Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 6 of 6

    Thread: best 4L80E?

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Location
      Santa Barbara, Ca
      Posts
      1,174

      best 4L80E?

      I'm looking into getting rid of the tremec TKO in my '68 Camaro in favor of a 4L80E and shrifter. I've been checking out my options. I'd like to go with a reputable manufacturer (TCI or Hughes maybe?). I plan to put this transmission behind a procharged 383. Suggestions, anyone?
      -Andy



    2. #2
      Join Date
      Nov 2004
      Location
      Roanoke, VA
      Posts
      515
      The fastest full size 4x4 LS1 powered chevy truck runs a level 5 80E from these guys.
      https://www.flp2win.com/store/transmission.php

      To see what kind of power he's making as well as what kind of weight he's having to accellerate you might look over this page he put togeather.
      http://www.neufamily.org/4l80e/4l80swap.html

      While I dont know the ppl at finish line myself I have been in contact with the truck owner (nice guy BTW) and he speaks highly of them.

      HTH
      GMC Syclone (currently wrecked thanks to the typical rubber headed VA driver not paying attention to his red stop light...oh and he didnt have insurance either)
      #614 11.9 @ 113
      New stuff finished 08/06:
      4L80E trans w/TCI PCM
      Front: J&S UCA/LCA, QA1 coil overs
      Rear: Caltracks/Belltech drop leaves
      Empire drive line alum drive shaft
      Polished 17x9 F/17x11 R ZR1s with 275s/315s
      Syclone
      Tow rig

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jan 2003
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      5,394
      Country Flag: United States
      Hughes is a good choice as well.

      These guys do a good job of explaining their internals.

      http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L80E.htm
      ________________
      Steve Chryssos

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
      Posts
      1,364
      Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by myclone
      The fastest full size 4x4 LS1 powered chevy truck runs a level 5 80E from these guys.
      https://www.flp2win.com/store/transmission.php
      HTH
      Its actually a 2003 6.0L LQ4. But non-the-less you can call it an LS1 if you want...

      -Matt
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Location
      Santa Barbara, Ca
      Posts
      1,174
      I am leaning towards either TCI or Hughes, mainly because they are well established companies with good reputations. I have ridden in cars with TCI streetfighter transmissions, and was impressed. I haven't had any personal experience with Hughes, but I've heard good things. The Hughes 4L80E is a few hundred $$$ more than the TCI, which isn't a big deal to me. I just need something that is going to take some abuse. Anyone out there have experience with either transmission, good or bad?

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Jan 2003
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      5,394
      Country Flag: United States
      If you want, call them both up with the below list in hand and ask what parts are upgraded. The choose the better value. You are basically buying a TH400 with overdrive so you should be pretty safe from a reliability standpoint. So if the components are identical, go with the brand that you feel comfortable with.

      What parts are upgraded?
      -clutches
      -steels
      -shift kit
      -Kevlar band
      -maybe intermediate sprag upgrade
      -Input shaft (not likely)
      ________________
      Steve Chryssos




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com