Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 13 of 13

    Thread: Shaving bumpers

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Posts
      169

      Shaving bumpers

      Hey guys I got a extra set of bumpers for the comet and I wanna shave the bolts and tuck the bumpers to the body any tips or tricks?
      64 Mercury Comet
      408w boosted
      More boost on the way!

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      jacksonville,fl
      Posts
      972
      Country Flag: United States
      As far as the shaved bolts , you generally weld a bolt to the backside of the holes & fill in . For tucking I use masking tape to mark the width I'm taking out.As with any metal splice job, tack weld every inch or less & adjust metal as needed for good alignment.

      You can figure a pair of bumpers tucked & shaved to be a little time consuming, but well worth the effort if you want to look better than stock.

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Dec 2006
      Location
      Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Posts
      1,753
      Country Flag: United States
      May want to weld a plate on the back of the bumper and weld the bolt to the plate to spread the load and prevent possible bumper 'suck'
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

      1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Posts
      41
      Question. When welding bolt to back. Do you cut the hex off? Will the hex act like a spacer and push the bumper out. I am considering doing a bumper shave on my project. Just something I wondered about. Thanks.



    5. #5
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Posts
      169
      Cool thanks guys!
      64 Mercury Comet
      408w boosted
      More boost on the way!

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Location
      McKinney, TX
      Posts
      1,623
      Country Flag: United States
      On my Mustang, I bolted the brackets to the car then held the bumper in place and welded straight to the brackets.
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Harrisburg, PA
      Posts
      85
      Country Flag: United States
      I've always used the carriage bolts that you would normally use and cut off the rounded head. It is a good idea to back up the backside with a washer to distribute the pressure. Also leave material for the chrome shop to grind as they see fit so it doesn't need filled with so much copper.
      Joshua O

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Location
      Lethbridge, Alberta
      Posts
      34
      Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Maxwell View Post
      Question. When welding bolt to back. Do you cut the hex off? Will the hex act like a spacer and push the bumper out. I am considering doing a bumper shave on my project. Just something I wondered about. Thanks.
      Leave the head on...in fact do the heavier plate trick (weld bolt to a piece of 2" X 1/4 flat bar and then fill the hole). I've only done the bolt to the bumper once and it did leave a pucker...then they had to be done again. The bumpers were 12 ga and the bolt was in a curve - save money and do it right once!
      Volvo - Tougher than dirt.

    9. #9
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      kitchener,Ontario,Canada
      Posts
      2,358
      Country Flag: Canada
      Use a carriage bolt as what the bumper would have come with from the factory then with the bolt inplace tacks the back side...once the location is set, weld it solid all the way around the bolt. Once cooled the head of those bolts can be ground off. If the person doing the job is competent there shouldn't be a issue with any weld or grinding. As the base metal should be around 50 k psi tensile strength and the weld should be about 70k psi tensile strength. Adding any other metal is useless unless you plan on actually hitting things with the bumpefs. Almost all cars of the era have quite thick bumpers from the factory. On each bumper bracket you can now slot the bolt holes which will allow you to bring them in closer to the body...giving you get another custom aspect to your car. Any questions Ryan

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Phoenix
      Posts
      112
      Country Flag: United States
      I would love to see some pics. I understand the two ways of doing it along with welding the bumper the the mounting brackets, then bolt the mounting brackets to the frame. Raustiness: What do you mean (slot the holes which will allow you to bring them in closer)?

    11. #11
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      kitchener,Ontario,Canada
      Posts
      2,358
      Country Flag: Canada
      If your bumper brackets have a hole in them for the bolt to pass thru into the frame just slot them....use a die grinder and a carbide burr, by making the hole oval shaped...and I mean elongate the hole away from the original location this will allow you to the bring the bumper closer to the car which tightens up the factory tolerances...looking custom

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      corona,ca.
      Posts
      1,116
      Country Flag: United States
      What i did for the bolts of my chevelles bumpers,was cut the round head off the bolt,chuck the threaded end in the lathe,face the square end,then center drill,drill,and counter sink the square end for the weld to burn in deep into the square end,then finish grind and paint.i also didnt do the"big washer deal "i tig welded the bolt from inside of the bumper.
      72 chevelle.

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Posts
      131
      Country Flag: United States
      I finally got motivated to shave and tuck my bumper on my 62 dart. I first took the bumper to my chrome shop and had the chrome stripped, not sure if required but seemed like a good idea. After starting i realized after doing some online research, most bumper chromers requested no weld prep/repairs be done to the bumper, as it makes their job much harder to smooth and plate. So i was worried and stopped after experimenting on the lower less visible welds i had done. So i did very light grind on the upper welds and dropped bumper off at chromer. Getting nervous, i asked chromer if I could inspect the bumper after their prepping, but before rechroming, and IMO they nearly ruined my bumper, it has huge ground out visible waves where THEY ground on my welds, my grinding areas are not even visible. I'm rather discouraged and not looking forward to fixing their screwup/lack of expertise and all the time it will take. FWIW.




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com