Results 1 to 18 of 18
Thread: Pontiac 455 + 4L80E = ???
-
05-12-2006 #1
Registered User
- Join Date
- Apr 2006
- Posts
- 32
Pontiac 455 + 4L80E = ???
I am retrofitting a 4L80E transmission into my 1971 Firebird. Almost everything is ready to go, I just have a few questions I am hoping a transmission guru can answer for me.
1. Where can I find a flexplate that will fit on my Pontiac 455 engine, and mate up with the torque converter? The stock flexplate has only 3 mounting holes, and the 4L80E requires 6.
2. Will a factory stock 3 speed shifter still physically work with the 4 speed transmission or will I need to buy one designed for a 4 speed?
3. Is the slip yoke for a 4L80E the same as a slip yoke for a TH400?
-
05-12-2006 #2
Try "Shiftworks" for a detent kit that will allow the proper operation of your shifter with a 480LE.
-
05-12-2006 #3
Registered User
- Join Date
- Apr 2006
- Posts
- 32
Thanks for the suggestion, I never thought about modifying the shifter I have, but it looks like that may work well.
05-13-2006 #4Hmmmm....flywheel....opps.....forgot about that....better get on that little problem!!
I'll let you know what I find.
I have a 71 455 and 4L80E going into Eternity for the Power Tour. It's always the little things that screw up the completion schedule!
Thanks for mentioning this potential stumbling block!Kevin.
69 Firebird "Eternity"
05-13-2006 #5See this thread...... https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ghlight=bowler
Originally Posted by Jagarang
I called Bowler Transmission, as suggested by Steve, and told them what I was doing and purchased their kit. I know that the tranny is mounted and in the car right now, but it's just for mock up. I'm not sure the flywheel and starter are in yet. I'll call Frank later today after he wakes up to ask about the "completeness" of what we got from Bowler is and get back to you. I hate to bother him "off hours" but this sound like a potential quagmire or trouble on the kind a schedule were on.
Maybe he'll read this post and I won't have to call him! I have my call quote to worry about! If he calls me, that a different story!LOL
Call me Frank....heheheheLast edited by Jagarang; 05-13-2006 at 04:14 AM.
Kevin.
69 Firebird "Eternity"
10-25-2006 #6
Registered User
- Join Date
- Apr 2006
- Posts
- 32
I have now installed the 4L80E in my 1971 Firebird, and everything is working great. Thank you to everyone on the board who helped me with the project!
I just have one more question, it seems that the shop that rebuilt the transmission felt it wise to install a high capacity transmission pan; which would have been fine, but there isn’t enough ground clearance to allow such a deep pan on the Firebird. Does anyone know where I can get a stock, or even shallower pan? It seems everywhere on-line that sells pans for the 4L80E are selling high-capacity versions.
10-26-2006 #7



Reply With Quote