Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 19 of 19
    1. #1
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Manteca, CA
      Posts
      383

      Spot weld cutter

      I'm looking for a spot weld cutter/bit.

      I've looked at several at Eastwood and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. It looks like there at basically 2 types.... one is basically a large drill bit and the other has a drill bit in the center and a larger cutting ring on the outside of that.

      So any tips on which works the best with the least amount of damage to the remaining sheetmetal. I'm getting ready to get rid of the rusty trunk pan in the Barracuda.

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      La Plata, MD
      Posts
      265
      I have used both and the one which resembles a large drill bit/mill bit is the S#$T!!! The other one which looks like a small hole saw dulls quickly and wears the tip out. With the bit version cleanup of the old spot weld is simple because you removed all the material as with the other one you still need to remove the spot weld with a grinder. also with the bit version I removed both floor pans before it started showing signs of dulling (using cutting oil and not over heating the bit). Hope this helps.

      Bruce
      1968 Pontiac Firebird
      LT1/T56
      Bruce

    3. #3
      blair cutter works the best, i like to use a 1/8 bit to drill the center of spot welds, this locks the blair cutter tip in to make for a clean cut, then when welding back together the 1/8 hole on the inner panel gets welded up easily.
      jake



    4. #4
      Join Date
      Oct 2004
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      769
      Country Flag: United States

      Snap-on

      I used the snap-on ones, 100 dollars for 4 they worked great and are guaranteed.( the main body not the 1/8 in. drill bit) also can be sharpened on bench grinder.

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Melbourne, FL
      Posts
      1,046
      Country Flag: United States
      Most body shop supply stores carry these. I picked up one to use when I removed my upper dash panel. They work great. But it wasn't $100.
      67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 Johnny Winters TH400 74cc KRE d-port flowed @ 310 cfm heads piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s

      Honest dad that 455 on the side of the block is a serial number

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Mountain View, CA
      Posts
      9,583
      Country Flag: United States
      I was looking at the car last night trying to figure this out. Could somone post a link to the various types of tools for this so I know what I'm looking for.

      I did all the work on my Jeeps with an air chisel....yikes, tons of work and it really jacked up the panel. This sounds like a better way to go. I just need to know which tool and where to get it.
      True T.

      Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?


      Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

      My blog

      When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Manteca, CA
      Posts
      383
      I looked on Eastwood and found these..

      http://eastwood.resultspage.com/sear...om&w=spot+weld

      I just ordered the one at the top.... the 3/8 inch "Pro"

      I've had hit and miss results with stuff off Eastwood. Sometimes it works great and lasts a long time, and others it ends up being junk, so we'll see.

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Port St. Lucie, FL
      Posts
      134
      Quote Originally Posted by DRJDVM's '69
      I looked on Eastwood and found these..

      http://eastwood.resultspage.com/sear...om&w=spot+weld

      I just ordered the one at the top.... the 3/8 inch "Pro"

      I've had hit and miss results with stuff off Eastwood. Sometimes it works great and lasts a long time, and others it ends up being junk, so we'll see.
      Thats the one I would go with. I had the other type with the pilot bit and it did not last long.
      Gary Armstrong

      Big block Duster in progress.....I mean purgatory....Hell with it I named it "Project Purgatory"


    9. #9
      Join Date
      Nov 2004
      Location
      Tinley Park
      Posts
      132
      i used a matco one(40 bucks or so), centerpunched the spot, spun it nice and slow(about 200 rpm or so) and 1 bit got me through everything i needed... and i needed alot...
      lol...
      pain is nothing compared to the emptiness that comes from quitting.
      owner of "Primal"
      1970 Camaro RS
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2092707
      Camaro Z28

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Columbus, Ohio
      Posts
      117
      True,

      Here ya go.... I hope the link works

      http://www.autotoolmart.com/cgi-bin/..._sresults.html

      Darren

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Boston MA
      Posts
      686
      http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT
      I've been happy with these. I've cut a LOT of spot welds this winter. I run it off a small cordless variable speed drill. Make sure you start with a good ddeep center punch. if you don't the cutter will wonder and break teeth in an instant. Like the primate said, spin it SLOW. Enjoy
      1967 #s RS

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Mountain View, CA
      Posts
      9,583
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Fluid Power
      True,

      Here ya go.... I hope the link works

      http://www.autotoolmart.com/cgi-bin/..._sresults.html

      Darren
      nope
      True T.

      Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?


      Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

      My blog

      When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Nov 2005
      Posts
      200
      I bought one of the drill bit types from east wood. IT works ok, but what I found works the best is a die grinder. Works ten times faster , much less effort, and allows to get entire spot weld area. Sometimes the spot welds are not concentric so cutting with a cutter can still leave some of the weld, plus if the drill drifts you are still left with welded material.

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Location
      Grand Rapids, MI
      Posts
      1,559
      Country Flag: United States
      Sorry bout resurrecting such an old post but I would like to get peoples thoughts and see if opinions have changed in the last 3 1/2 years.

      I am ordering up two quarter panels and will be replacing them over the holidays this year, read ALOT of spot welds to drill out as I'm doing full quarters. Obviously I don't want to buy something that will go dull in short time, but also don't expect it to last through two quarter panels, would be nice though. Another question on the cutters similar to drill bits, can they be sharpened? For example using a drill doctor or something else.

      Thanks for all the insight.
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Jul 2006
      Location
      Phoenix
      Posts
      467
      I have a set of these that I got from a Snap On truck (Blue Point) and they are fantastic but not the cheapest out there. Since they are Blue Point that means Snap On buys them on the oustide and relabels them. Maybe other companies sell the same thing for less.

      http://www.rotabroach.co.uk/en/produ...i-cutters.aspx

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Posts
      191
      Quote Originally Posted by gmachine68 View Post
      blair cutter works the best, i like to use a 1/8 bit to drill the center of spot welds, this locks the blair cutter tip in to make for a clean cut, then when welding back together the 1/8 hole on the inner panel gets welded up easily.
      jake

      yep..that's the one

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      431
      Country Flag: United States
      I've purchased the spot weld cutters from Eastwood, Northern Tool, etc. No offense, but they're junk. Don't waste your money. Go here and buy this set. You won't regret it. Main thing to remember, go slow when drilling and let the bit do the work.
      http://www.amazon.com/Blair-BLR11096...DJ7X2AZR2097RD
      Dave

      1972 Nova
      1967 RS/SS Camaro - current project

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Location
      Jacksonville Florida
      Posts
      667
      I've wasted money on snap-on,hf,junk,the best by far are Blair ,also same kit can be bought from Matco for $50 a kit with 5 or 6 different size bits,it literally takes only few seconds per spot weld

    19. #19
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      Location
      Grand Rapids, MI
      Posts
      1,559
      Country Flag: United States
      Actually wasn't too impressed with the blair kit. My NAPA kit proved to be a bit better for quite a bit less. The blair was fine for the first 1/2 - 1 dozen cuts, then seemed to dull and didn't cut well at all. I couldn't get through one quarter panel with all three cutters in the kit. Super disappointed! The NAPA cutter worked like a champ though. Did one full quarter and part of the other with one that was used a bit last year. Do know what was up with the Blair, but I wasn't impressed, unfortunately.
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com