Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 89

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Location
      Janesville, WI
      Posts
      566
      Country Flag: United States
      With more gracious help from friends I have pulled the L92 from the stand, and bolted up the bell housing to align the oil pan. As luck would have it my torque wrench crapped out. I'm glad I didn't trust it because it wanted to put down way more than the spec 18 ft/lbs on the oil pan bolts! That would have been a bad day stripping treads out of the aluminum block! But I snugged them down so at least it is aligned, and I picked up 2 new torque wrenches the other day. A 1/2" drive to replace the failed unit and a smaller 3/8" in/lb that will be better suited for most smaller fasteners. Hope the old torque wrench was accurate when we were doing the rod bolts!! I think it was though, just the low torque settings that seem to be an issue...

      Then we put it back on the stand to install the corvette balancer. I skipped the trick of heating the balancer to make installation easier. That may have been a mistake as installation was quite difficult. In fact I ruined a specialized tool made to install LS balancers. After reading a bit on the inter-webs on how much torque to apply I found it to be 250 lb/ft! So I needed a cheater bar. Problem was the special tool required a large crescent wrench (as I didn't have a large enough open end wrench). So my usual cheater pipe would not fit. After some garage scrounging, we did find a suitable replacement that did fit over the wider wrench handle:

      Who knows what that super specialized, high performance cheater bar is?
      Lol

      I was not able to research a definitive answer on just when the balancer is on fully. This is how the balancer is in relationship to the flange now. Any input would be helpful here. Needless to say we put a lot of torque to it and even went to the old bolt method after stripping the tool (thankfully not the crank!).


      In order to run the LS3 intake in reverse orientation, the oil pressure sensor at the rear of the valley cover needs to be removed. After much speculation on just how to remove the bung and machine the surface flat, I went crude and just saw-zalled and flapper wheeled it down.



      Now I have yet another decision to make. Katech makes a slick piece that bolts to the flat surface I have created, putting the stock sender at a 90 degree angle. In fact they already had an adaptor for the other LS engines, but the LS3 intake allows even less room than the others. Luckily for me they just released an LS3 specific part that is even more dramatically machined. The alternative is to drill and tap the cap over the oil filter or buy a pre tapped piece.

      I'm currently leaning toward ponying up for the Katech piece to keep the harness relatively stock routed, and using the cap by the filer for an aftermarket sender.

      -Shaun-
      L92/T56 Stalker 1711 pounds, LS power!
      73 Buick Century L92/T56 swap in progress


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      The City of Fountains
      Posts
      16,125
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by subtlez28 View Post
      '

      Now I have yet another decision to make. Katech makes a slick piece that bolts to the flat surface I have created, putting the stock sender at a 90 degree angle. In fact they already had an adaptor for the other LS engines, but the LS3 intake allows even less room than the others. Luckily for me they just released an LS3 specific part that is even more dramatically machined. The alternative is to drill and tap the cap over the oil filter or buy a pre tapped piece.

      I'm currently leaning toward ponying up for the Katech piece to keep the harness relatively stock routed, and using the cap by the filer for an aftermarket sender.
      Shaun,

      Great progress.

      For the oil sender, I suggest finding a part from C5 Corvettes or 4th gen f-bodies. I am talking about the piece that goes by the oil filter. They look like this:



      You don't need a t-fitting, unless you want to run a hobbs switch for some reason.

      Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @dr__efi
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

      "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com