Results 1 to 5 of 5
Thread: 69 Open Road Racer
-
08-27-2008 #1
Registered User
- Join Date
- Aug 2008
- Location
- Austin, Texas
- Posts
- 11
69 Open Road Racer
Hey folks,
I've been cruising this site for quite some time. I have been a Camaroholic or had compulsive Camaro disorder all my life. After 6 69s I was kind of loosing the drive. In the mid 90s I bought my 96 SS after a few mods I began to loose the drive with it. Bolt-ons just didn't do the trick. One day at work a couple of guys were talking about the Big Bend Open Road Race (www.bborr.com). Now this sounded like something I could build a car for. I took one of my remaining 2 69s and began the trip. I got through the Detroit Speed coil over conversion the mini-tub and started dropping in the original drive train from the 96 when I found out that I would have to do rookie qualification. The wife and I took the 96 to Fort Stockton this last April to get our feet wet. We entered in the 105mph class. This didn't require a cage so it seemed to be a reasonable place to start. Knowing I would be running the 69 in a much faster class I was able to get a lot of information from the old pros that were at the race. It was pretty cool. One day of rookie school and qualification, one day of practice, then it was off to the race. We managed a second place in our class with an average speed of 105.023mph. This is 2 60 mile legs averaged. But seeing the big guys run made me want to get the Pro-Touring 69 out there for sure. Here's a pic of the 96 setting in line on race day.
Waiting in line for practice:
Enough with the late model stuff. I will post the 69 build real soon. Brown Santa just brought my Budnick Tiller 5 wheels. I mounted some BFG KDW IIs and am waiting patiently for my ATS spindles to arrive. I hope to have the build complete before next Aprils race. a quick teaser of the Tiller 5s.
With the LT1 and T56 I will have lots of questions for you guys.
Sorry so long winded.
Jeff
-
08-27-2008 #2Cool! Congrats on the 2nd place finish. Pretty good for the first time out.
Oh, welcome to the site.Mark
LS1- T56
under construction
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
08-29-2008 #3
Registered User
- Join Date
- Jan 2008
- Posts
- 186
Calling Dr. Bombay!
"Compulsive Camaro Disorder" (CCD). Ohhhhh...so thats what I probably have.
It's really contageous! LOL. Great project and welcome.
04-18-2009 #4
Registered User
- Join Date
- Aug 2008
- Location
- Austin, Texas
- Posts
- 11
Well its that time of year allready. Next week is the Big Bend Open Road Race and I didn't quit get the 69 ready. We got all of the fab work done the cage is in the Kirkey seats, the drive train, exhaust, all I need now is the fuel, brakes, and wiring and then its off to paint. Here's a couple of pics before we took it up to the paint shop.


Now for the race it looks like its the 96 moving up to the 120 class. I added a harness bar and some race seats but I think this is as fast as this one will go. Looks like it will be next year for the 69.
Jeff
04-18-2009 #5



Reply With Quote