Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Results 21 to 30 of 30
    1. #21
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      717
      Quote Originally Posted by GrabberGT View Post
      A good protouring car doesnt have to cost a lot. You can stay with the stock front suspension and make a few mods. Think of what the old timers were doing before all the new guys with their front aftermarket subframes and tubular bits of this and that. Some easy mods for the front suspension are to go to a stiffer lowering spring from an early mustang, can box the lower control arms, stiffer sway bar. 7/8" fonr sway is common. (Anything larger will have to be custom.) And then, last but not least, do a Shelby upper control arm drop.

      Subframe connectors are a must!

      The rear suspension can use stiffer de-arched leafs and a sway bar. If you choose to go with lowering blocks you may consider a locating device like a panhard bar or watts link.

      The stance on my car took a lot to achieve. The wheel arches had to be radiused for the wider, lower stance.

      My car now has a TCP Coil-Over conversion kit and an RRS power Rack & Pinion with a 7/8" sway bar. The rear has been replaced with a TCI Torque Arm system for a Mustang. If you go this route, do the work yourself or find a friend who works for beer. Keeping the price down, as many will tell you, is largely determined by how much you can do yourself.

      Good luck. Feel free to hit me up for specifics.

      Also, if you havent found it yet, check out this msg board. ITs nothing but Mavericks. (and comets but they dont count. LOL)

      http://www.maverick.to/mmb/index.php
      just a few questions to you.
      can you still do the shelby mod if you have the reinforced plates in the way?
      do you still use subframe connectors with the torque arm suspension you have?
      and would you ever be willing to mod another up for other mav guys :-D
      whats youre 9in narrowed to...flange to flange? 51.5?
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

    2. #22
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      717
      Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
      What about air under leafs. Instead of blocks how about an air bag. Then you could lower your car by filling the bag with air. I know there needs to be something to take side loads, but it would be something cool to look in to. Maybe that will be my next project.
      it's actually air over leaf
      it should work well, lower ride height stiff de-arc spring for good carry-load and handleing
      that and the manual air control unit would be a cheapish way to make the rear handle well
      air over leaf
      http://www.ridetech.com/store/muscle...ures_hash=V224



      ride pro anolog
      http://www.ridetech.com/store/contro...ay-system.html
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!


    3. #23
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Location
      san diego
      Posts
      5,101
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Nothingface5384 View Post
      it's actually air over leaf
      it should work well, lower ride height stiff de-arc spring for good carry-load and handleing
      that and the manual air control unit would be a cheapish way to make the rear handle well
      air over leaf
      http://www.ridetech.com/store/muscle...ures_hash=V224

      ride pro anolog
      http://www.ridetech.com/store/contro...ay-system.html

      I know what air over leaf is. I was saying for those guys that want the car to be lower when they park they could put an air bag in instead of a lowering block. There are a lot of other things to consider. but it would work with the right engineering.

      If you build a low stance into the suspension with de-arched springs then you really would ever need to raise the car, unless the load changes.

    4. #24
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Location
      Lawrenceville, Ga.
      Posts
      440
      Country Flag: United States
      Lowering blocks are fine, my brother ran them for years on his 66 Mustang. You could run some traction master bars on it and rig up a pan hard bar to keep the rear from dancing around. The mustang did well with out the panhard bar but it would improve it. I'm going to have to do this one my 78 Cobra. Cool thing about my car is it has staggered shocks.
      There are 2 factors in Autocross, Tires and the loose nut behind the wheel.

      Paul Grala
      69 Mach 1 project (For Sale)
      78 Cobra
      87 GT
      98 Expedition

    5. #25
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Roanoke (FortWorth) Texas
      Posts
      786
      Quote Originally Posted by Nothingface5384 View Post
      just a few questions to you.
      can you still do the shelby mod if you have the reinforced plates in the way?
      do you still use subframe connectors with the torque arm suspension you have?
      and would you ever be willing to mod another up for other mav guys :-D
      whats youre 9in narrowed to...flange to flange? 51.5?
      Sorry, I dont remember what the rear end is narrowed to. I went standard Maverick width less another half an inch for more tire room.

      I dont see why there would be a problem doing the shelby drop with reinforcment plates. I dont have the reinforcement plates.

      The TCI torque arm setup came with SFC's.
      Chris

      Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

    6. #26
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      717
      i loooked it up, I seems like standard maverick width is 56.5 width...somereason I though it was alot more narrow then that ha

      SFC?
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

    7. #27
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Roanoke (FortWorth) Texas
      Posts
      786
      Quote Originally Posted by Nothingface5384 View Post
      i loooked it up, I seems like standard maverick width is 56.5 width...somereason I though it was alot more narrow then that ha

      SFC?
      SFC's = SubFrameConnectors
      Chris

      Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

    8. #28
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Posts
      3
      Where's the best place to get some sub frame connectors? And how can you find out if a rear end is a posi or not? What about a torque arm setup? I greatly appreciate all the help guys I wont lie some of it I dont understand but I;m figuring it out lol. Basically what other stuff do i need for a nice rear end setup that can take some power being forced to it.....eventually that is. I know I am interested in getting a ford 9", a rear sway bar, update my leaf springs. Ive seen this setup,http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/gBar.html, and it looks amazing but it A- is expensive as hell, and B- isnt made for a Maverick setup. Any thoughts? I have the front figured out thanks to you all except for should i use mustang spindles? and if so what years would work

    9. #29
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Roanoke (FortWorth) Texas
      Posts
      786
      Quote Originally Posted by jhartseil01224 View Post
      Where's the best place to get some sub frame connectors? And how can you find out if a rear end is a posi or not? What about a torque arm setup? I greatly appreciate all the help guys I wont lie some of it I dont understand but I;m figuring it out lol. Basically what other stuff do i need for a nice rear end setup that can take some power being forced to it.....eventually that is. I know I am interested in getting a ford 9", a rear sway bar, update my leaf springs. Ive seen this setup,http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/gBar.html, and it looks amazing but it A- is expensive as hell, and B- isnt made for a Maverick setup. Any thoughts? I have the front figured out thanks to you all except for should i use mustang spindles? and if so what years would work
      SFC's https://chassisengineering.com/shopD...ProductId=1545

      Torque Arm - Total Cost involved, Griggs Racing, Speedtech, are all doing products for fords. Thats not to say that a BMC or other system cannot be adapted because none of these are actually made for the maverick and will require some modifications.

      Sorry, I cant help with the posi questions

      I am using 73 mustang disc spindles on mine. Im not sure on the exact years but I believe 68-73 are safe to use. Your brake setup though will determine which spindle you use. Some brake kits are designed for the Drum spindles and others are designed for the disc. I'll say this though, I could use some drop spindles for mine but nobody makes them. I've been told that if there was a drop spindle being made, it would be based on the drum spindle and not the disc. So pick your brakes wisely so you dont have to repurchase them later on. The Ring Brothers latest creation, "Bailout" 66 mustang uses drum spindles that are heavily modified. Maybe they built their own drop spindles.
      Chris

      Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

    10. #30
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      717
      spindles should be the same up to 74...10' disc mustang/pintp/mII setup...75+ should be maverick/granada 11inch discs
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com