Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

View Poll Results: Your thoughts on Dynamat (or similar product)

Voters
    9. You may not vote on this poll
    • Made a big difference. I love it.

4 44.44%
    • I used it but Im not impressed, would not use again.

2 22.22%
    • Dont need it, its a muscle car, I dont care if its loud.

2 22.22%
    • I wanted it for better audio experience, stop rattles, etc.

1 11.11%
    • Other...please comment below

0 0%
      Country Flag: United States

Dynamat. Is it worth it? Pros/Cons

For a 68 Camaro: Wondering what everyone thinks about Dynamat sound deadening (or similar product)? How many boxes are needed for average car? Where are people putting the Dynamat? What types are there, thicknesses, materials, etc.? What are results, did you notice a difference? How much weight does it add to do a car? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
      Pete

1968 Camaro
      2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543199

I have a very loud exhaust and love it that way (FM 10s that dump in front of axle) so I used it inside my car. I have it all over the entire floor and halfway up the firewall. Also on the inside of the roof. With the windows up, you can hold a nice conversation like a new car. Absolutely worth it.

If I had to do it again, I would also add it to the door skins and especially in the trunk!

I wish the thermal barrier properties were better tho. I still get a fair bit of heat from the firewall and console area. I'm going to be adding DEI reflect-a-gold to the inside of the trans tunnel next week to help.

There are lots of different types so choose the one to address what you are concerned with most (noise, vibration, heat, etc).
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

I used Dynamat Extreme: I put it in my doors(a couple of strips on the inside of the outer skin) and used it as the watershield under the door panels.
      The doors now close with a "thud". That was a huge difference.
      I also put it on the ceiling, floors, and behind the back seat.

Some guys put it in the trunk area, but I don't think it is really needed there.

BTW: the cheapest prices I found were on Amazon.com
      1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B (Jan 69) LOS Build

I bought some off-brand "Dynamat" from Amazon and ended up shipping it back for one reason - the weight. There are different thicknesses available, but generally, the thicker it is, the better it works. I see a lot of people saying they used 3+ bulk packs of Dynamat in their car. 3 bulk packs = 108 square feet * 0.68 pounds per square feet (for original Dynamat) = 73 lbs of added weight.

For the way I use my car (nice day cruiser, windows down, usually not long distance), it wasn't worth it to me.

Everybody brings up https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ in these threads, and I think it's for good reason. There are more effective, weight conscious ways to limit noise than the "big stick" approach of covering everything in Dynamat, but it requires more work and more thinking. As always, I recommend looking to the OEM's, not the aftermarket, for the most balanced solutions. When you lift up the carpet of a new BMW (or Cadillac, or Mercedes...), you don't see layers of butyl rubber.
      - Ryan

I used a competitor product to Dynamat (second skin) which was rated highly. It works for its intended purpose but overall I don't think it makes a huge difference.

I previously had my firewall covered the floor covered 100%, the out door skins covered, the rear quarter skins covered, even used some on the rear package tray and seat back supports. Basically covered it everywhere except the trunk and ceiling. I've since removed it from the doors, quarters, package tray and parts of the floor. I also removed all of the second skin sound insulating foam. I did it to save 10-20 lbs in weight and was shocked at how little difference I noticed after removing so much of it.

I can still listen to my stereo and make calls on bluetooth through my stereo. Much more of the noise coming into the cabin is from the poor window design, exhaust and a bit of rear gear whine which it didn't do much for.

If building a pure street car that you want to make as comfortable as possible I think it's probably worth it. But for a car that you are also trying to make perform as well as possible on autocross or the track in addition to street driving, I don't think its worth it.

For sound deadening, I'd also recommend installing it correctly, which means not applying it to cover 100% of the panel.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      For sound deadening, I'd also recommend installing it correctly, which means not applying it to cover 100% of the panel.
      Absolutely this. I see a LOT of people doing it incorrectly with sound deadening.
      http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
      1969 Pontiac Firebird
      w/535ci IAII aluminum block, Dailey dry sump, Holley EFI (full road race build). Primer black w/black interior.
      1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
      Absolutely this. I see a LOT of people doing it incorrectly with sound deadening.
      To second this, I've also learnt to not cover everything 100% and applied it that way in the past, But EVERY top-end shop I see building cars(instagram mostly), whatever it's purpose, continue to do 100% coverage and I'm unsure why?
      Unless they're sponsored by the sound deadening company perhaps

When I'm at a crossroads in my build, I've got a bit of the attitude where I think "what would Detroit speed or roadstershop do?" hence why I used raptor liner on my floors initially. But this is one baffles me a little.

Dynamat. Is it worth it? Pros/Cons

So I have the entire floor and firewall covered on my 71 Camaro. Really helps with heat more than sound. It’s a loud car. But now with the T56 I’m cruising 75 at 2200 so it’s pretty quiet but I normally also have the windows open. But the heat reduction is the big win. This is a 520hp motor so it makes some heat. It’s comfortable in the cabin. Even did a 3-4 hour drive mostly stop and go in 90deg+ temps this summer. Fried a MSD but we were doing fine in the cabin.

Now - I also have a 2016 convertible and added an exhaust system. It has some drone so I thought maybe try some sound deadening. I covered probably 75pct of the trunk area which had nothing from the factory. Wow. Made a huge difference in sound. Drone is all but gone. And it’s way quieter overall with the top up now especially on the highway.
      I used a cheaper brand too. Forget which one. Found it on amazon. Worked great !
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
      So I have the entire floor and firewall covered on my 71 Camaro. Really helps with heat more than sound. It’s a loud car. But now with the T56 I’m cruising 75 at 2200 so it’s pretty quiet but I normally also have the windows open. But the heat reduction is the big win. This is a 520hp motor so it makes some heat. It’s comfortable in the cabin. Even did a 3-4 hour drive mostly stop and go in 90deg+ temps this summer. Fried a MSD but we were doing fine in the cabin.

Now - I also have a 2016 convertible and added an exhaust system. It has some drone so I thought maybe try some sound deadening. I covered probably 75pct of the trunk area which had nothing from the factory. Wow. Made a huge difference in sound. Drone is all but gone. And it’s way quieter overall with the top up now especially on the highway.
      I used a cheaper brand too. Forget which one. Found it on amazon. Worked great !
      NOICO by chance?

Does anyone have any experience with Flatline Barriers?
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
      NOICO by chance?
      yes that was it - 80mil

worked great and was reasonably priced.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

yes that was it - 80mil

I've heard good things, they're the number one seller on Amazon, If I don't go with Membrane I'll probably go with Noico

Nothing bad to say about it. I have two types of Dynamat on my 71. I’d say it’s pretty equivalent.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

NOICO by chance?
      yes that was it - 80mil

I've heard good things, they're the number one seller on Amazon, If I don't go with Membrane I'll probably go with Noico
      I did the Noico on my 68

I'd like to know what the consensus is on applying this stuff to your car. Like others have mentioned, you don't need to cover every square inch of your car in the stuff, but why do we see it done like that in high end builds from well known shops?

I'm all for saving weight, but how much do you really save applying it strategically to certain panels and sections as opposed to just blanketing the whole interior in the stuff?

I think at the end of the day most of us just want to get rid of some resonance and for those with AC, just looking to eliminate some heat coming from the outside. I would never expect it to sound like a new luxury car inside, nor would I want it to!

Quote Originally Posted by John McIntire View Post
      I'd like to know what the consensus is on applying this stuff to your car. Like others have mentioned, you don't need to cover every square inch of your car in the stuff, but why do we see it done like that in high end builds from well known shops?

I'm all for saving weight, but how much do you really save applying it strategically to certain panels and sections as opposed to just blanketing the whole interior in the stuff?

I think at the end of the day most of us just want to get rid of some resonance and for those with AC, just looking to eliminate some heat coming from the outside. I would never expect it to sound like a new luxury car inside, nor would I want it to!
      Well - one thing if using on the floor if you don’t cover the whole floor pan you will end up with lumps in the carpet. Probably you don’t need it everywhere but it’s easier to do that way and gives a nice smooth underpayment for carpet or other upholstery
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Be sure to take a look at a variety of different NVH options as there is not one-size-fits-all solution here. While dynamat/butyl works quite well at low frequency noises, it does very little for high frequency noises [tire noise]. You would also want to take a look at something like mass loaded vinyl that is quite dense and offers some additional thickness for areas that aren't space constrained. Something like open cell foam hiding behind a headliner, inside wheel wells [exterior], etc will help combat high frequency tire noise.

Having built my car with what I thought I knew, I would do a few thinks differently to help mitigate NVH across the entire spectrum.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

I just posted a pic in the other thread, but my Membrane came in today, and if nothing else it at least looks to be a rather elegant combo product. It certainly beats trying to manually stack different products. Hoping to get it installed after I get my heater delete panel in place.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com