Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 119

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      Omaha, NE
      Posts
      54
      I do have a question for you guys. This engine will use a WRX clutch that works with the flywheel from the Subaru gears swap kit. I am trying to get some insight as to what I should look for in a clutch that is strong enough to hold around 550 crank hp and have an on/off type engagement vs having a large degree of slip.



      I have never uprgraded from a stock clutch on any of my vehicles. So I am kind of lost in all the different varieties.


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Oct 2018
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      583
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Ddkeeler View Post
      I do have a question for you guys. This engine will use a WRX clutch that works with the flywheel from the Subaru gears swap kit. I am trying to get some insight as to what I should look for in a clutch that is strong enough to hold around 550 crank hp and have an on/off type engagement vs having a large degree of slip.

      I have never uprgraded from a stock clutch on any of my vehicles. So I am kind of lost in all the different varieties.
      Outside of a pure track only car, I've avoided on/off type clutches like the plague. They are VERY tricky to drive smoothly. I just had to commit to a twin disc clutch today for my engine with about the same power level since my standard stage 1 clutch just won't last long. But I'll have an easy pedal with smooth engagement for street or track this way. The on/off clutches are typically very small in diameter attached to special lightweight flywheels to allow motorcycle-like throttle response. They don't last long with slipping either.

      What's the end goal for this car as far as where it will be used?
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      Omaha, NE
      Posts
      54
      It will do autocross and some time attack duty. Might commute to car shows with it. Very little city driving.

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Location
      Saginaw Mi
      Posts
      94
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Ddkeeler View Post
      I do have a question for you guys. This engine will use a WRX clutch that works with the flywheel from the Subaru gears swap kit. I am trying to get some insight as to what I should look for in a clutch that is strong enough to hold around 550 crank hp and have an on/off type engagement vs having a large degree of slip.

      I have never uprgraded from a stock clutch on any of my vehicles. So I am kind of lost in all the different varieties.
      Not quite sure what you mean by on/off type of clutch but i daily'd my 02 wrx for years with a puck clutch and lightened flywheel. Those can easily handle that type of power and once you get a good feel for the clutch i could take off smooth with no judder. Also i would look into swapping jdm sti gear sets or ppg gears into the wrx 5 speed, or sell it and buy the STI 6 speed. 1-2 are like glass and even with the original 4 cylinder its a guarantee they will shatter with anything over 300hp. the Stock 6 speeds are bullet proof but you will need to get STI knuckles/hubs since the axles are bigger. Awesome project by the way! this thing is going to turn out awesome.

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      Omaha, NE
      Posts
      54
      Quote Originally Posted by Shawn0331 View Post
      Not quite sure what you mean by on/off type of clutch but i daily'd my 02 wrx for years with a puck clutch and lightened flywheel. Those can easily handle that type of power and once you get a good feel for the clutch i could take off smooth with no judder. Also i would look into swapping jdm sti gear sets or ppg gears into the wrx 5 speed, or sell it and buy the STI 6 speed. 1-2 are like glass and even with the original 4 cylinder its a guarantee they will shatter with anything over 300hp. the Stock 6 speeds are bullet proof but you will need to get STI knuckles/hubs since the axles are bigger. Awesome project by the way! this thing is going to turn out awesome.
      Thank you all for the kind words. I’ll say I am little surprised there has not been any “what the hell are you doing to that car” sort of comments.

      The on/off type engagement that is an talking about is where from a stop and there is very little easing into going. I am fine with shudders and whatever come along with it. I plan on upgrading to some better gear sets. A straight cut gear set, I believe Subaru gears makes a set so I may look into that, once it is a driver. What clutch did you run?

      Until I get a hold of a large stack of cash and can afford a mendola or something this will have to suffice.

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      jacksonville,fl
      Posts
      972
      Country Flag: United States
      If you've ever seen my camaro nose el camino project which is now being widebodied along with a c-7 z06 vette rear bumper, you'd know I am in no way qualified to ask what the hell are you doing---unless I see something I can advise on. Some of us need to do a little crazy to make everyone else seem more normal.
      I though I posted something for you about clutches yesterday, think I forgot to hit enter. again. Anyway organic are your basic clutch compounds, then moving up into the metallic which may contain ceramic, Kevlar etc. The puck styles as Shawn mentioned are the less girlfriend friendly grippier types which is more of what you need. A good balanced unit against a good true flywheel driven properly won't shutter much. If available, which would be more pricey, twin or even triple disc units can offer way more grip without needing overly heavy pressure plate springs.

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      Omaha, NE
      Posts
      54
      Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      If you've ever seen my camaro nose el camino project which is now being widebodied along with a c-7 z06 vette rear bumper, you'd know I am in no way qualified to ask what the hell are you doing---unless I see something I can advise on. Some of us need to do a little crazy to make everyone else seem more normal.
      I though I posted something for you about clutches yesterday, think I forgot to hit enter. again. Anyway organic are your basic clutch compounds, then moving up into the metallic which may contain ceramic, Kevlar etc. The puck styles as Shawn mentioned are the less girlfriend friendly grippier types which is more of what you need. A good balanced unit against a good true flywheel driven properly won't shutter much. If available, which would be more pricey, twin or even triple disc units can offer way more grip without needing overly heavy pressure plate springs.
      Great info, thank you. I’ll do some digging and see what I can come up with. How accurate are the horsepower ratings that the manufacturers put on them?

      I’ll check out your build, that sounds awesome. I’m just trying to step outside of the norm. I’m trying to fabricate everything that I can vs purchasing brackets, exhaust, fuel cell etc. I have a small cnc plasma table that should help me accomplish that. I figure I can cut the cost of the build drastically this way.

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Location
      Saginaw Mi
      Posts
      94
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Ddkeeler View Post
      Thank you all for the kind words. I’ll say I am little surprised there has not been any “what the hell are you doing to that car” sort of comments.

      The on/off type engagement that is an talking about is where from a stop and there is very little easing into going. I am fine with shudders and whatever come along with it. I plan on upgrading to some better gear sets. A straight cut gear set, I believe Subaru gears makes a set so I may look into that, once it is a driver. What clutch did you run?

      Until I get a hold of a large stack of cash and can afford a mendola or something this will have to suffice.
      Perfect! you will be fine them with that setup. Mine was the Exedy 6 puck with their lightened fly wheel which was around 12 lbs. I dont remember the hp rating but it was waaaaay more than what my car needed.

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      Omaha, NE
      Posts
      54
      Quote Originally Posted by Shawn0331 View Post
      Perfect! you will be fine them with that setup. Mine was the Exedy 6 puck with their lightened fly wheel which was around 12 lbs. I dont remember the hp rating but it was waaaaay more than what my car needed.

      Something like this seems to fit what you’re describing. Based off the specs it should work. https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...isc-clutch-kit




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com