Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

BostonHotRods 1956 Bel Air build: Project Daisy

What is it:
      1956 Chevy Bel Air 2 door hardtop. One owner car, found and purchased locally. The seller's grandmother purchased it new and it had remained in the family. In theory, it was a survivor car, two paint jobs, no accidents, and all or nearly all original.

What I'm doing with it:
      I drove it for a year and enjoyed it with the family, but it's now time to put it under the knife. I'm planning on turning this into a 3 season daily driver (or nearly daily as I don't commute). Classic styling, all modern comforts. All the good stuff that makes it more than the sum of it's parts.

I'm also "attempting" to get my kids involved with the project and learn a little bit about how cars are put together while also making some memories. As part of the incentive, I told them I would video parts of the build and post it to YouTube for them if they participate. We'll see if my bribe works or not.

Here's the car as of the last day of 2020 when I drove it into the shop:

Disassembly goes pretty quickly:

60 year old wiring, no thank you:

Pretty interesting to see how tech has changed over the years. 6 fuses for an entire car. Fuse block:

Body just about ready to come off:

Lots of interest oddly in the Chassis/Engine/Trans. I sold it locally in under 24hrs which really surprised me:

Body off to Media Blasting today:
      ~Ryan

Country Flag: United States
      What a pretty car, it looks good in paint. I hope it's as good as it looks. Good luck with the Bribery. lol
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Great idea to involve the kiddos!
      Nice Garage btw!
      Funny the original angle of the Driveshaft.
      Good luck with the build!!!

Part 2. Back from media blasting and epoxy primer.

~Ryan

Kinda sad to see that one come apart. Looked like a gem. I hope you can replicate the original wheels. Always hate to see classic cars with big rims. What color will it be?

Great project with the kids! Love the videos and you'll cherish them forever! Cool that your bride is running the camera too! Whole family is involved... love it!

And I'm having insane garage envy!
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

What type of flooring is that? Assuming it’s some type of vinyl, but man does it look like real wood in the pictures.

Thanks guys.

Lots of parts ordering going on this month. Rs Chassis, Wegner LS street motor, Bowler trans, rick's tank, HotrodDynamics firewall/tunnel/wiper kit, ididit column, bear brakes, C&R making up a custom cooling stack for me, restomod air, and more.

Wheels: looking at Schott's in 19/20" at the moment with 335's on the rear. Wheels/tires will probably be one of the later decisions to make.
      Both my girls are asking to learn to weld now, so this should be a fun next few months with them helping out.
      Flooring in the garage: ceramic tile (PEI 4 if I recall correctly) with epoxy grout. Redgard under the entire floor, expansion joints lined up with the grout lines, and tiles set with zero air pockets in the mortar. It's been bullet proof since 2018. It doesn't like plasma slag so I thrown down a cheap HF welding blanket, but beyond that it takes all the abuse I can throw at it. My main house garage has 100% epoxy solids (full top of the line 3-layer system) and it looks like crap after 6yrs of normal New England winters. Clear coat wearing off in high traffic areas, lots of small chips from dropping tools, yellowing around garage doors from the sun. Wish I would have done tile there too.
      ~Ryan

Part 3 is up. Working on metal work as I wait for all these parts (mostly chassis/motor/fuel tank) to arrive.

~Ryan

Great build!

Andrew

1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Awesome build! Following and just about the same spot. Keep up the good work!!

Chassis showed up yesterday. Just waiting on the motor now.

~Ryan

Great car, great job, and Great music to paint by. WZLX? Thanks for keeping us updated.
      Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      Great car, great job, and Great music to paint by. WZLX? Thanks for keeping us updated.
      Thanks. WZLX is on a lot, but in the garage I usually stream my own playlists from Amazon via Sonos. No commercials ;)
      ~Ryan

Looking good Duke!

Yea, this should do the trick...

~Ryan

WOW now those are some sweet numbers! Very nice.
      Wayne

Awesome build! I’ll be following!

Wow! That thing is a beast. I can barely control 600 HP on the track let alone 1000 HP! Buckle up and hold on... it will be a spirited ride!
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

Cool project and love the garage as well.
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com