Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
    Results 21 to 40 of 902

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Camas, WA
      Posts
      640
      Country Flag: United States

      1968 Volvo project Pure Volvocity

      I am stuck at work waiting for a client to arrive. About 30 minutes ago I could see them shining through the tinted windows of my SUV while sitting at my desk. It was torture!



    2. #2
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      London, Ontario
      Posts
      294
      Wow, I don't think I've ever seen one of those that solid, even in the 80's they were rotten around here. Awesome build!!

      73 Maverick Grabber Project

      My never ending project:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...hlight=grabber

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Camas, WA
      Posts
      640
      Country Flag: United States
      Well I was a little conservative with the wheels on the rear. I don't mind where the outside of the tire is but I have about an extra inch on the inside I should have used up. I think I could have put on 10" wide wheels and about a 295 tire. Oh well.

      The front are really close. I could have done about 1/4" less back spacing there. The car is about an inch high in the back but will settle with more weight in the car. The front is about 2-3" higher than the end rise height. Overall I think they hit the bulls eye!

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      Posts
      6
      Country Flag: United States
      I really like your build on the 1800. I have a 71 1800e and a 73 es. I plan on doing the same build on my es, but I am thinking about using either a Volvo 2300 turbo 4 cyl. or Ford 2.3 turbo 4 cyl. What do you think?

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Camas, WA
      Posts
      640
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by ncsurfer View Post
      I really like your build on the 1800. I have a 71 1800e and a 73 es. I plan on doing the same build on my es, but I am thinking about using either a Volvo 2300 turbo 4 cyl. or Ford 2.3 turbo 4 cyl. What do you think?
      I considered the 2.3L Ford for my car. It seems like they have great aftermarket support and make great power. I don't know much abou the Volvo engine and would tend to steer away from it for that reason. I have seen a guy local to me with the Ford turbo in a classic Mustang. Very clean and sanitary but makes very respecable power. I am a little tired of dealing with forced induction. I ended up spending MUCH more money on my Mustang because of the blower. I just want to drive the volvo and not have so much stuff to worry about. Does that mean I am getting old? LOL!

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      Posts
      6
      Country Flag: United States
      LOL.... You are never too old. I am 65, workout 4-5 days a week and can outlast most of my 30 something friends surfing(notice I didn't say I could out surf them)..... Plus, I can't believe I am taking on a project like this at 65, but I am going for it. I guess this is part of my bucket list....lol! I just think that with the 2.3 Ford engine, I can buy a Tbird 2.3 ltr Turbo Coupe with a 5 speed and have a great running gear combo with good power that is not too heavy for the 1800ES. Thanks for your feedback.....

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Location
      McKinney, TX
      Posts
      1,623
      Country Flag: United States
      Looks good. So flares are next?
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Camas, WA
      Posts
      640
      Country Flag: United States
      Next will be knee surgery. :(

      When I get past that and back into the garage will be the LS engine and transmission. I will have to get those so I can modify the firewall and trans tunnel.

      I am not the best body guy so I will likely leave the flares to the body man. He is an artist and puts out some great products.

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Location
      Houston, TX
      Posts
      1,197
      Country Flag: United States
      Neat project. I've always liked the lines of P1800s (coupe or wagon), just was never able to find a clean/cheap enough one to work on.

      Also, nice Mustang you have there. I remembered drooling over that one at one of the car shows in Vancouver.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Posts
      2
      Glad to see you're still working on the car!

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Camas, WA
      Posts
      640
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by daemon2 View Post
      Glad to see you're still working on the car!
      Do have a build thread on here? I noticed you don't go back to Swedespeed anymore.

      Not much of an update at this point. I am removing the firewall and will work on that tomorrow. I would like to use the original placement of the steering column but updated with a Ididit column. I will do some trimming and welding this weekend to see if my plan is viable. I will also be test fitting the Wilwood pedal assembly. That is if the Superbowl doesn't distract me. LOL!

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Camas, WA
      Posts
      640
      Country Flag: United States

      1968 Volvo project Pure Volvocity

      I picked up some seats today. They are Recaro seats from an E21 BMW. Looks like they'll need covers but to be in great shape other than that. I paid $225 for them. I will need to get some sliders and brackets for them. I will likely go to Wedge for those unless someone here has another suggestion.

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      Posts
      6
      Country Flag: United States
      I am interested to see how they fit in the 1800.

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      Location
      Escondido CA
      Posts
      493
      Country Flag: United States
      Great project, absolutely love these Volovos with an LS motor. That being said, you may find an LS2/3 is plenty of power considering the weight/tire you have. Unless of course, uncontrolled wheel spin is really the goal...

      1973 Corvette Factory Primer Car
      1969 Barracuda Convertible
      1967 Plymouth Valiant

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Camas, WA
      Posts
      640
      Country Flag: United States

      1968 Volvo project Pure Volvocity

      I'm making a little progress on the firewall. I've got the majority of it cut back to the vertical section of the battery box. I narrowed the pedal assembly by 2 inches and have mocked in the steering column. I will be using an Ididit column. I need to double check some measurements before welding everything together. I won't be able to do the new transmission tunnel until I get the engine and transmission in. I hope to get the engine by the end of April. I need to make sure the IRS is happy before I buy that.

      I had to modify my plans for my pedal assembly. I originally planned to use a Wilwood pedal assembly but I ran into interference problems with the master cylinders. I will be using the original pedal but I will be converting it to a hydroboost system. I plan on retrofitting a hydroboost system from a Chevy Astro van. It should be here in the next few days and then I'll be able to do a little bit more mocking and hopefully welding.

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Camas, WA
      Posts
      640
      Country Flag: United States

      1968 Volvo project Pure Volvocity

      I got a little bit more work done to the firewall today. I don't think I'll be able to do much more until I get my engine and transmission though. I also plan to work on putting in my hydroboost in this weekend.

      My Budnik steering wheel finally arrived today!

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Madill Oklahoma
      Posts
      221
      Country Flag: United States
      Darreld. that looks pretty sharp, and looks like you have it tackled in a very sensible way.. The steering column fits very nicely in the Volvo dash, and looks like you have it all setup in the right position..

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Camas, WA
      Posts
      640
      Country Flag: United States

      1968 Volvo project Pure Volvocity

      Thanks Robert. I have a 13.5" steering wheel and almost wish I went with a 15". The gauges may be a little hard to see . The seats are not mounted yet so it is hard to tell right now.

      I got a bit more done today. The hydroboost is fitted, some more smoothing, grinding and welding. I still need to fill the holes for the original coil and an old heater related hole on the top. The hydroboost should clear the engine but I am not going to do anything else until I have the engine in place.

      I have to wait until I figure out my tax liability before I buy the engine. Once that is done I will pick up the engine. I have to have my ACL and meniscus repaired on Thursday so I will be out of commission for a little while.


    19. #19
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Camas, WA
      Posts
      640
      Country Flag: United States
      I haven't been able to do much lately. I had an ACL reconstruction surgery two weeks ago and am still pretty sore. I did make it into the garage last night for the first time and put new webbing in the Recaro seats I picked up. But the good news is I finally have an engine lined up. I will be picking up the engine Jason had for sale in the classified section. https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...L92-LS3-Engine It is a little more powerful than I originally planned but it sure will be fun! By the time it gets here I should be well enough to put it in. I also paid for my radiator and headers from Iamtheonlyreal1 and hope they will show up by the time the engine gets here.

    20. #20
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Camas, WA
      Posts
      640
      Country Flag: United States
      A little update. I am healing well from my surgery and am able to spend a little time in the garage again. I have rebuilt the seat bottoms of my Recaro seats using a repair kit from http://www.2002parts.com/bmw/recaro-seat-parts.html. I also purchased some Recarro seat sliders a seat mounting brackets from Wedge Engineering. http://www.wedgeengineering.net/OurS...6/Default.aspx Both places are good to work with and provided great service and products. I ran into a problem with my steeriing wheel location though. When I mocked in the column I had the seats too low and now the steering wheel interferes with reading the gauges. I will have to drop the column down on the engine side a couple inches. Not a big deal but I just have to redo some of the work. Oh well.

      I have the engine on the way and am almost ready for fitting. I will borrow an empty transmission case for mocking up my firewall and transmission tunnel. My transmission won't be ready for a little while. I purchased a set of headers and radiator from Robert Jackson (iamtheonlyreal1). We are waiting on Sanderson headers to finish them up though. When they come in I should be ready to set the engine in place. After the engine gets set in place I will start to deal with the fuel system, heater/AC and wiring. I hope to have it ready for the body shop by fall.

    Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com