Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 12 of 12
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Eastern Virginia
      Posts
      3,963
      Country Flag: United States

      Machine shop hours....

      Am I just a tight wad or did the cheese fall off this guys cracker......

      I went into a machine shop wondering what it would cost to make some aluminum spacers. 8 of them 1" diameter, 1 7/8 long with a 7/16 hole thru, and 2 of them 1" diameter, 2 1/8" long with a 5/8" diameter shoulder 5/16 high on one end with a 7/16 hole thru. And he told me $300!
      Scot
      86 Monte SS


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Mar 2004
      Location
      Mid-Michigan
      Posts
      2,764
      Country Flag: United States
      I figure 3 to 4 hours at 60 dollars an hour = 240.00 He's not far off, depends on hourly rate and what he charges for set-up.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Eastern Virginia
      Posts
      3,963
      Country Flag: United States
      Really takes that long to bore & cut to length, & turn a 5/16 length down from 1" to 5/8?

      Scot
      86 Monte SS



    4. #4
      Join Date
      Jun 2001
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      10,604
      Country Flag: United States
      Seems reasonable, given material, setup, machine time, and clean up.
      ​John Parsons

      UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

      UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Mar 2004
      Location
      Mid-Michigan
      Posts
      2,764
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt View Post
      Really takes that long to bore & cut to length, & turn a 5/16 length down from 1" to 5/8?
      Yes Sir, I look back at all of the machine time I have in my control arms. Probably 10 to 12 hours. It all takes time, unless of course, you have a 3 or 5 axis turning center then all of your time goes into the programming... it's all relative.
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jun 2001
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      10,604
      Country Flag: United States
      Right. It will cost $300 for your 10. $350 for 20. $400 for 40. $500 for 100. Or something like that.
      ​John Parsons

      UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

      UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      Tampabay, Florida
      Posts
      78
      Country Flag: United States
      I use to be a tool maker and have experience in this. A job shop in my area would have made these for $100 to $150. If you went to a shop where small quick runs aren't the norm then they will quote higher just "in case". There is a company that takes orders over the net for small runs that is reasonably priced and sends the parts right to your house. Surely someone will chime in with the companies name.

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Indiana
      Posts
      412
      Country Flag: United States
      What kind of accuracy are you looking for. I might be able to make them for $200. It would be done on a manual lathe.
      [email protected]

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Eastern Virginia
      Posts
      3,963
      Country Flag: United States
      So my goal was to make something for less than what I had found a kit for. I guess it can't be done, so I am just going to buy the kit & be done.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS


    10. #10
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Location
      New Derry, PA
      Posts
      1,265
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt View Post
      So my goal was to make something for less than what I had found a kit for. I guess it can't be done, so I am just going to buy the kit & be done.
      Just FYI Scot, you will almost ALWAYS find that to be the case. If a "kit" exists that will work without further modifications, it's probably the cheapest way to go. Parts don't go into production unless there is sufficient demand for a company to absorb all the setup and tooling costs mentioned above. Unless you've got a buddy that will build stuff for a "case of beer", kit pricing is tough to beat.

      Ray Kaufman - Wyotech Chassis Fab and High Performance Instructor. Words of Wisdom from an old master... at Asylum Custom Interiors website

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Location
      Washington, MO
      Posts
      2,363
      Ugh... I'm needing something similar, it doesn't sound cheap... I'll stop by my local place and see what they say.

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Location
      the dirty mitten
      Posts
      1,217
      Country Flag: United States
      I found a local guy on craigslist that has a decent machine shop setup at his house. He does $45/hr. Just had him do 4 hours of work for me, changed $240. Maybe try not using a shop? Or get your own lathe and make all sorts of parts for yourself/friends. I really want to get my own mill
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com