Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 2412

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Posts
      41
      Cool thread, I love the idea of seeing how far you can get for $5000. Are you going to try to do body and paint within that price, or are you just aiming for a complete drivable vehicle. That year of Mustang is one of my favorite body styles, it sounds like you are off to a good start. I think if it was me I might try to sell the 4.6 and look for an old ford truck (mid to late 70's) with a 390ci, yank that out then part out the rest on ebay. With a little luck you might get enough to cover a rebuild kit. That might not reach your 400hp goal, but they definately had lots of torque. Like I said before I think this is a great project just to see what is possible...if a guy can trade his way up to a house by starting with a paper-clip, who knows how far you might get. Best of luck!



    2. #2
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      A gallon of bondo is cheap,I've got some old paint around from previous projects,maybe I can come up with enough to squirt it.I really want to stay with EFI on the engine.I've got a bunch of computers and wiring laying around for the LS1 stuff,enough to make it run anyway.I would rather keep it all Ford,I just don't know anyway to get a 4.6 to 400HP without spending a pile of cash,I'm open to suggestions though.I guess the budget is going to win out in the end.Ron

    3. #3
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Location
      Chicago Area
      Posts
      179


      Look on Ebay for a 5.3L setup with a 4L60e or T-56.
      I think Ford's motors suck personally. Took them all the way til 2005
      to finally get a NA 300hp......that's embarrassing when LS1's
      had almost 350hp back in Fbody's in 1998. (underrated)

      Like ya said, it's already got a C5 suspension in it, so it's already *******ized a lil bit.
      Unless you plan on ripping it out to go ALL original and sell it for some big dough,
      Put a real motor in it.

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      12
      Quote Originally Posted by Aceshigh


      Look on Ebay for a 5.3L setup with a 4L60e or T-56.
      I think Ford's motors suck personally. Took them all the way til 2005
      to finally get a NA 300hp......that's embarrassing when LS1's
      had almost 350hp back in Fbody's in 1998. (underrated)

      Like ya said, it's already got a C5 suspension in it, so it's already *******ized a lil bit.
      Unless you plan on ripping it out to go ALL original and sell it for some big dough,
      Put a real motor in it.
      Whatever...No one bought them! thats why Chevy cancelled the those things! I have Chevy guys calling me to buy my 88 LX to put there Chevy motor in it, people love em.
      Chevy has always had more HP than Ford, it doesn't matter, I think Ford outsold FBody 3 to 1.
      Since the aftermarkettook to the 5.0 like a fish to water. There are as many head choices as there are for a small block chevy. Actually you can make more cu in with a strked 351 Ford than a 350 chevy!

      The car looks great, that engine can't be cheap though.

      Good luck
      Ken
      Rock & Roll!

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      Picked up a ls1 longblock in peices for $300,c5 mounts$100,traded f body oil pan for vette pan and vette assesories.cam $329,valve springs $170.Head gaskets and bolts$100.Thats about $1000 out of pocket.I have several PCM's that I had tuned when I ran the Hemi in my Cuda off LS1 stuff http://mysite.verizon.net/ls6ron/ I have lots of misc. LS1 parts already. Also have a 68 Camaro with a LS1.I'm real familiar with that system and have done at least 10 of the harnesses now.I see no reason i can't get to 400 RWHP.The real problem is a trans that will hold up, on the cheap.Ron

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      12
      Quote Originally Posted by 57hemicuda
      Picked up a ls1 longblock in peices for $300,c5 mounts$100,traded f body oil pan for vette pan and vette assesories.cam $329,valve springs $170.Head gaskets and bolts$100.Thats about $1000 out of pocket.I have several PCM's that I had tuned when I ran the Hemi in my Cuda off LS1 stuff http://mysite.verizon.net/ls6ron/ I have lots of misc. LS1 parts already. Also have a 68 Camaro with a LS1.I'm real familiar with that system and have done at least 10 of the harnesses now.I see no reason i can't get to 400 RWHP.The real problem is a trans that will hold up, on the cheap.Ron
      After looking at your Cuda, that Mustang should have a good life. That Cuda is awesome looking.

      Ken
      Rock & Roll!

    7. #7
      Join Date
      May 2004
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      864
      Country Flag: United States
      The LS1 is tempting...from a budget and hp perspective it is the obvious answer. Throw in the EFI mandate and the fact that you already have LS1 stuff and now it is really a no brainer.

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Feb 2006
      Location
      Brampton, Ontario, CANADA !!
      Posts
      347
      If you want to keep it Ford powered, and get 280 rwhp on a budget, just start with a 5.0 pushrod engine. Lots of cheap new and used speed parts out there. With decent heads and cam, that power level is easily surpassed.


      cheers
      Ed N.
      Ed Nicholson
      73 VW Super Beetle "Sports Bug"
      95 Taurus SHO 5-speed -- new open-track beater

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      I don't know alot about Ford stuff,that is really my problem,but to get to 400 Hp,I think you would have to spend more then $1500.even with a 5.0. I can pick up a 6.0 truck motor and put a used cam and intake on it and hit that mark within my budget,but I don't have a trans.the trans will get the budget back out of whack.My only hope is that I could sell the 4.6 and 5speed and make enough to buy a motor,then I could swing a trans in the budget.Quite a delema.Ron

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Location
      Dayton Ohio
      Posts
      1,283
      Quote Originally Posted by 57hemicuda
      A gallon of bondo is cheap,I've got some old paint around from previous projects,maybe I can come up with enough to squirt it.I really want to stay with EFI on the engine.I've got a bunch of computers and wiring laying around for the LS1 stuff,enough to make it run anyway.I would rather keep it all Ford,I just don't know anyway to get a 4.6 to 400HP without spending a pile of cash,I'm open to suggestions though.I guess the budget is going to win out in the end.Ron

      no bondo please if you use filler get some rage thats some good stuff along with duraglass




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com