wheel is 8" wide.
      Hi Darreld,
      I recognize you from VMF. Your car is actually one of the ones I looked at when I was contemplating 17s or 18s. My plan is still as much tire as physically possible while retaining stock body lines. When I'm closer to ordering wheels I plan to measure and remeasure everything to be sure I have my numbers right. I'm also leaning towards some sort of panhard setup on the rear. For more predictability as well as making sure my tires don't get chewed on by the fender.
      I can only hope that mine eventually turns out half as nice as yours!
      Kris - Building the poor man's '68 Mustang.





    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com