Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 18 of 18
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Arkansas
      Posts
      18

      FNG with a G-body OLDS

      Greetings all!




      My name is Michael Elmendorf. Last name is difficult for about 99% of the world population, so I am known as DORF for short. I have been lurking around this site for some time and finally decided it was time to take the intro plunge. Moving on, I would like to say I love this site! You guys are a wealth of information for a troller such as myself. It is good to finally find a place where the G-body gets a little bit of love and respect.

      My unicorn is a 1983 15th Anniversary Hurst/Olds - aka BOLT. I am one that never likes to see myself coming or going and this car pretty much assures that never happens. This car is probably the most misunderstood car I have ever owned. I cannot tell you how many times I have been told "Hey that is a sweet SS you've got there" or "Is this a Grand National?". It simply boggles my mind! It is an Oldsmobile people, do you not see the OLDS in HURST/OLDS!? And forget trying to explain to someone what you have without them seeing it ;p

      As for my project (a slow work in progress), I have purchased a wrecked '98 Z28 that has an mild LQ4/4L60E w/3500 stall for my LS swap. This will be Phase 1 of many to come I am sure. I ultimately want a 408 stroker under the hood, but we have to start somewhere - right? I have named this project - ALTER EGO, and will post the build info in the project section shortly. With the help of my childhood best friend, Joey, and many other helping hands - I will give BOLT the power the '80's smog nazies kept from him

      I am glad to be a part of this forum and look forward to getting to know you guys


      Here are a few pics of BOLT, Enjoy . . . .


      DORF

















    2. #2
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      overseas
      Posts
      3,434
      Country Flag: United States
      welcome aboard Dorf! good to see another g-body lover over here! can't wait to see more!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

      www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      Columbus, OH
      Posts
      216
      Country Flag: United States
      Very clean H/O! My first car was a 1983 Olds Cutlass. Glad to see another Olds.
      1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S

      http://fivelugs.com

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Easton, PA
      Posts
      989
      Country Flag: United States
      I remember it well! I have a picture of me sitting in one at EPCOT center in '83! GM sponsored one of the attractions at the time and showed all the current new models.
      love the lightning rods too! are you going to try and keep them?

      and I'm sure you're used to this already, but the OLDS guys are going to HATE you if you put a new engine in there! everyone here though will LOVE it!
      Keith C.

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Location
      Garland, Tx
      Posts
      533
      Country Flag: United States
      I love G-body Hurst/Olds'! Maybe not the '78's as much.....but this is a beautiful car! It's also not quite sacred enough that you can't mess with it. Good luck with the project!

      Going to try and keep the Lightning Rods?

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Arkansas
      Posts
      18
      Quote Originally Posted by CruizinKev View Post
      welcome aboard Dorf! good to see another g-body lover over here! can't wait to see more!
      Thank you for the warm welcome. It is good to finally find a place where the G-bodies are alive and well and their numbers are strong


      Quote Originally Posted by deejai35 View Post
      Very clean H/O! My first car was a 1983 Olds Cutlass. Glad to see another Olds.
      Thanks. I am glad that I have some fellow Olds lovers here.



      Quote Originally Posted by twosaturns View Post
      I remember it well! I have a picture of me sitting in one at EPCOT center in '83! GM sponsored one of the attractions at the time and showed all the current new models.
      love the lightning rods too! are you going to try and keep them?

      and I'm sure you're used to this already, but the OLDS guys are going to HATE you if you put a new engine in there! everyone here though will LOVE it!
      DEFINITELY going to keep the Lightning Rods my friend! And I know all too well the words you speak. The Oldsmobile purists detest anything other than an Olds power plant between the fenders. But I say piss on it, this car is the perfect candidate for an LS swap


      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
      I love G-body Hurst/Olds'! Maybe not the '78's as much.....but this is a beautiful car! It's also not quite sacred enough that you can't mess with it. Good luck with the project!

      Going to try and keep the Lightning Rods?
      I appreciate it, and I am definitely going to retain the Lightning Rods ;)

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Eastern Virginia
      Posts
      3,963
      Country Flag: United States
      Welcome G body brother. Nice looking GN, I mean SS, I mean.... Just Kidding, I have always loved those Hurst Olds, I wanted one of those when I was a kid. But instead I ended up with a Monte SS.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS


    8. #8
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Oldenburg
      Posts
      38
      Country Flag: Germany
      Welcome Herr Elmendorf!
      Nice G-Olds! Love the shifters ;-) !!!!

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Arkansas
      Posts
      18
      Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt View Post
      Welcome G body brother. Nice looking GN, I mean SS, I mean.... Just Kidding, I have always loved those Hurst Olds, I wanted one of those when I was a kid. But instead I ended up with a Monte SS.
      LMAO! You wouldn't believe how many folks simply have no clue what this car is Love your car, very tastefully done sir





      Quote Originally Posted by RobertGP View Post
      Welcome Herr Elmendorf!
      Nice G-Olds! Love the shifters ;-) !!!!
      Too funny! The shifters are real topic of conversation at shows and G2G's. I appreciate the kind words


    10. #10
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      San Antonio, TX
      Posts
      1,635
      Welcome to the site, that is one excellent example of a H/O, very clean.
      A co-worker had an 82 silver one with the Lightning rods, a ton of fun there...

      I agree with the LS swap, as probably 98% of people on this board.
      BTW, by hanging around here, your project budget just doubled, if not tripled.
      Welcome to the sickness...
      Dave
      84 Monte SS - just a few bolt-ons

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Eastern Virginia
      Posts
      3,963
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by LSX Vigilante View Post
      LMAO! You wouldn't believe how many folks simply have no clue what this car is Love your car, very tastefully done sir
      Thanks. I occasionally hear the "Nice GN" phrase too.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS


    12. #12
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      163
      Country Flag: United States
      Welcome sweet Ride! I always get my GP mistaken for a Monte....lol! Always like to see a G body built up.
      Ernesto M.

    13. #13
      Join Date
      May 2011
      Location
      quebec canada
      Posts
      8
      hi 1987 cutlass 350 3 speed 341

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Posts
      145
      wow man gorgeous car. any idea for a suspension yet? check out my irregal build some time and i hope to see you post progress. go g bodies!!!

    15. #15
      Join Date
      May 2011
      Location
      Central FL
      Posts
      216
      Great looking Olds. Never seen those shifters before, just how do they work? Do you push forward or pull back? Are they self-centering?
      - David
      1967 Camaro - In remembrance of my friend Scott

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Location
      Cesspool, South Carolina
      Posts
      35
      That's a clean Hurst.....I remember when they came out! Nobody seemed to like the Lightning Rods, hmmm, I always thought they were cool. Great ride!
      ASE Master Tech
      Toyota Master Tech
      1983 Trans Am WS6

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Arkansas
      Posts
      18
      Quote Originally Posted by irregal83 View Post
      wow man gorgeous car. any idea for a suspension yet? check out my irregal build some time and i hope to see you post progress. go g bodies!!!
      Going to go with components from SC&C up front (SPC Adj UCA and SPC LCA w/ AFX Spindles) leaning toward coilovers, but not 100% set on them. Out back, I am going with all UMI hardware w/ the Moser 9".

      Also link to my build thread can be found here - PROJECT ALTER EGO

      Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendScott View Post
      Great looking Olds. Never seen those shifters before, just how do they work? Do you push forward or pull back? Are they self-centering?
      Here is a great vid on the Lightning Rod shifters and how they operate. Kinda of a gimmick, but I love them! Makes me kinda feel like WJ back in the day when the Pro Stock cars ran Lenco's w/ multiple sticks

      LIGHTNING RODS OPERATION

      Quote Originally Posted by OldMechanik View Post
      That's a clean Hurst.....I remember when they came out! Nobody seemed to like the Lightning Rods, hmmm, I always thought they were cool. Great ride!
      Thank you sir!
      Last edited by LSX Vigilante; 06-17-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Content
      NAME --> MICHAEL
      P
      RO-TOURING PROJECT --> ALTER EGO


    18. #18
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Posts
      56
      Nice car! Welcome aboard.




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com