Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 69 of 112 FirstFirst ... 19 59 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 79 ... LastLast
    Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 2412

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Nov 2002
      Location
      state of confusion
      Posts
      1,499
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
      The brake duct/lower grill isn't finished yet, finished trimming, and welding tonight.

      The exhaust had this resination at about 3000 rpm, I assume it was from the way I mounted the mufflers. Everything was in such tight quarters(as I'm sure your real familiar with) that when I mounted the mufflers, I welded three little mounting tabs to the frame, and 3 to mufflers. I used the little exhaust hangers that look almost like a shock bushing. I guess it was kinda rigid, because the front bushing kind fell apart, and started this ratting, that drove me up the wall. I'm hoping the flex in there will correct this issue. Only time will tell.

      I think as long as the flex sections have more than enough "flex" to accommodate engine/transmission rocking and chassis flex, you'll be OK. There doesn't look like there's a huge amount of clearance between the muffler inlet pipe and the hole cut in that frame tube, so I can see where looseness at the front of the muffler would make for a rattle.

      You'll also relieve fore/aft loads and lateral pipe displacement caused by exhaust pipe expansion - I'll bet it wants to grow quite a bit during a track session, and if it can't grow rearward it'll "pop out" of its cold shape either laterally or vertically. If it's mostly quiet just cruising around on a cold day and noisy out on the track or when driven hard, this is the likely reason.




      You may or may not fix the resonance. That's a function of the lengths between changes in exhaust system cross section. Sometimes a drone where the two pipes get to resonating in phase with each other can be reduced or eliminated by making the right side and left side exhaust lines slightly different length ahead of the mufflers. The flex sections will at least shift the frequency that the pipes as a whole will want to buzz at.


      Norm
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Location
      Out in El Paso, TX
      Posts
      190
      Very awesome car bro. We have alot of the same tastes/ideas. Keep up the great work
      low is all I know..

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Apr 2006
      Location
      Atlanta GA
      Posts
      7,477
      that exhaust looks sweet Ron!

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      The City of Fountains
      Posts
      16,125
      Country Flag: United States
      Hey Ron,

      It's great that you like the trans. The LS7 clutch is very heavy. The lighter you make the flywheel/clutch assembly, the faster and smoother your shifts will be. When I had the Liberty T56 in my RX7 I was using a Quarter Master flywheel and a single disk 8.5" clutch. The flywheel and clutch assembly were under 20 pounds, combined. That combo really made a difference in shift speed and quality.

      Since this is the $5000 build thread, you can dream about a 3 disk carbon/carbon clutch setup with a reverse mount bellhousing. You did say $5000 per major component, right? :-)

      Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 03-07-2011 at 10:12 AM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @dr__efi
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

      "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      Getting that LS7 clutch shimmed right, and the pedal stop adjusted was a PITA, but now that its done, it shifts great. This engine revs so quickly anyway, I don't know if I would really want the thing to wing any faster. And your right, those 2 and 3 disc setups cost way too much.

      Did you get your trans. back in yet Andrew? I know it broke, but how do you ike it? Was that the same trans you had behind the big block?
      Ron Schwarz

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Apr 2001
      Location
      The City of Fountains
      Posts
      16,125
      Country Flag: United States
      I hear what you are saying about revving fast. The LS6 in my RX7 revved so fast that the stock belt tentioner couldn't control the belt well. I would throw a belt on occasion. PM sent.

      Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @dr__efi
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

      "You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Mountain View, CA
      Posts
      9,583
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I hear what you are saying about revving fast. The LS6 in my RX7 revved so fast that the stock belt tentioner couldn't control the belt well. I would throw a belt on occasion. PM sent.

      Andrew
      That was a neat car.
      True T.

      Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?


      Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

      My blog

      When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      Finally finished the lower grill, brake ducts. Put the race mesh in the center to match the grill, the turned out OK, but I wish I could produce these parts out of carbon fiber, would be alot lighter.








      Ron Schwarz

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Kalamazoo, MI
      Posts
      144
      Lots of great info and ideas on this thread! Love the car!
      1969 Pontiac GTO
      -The Nameless project.

      0331, USMC, Semper Fi.

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Where the hosers are.
      Posts
      201
      I like those ducts.
      1973 Datsun 240 Z
      2.8L Turbocharged and Injected, WIP.

      DIY Fuel injection forums and information

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Charlotte
      Posts
      1,295
      Get some CF, resin, and a vaccum bag??
      2005 LeMans Blue Corvette w/ T56 & Z51 & C6Z06 Brakes, Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?64496
      2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY / Allison
      2014 Chevy SS LS3 / 4 Door

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Location
      san diego
      Posts
      5,101
      Country Flag: United States
      Ron,

      CF is not that hard to make, unless you need ultimate strength and/or a perfect finish.

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Oct 2004
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      795
      Dude, that is going to be killer in there.

      Tell me you did not cut that board just for place to take a picture. LOL

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Payton King View Post
      Dude, that is going to be killer in there.

      Tell me you did not cut that board just for place to take a picture. LOL
      No Payton, that is the stuff my contractor has set up in the basement. I'm sure he wouldn't mind me using it.
      Ron Schwarz

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Mountain View, CA
      Posts
      9,583
      Country Flag: United States
      Looks great Ron. Has the gears turning for a couple things on my car. How did you affix the mesh?
      True T.

      Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?


      Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

      My blog

      When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Damn True View Post
      Looks great Ron. Has the gears turning for a couple things on my car. How did you affix the mesh?
      Its pinched in between a 1" aluminum flat bar, and the framing, and held together with rivets. The hard part True, is building a wooden buck to hammer the mesh over. These weren't that bad to make, the side vents on the car were a PITA though.
      Ron Schwarz

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Location
      Apex, NC
      Posts
      1,020
      Country Flag: United States
      I am in the Baltimore area at least once a month for work.....do you offer tours? :-)

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Crestronwizard View Post
      I am in the Baltimore area at least once a month for work.....do you offer tours? :-)
      I work in Bmore, but live at the MD./PA. line.
      Ron Schwarz

    19. #19
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      1,863
      Country Flag: United States
      Watching that show last night motivated me to finish this lower grill/brake ducts. I kind of liked the thing without the splitter, but its growing on me with it. If the weather holds out, I plan on hitting the drag strip next Sat., interested to see what kind of quarter mile times this thing runs.





      Ron Schwarz

    20. #20
      Join Date
      Nov 2005
      Location
      livermore ca
      Posts
      718
      looking good! is that a little nova under the cover?
      https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=22724

      65ss chevelle
      95 lt1 LE2 heads gm847 cam, 1.6 gold sereis roller rockers,52mm tb,37lb racetronix injectors. hooker headers

      63ss nova
      350:cam headers,roller rockers.pete jackson gear drive,
      th350 shift kit 3,500 stall
      3:73

      **Drive it like you stole it!!

    Page 69 of 112 FirstFirst ... 19 59 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 79 ... LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com