Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 184

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      Location
      Ft Worth, TX
      Posts
      188
      Country Flag: United States
      It'll be a few months until I have to order the rear but I have been weighing my options. I was set on a 9 inch from Strange Engineering, but I've been doing some research on full floating setups and Strange's S60. I like the 9 inch because of the vast gear ratio options, lower pinion (for driveline angles), and the dropout third member. However, it is hard to ignore the $500 price difference with the S60. Reading up on full-floating setups also opened up a whole other can of worms. Moser's setup looks nice, but I'm not a big fan of the brake options available. Basically I have it narrowed down to three choices and I would like some advice from people who have more experience than I do (that would be the vast majority of y'all haha)

      1. Strange S60. Fully assembled, 35 spline axles, trac-loc differential, 3.73s (I prefer 3.89s but they aren't available with the S60) $2000



      2. 9 inch (Semi-floating) Strange housing with GM ends (to reuse my Fourth-Gen Camaro brakes), Strange axles, and Strange third member $2500

      3. 9 inch (Full-floating) Moser circle track housing and axle package, Strange third member, Wilwood brake setup. I would use Wilwood's spot parking brake calipers which limit me to a .81" thick rotor. Ideally, I would like to use my Camaro setup but I just don't see a way of doing that with a full floating rear. From what I've seen, I like Strange's housings better than Moser's but their full-floating setup, while nicer, is WAY more expensive. $2800

      Honestly, I don't really need any of these setups but I would like to get something that my drivetrain can grow into. I have to weld on the brackets for the coilover setup so I don't want to butch my 12 bolt just to turn around and sell it once it gets outgrown. I'm upgrading my drivetrain from the rear to front so that I don't have to worry about blowing anything up haha. Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
      1970 Chevelle: 6.0 L96, T56, Strange 9 Inch, Ridetech Coilovers, Wilwood brakes

      1978 Firebird: 6.0 LQ4, T56

      2007 Sierra 2500HD LBZ



    2. #2
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      2,665
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by David LaBuda View Post
      It'll be a few months until I have to order the rear but I have been weighing my options. I was set on a 9 inch from Strange Engineering, but I've been doing some research on full floating setups and Strange's S60. I like the 9 inch because of the vast gear ratio options, lower pinion (for driveline angles), and the dropout third member. However, it is hard to ignore the $500 price difference with the S60. Reading up on full-floating setups also opened up a whole other can of worms. Moser's setup looks nice, but I'm not a big fan of the brake options available. Basically I have it narrowed down to three choices and I would like some advice from people who have more experience than I do (that would be the vast majority of y'all haha)

      1. Strange S60. Fully assembled, 35 spline axles, trac-loc differential, 3.73s (I prefer 3.89s but they aren't available with the S60) $2000

      2. 9 inch (Semi-floating) Strange housing with GM ends (to reuse my Fourth-Gen Camaro brakes), Strange axles, and Strange third member $2500

      3. 9 inch (Full-floating) Moser circle track housing and axle package, Strange third member, Wilwood brake setup. I would use Wilwood's spot parking brake calipers which limit me to a .81" thick rotor. Ideally, I would like to use my Camaro setup but I just don't see a way of doing that with a full floating rear. From what I've seen, I like Strange's housings better than Moser's but their full-floating setup, while nicer, is WAY more expensive. $2800

      Honestly, I don't really need any of these setups but I would like to get something that my drivetrain can grow into. I have to weld on the brackets for the coilover setup so I don't want to butch my 12 bolt just to turn around and sell it once it gets outgrown. I'm upgrading my drivetrain from the rear to front so that I don't have to worry about blowing anything up haha. Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
      Check out this thread where Ron Schwartz put a Baer rear setup on a floater. You can see where it appears he was able to use a setup with parking brake in hat and welded a flange he made to the housing. This allowed him to bolt a backing plate where a floater normally would not permit.

      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ear-axle/page2

      You could use your Camaro setup and order some rotors that fit your application.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

      Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Forgeline, Speedtech, ATS, Speartech, KORE3, Ridetech coilovers

      Project Motor City Madness




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com