Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anyone Using Aftermarket PWM Fan Controller

Hey guys anyone using an aftermarket pwm fan controller such as Derale 16795 $150, Hayden 3655 $85, Autocool 85 $175? For these prices just seems like a no brainer as it's really simple to setup and use with single, dual fans and AC. I also found Proform 69596 which seems like a nice unit as well but not sure if you can activate fans when AC is on. I emailed their tech support team so we will see what they say but that unit is $100. Just wanted to get opinions on the aftermarket units as changing pinouts and reprogramming ECU is WAY too complicated for me.

Country Flag: United States
      I have found my DCC works perfectly
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

I have had very good luck with the Derale model you mentioned, we put them in both of our cars and it works great. We have ours hooked directly to battery so they can run after the engine shuts off for more cooling.

I also put a Painless F5 fan controller in a truck it works very nice as well.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

AutoCoolGuy

I plan to buy an AutoCool unit from Daryl. I've spoken with him on the phone about the robustness of his product after hearing many bad reviews on the Derale units. He's a very nice guy and took the time to explain some of the theory behind his designs. I'm an audiophile guy and he even sent me some alternate hook-up diagrams to minimize the electrical noise generated by the pwm circuitry.
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

I read on the autocool site about the buzzing. None of the other pwm systems mention that and no one seems to be reporting buzzing from the other systems out there. I wonder why his system generates the buzzing on some fans

Hey Joeko interested in what you decide as I've started to look at my choices for radiators, fans, controllers for my project. Also have you picked out a heat exchanger yet?

I bought the Entropy radiator and fans for auto tranny so I can hook my tr6060 in one unit. I got the Entropy only for the fact it has a lifetime warranty. I bought it through Matt’s classic bow tie they gave me a great deal. It was only like $200 more than the griffin and there’s no way I’m spending $1500 on a radiator. Heat exchanger I bought from a 13 gt500 mustang the stock unit is larger than any aftermarket unit like afco at $150 it was really a no brainer. I plan on running a 2.38 pulley so I will need the extra cooling capacity. But if you plan on running a stock setup the original hx is fine and fits well right in front of the core support on a 69 Camaro. As far as controller I really like the derale unit but there seems to be a lot of complaints about its failure so I might go with DCC or autocool just waiting on more responses. I also like the fact that I can buy the derale unit through amazon prime, if the unit fails I can exchange it no questions asked unlimited times even after years as long as they don’t change the part number lol

I went DCC because Carl at vaporworx has one and recommends it and he is someone whose opinion I value.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I have a DCC one I will sell with the LED and control knob. Worked fine, just pulled it when I decided to use the pwm built into my flexalite fans. Whatever you do, pwm is the way to go.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd71 View Post
      I have a DCC one I will sell with the LED and control knob. Worked fine, just pulled it when I decided to use the pwm built into my flexalite fans. Whatever you do, pwm is the way to go.
      Could you please post a link to those fans.

Thanks,
      Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I talked to Daryl and bought the AutoCoolGuy NB100 and connected it to my Derale dual 11" fan system on my '69 Cougar with 351 Cleveland. The controller is pretty big so I mounted it in the trunk. I'm also using a 24" wide DeWitt's aluminum radiator and correct Robertshaw high-flow thermostat and seat and Flowkooler aluminum high-flow water pump. As the heater core was leaking that was replaced along with all hoses and new cap. The inlet hose has a SS spring to avoid hose collapse under suction. After struggling with a variety of bits and pieces and overheating, the dual fan and shroud solution finally put things to bed for good. Controller ramps up fans slowly as needed and is quiet. I installed a switch for full speed override if needed but have noticed that the fans never came up to full speed while driving and crusing in MI traffic last summer.

just out of curiosity, what noticeable benefits do you guys see with pwm control over just a simple on/off relay?

in terms of load on the alternator, my AD244 alternator never drops below 14.3V even with everything on including the high speed on my Taurus fan. So if I switched to PWM, what benefit would I get?
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Quote Originally Posted by ULTM8Z View Post
      just out of curiosity, what noticeable benefits do you guys see with pwm control over just a simple on/off relay?

in terms of load on the alternator, my AD244 alternator never drops below 14.3V even with everything on including the high speed on my Taurus fan. So if I switched to PWM, what benefit would I get?
      Much quieter and presumably increased fan and alternator reliability. No relay to fail. Somewhere here there is a pic of a burned up fan relay posted by John Parsons. A bit of an eye opener for me.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Personally if fan noise is not an issue I see no reason to go to PMW. Obviously you need to have good relays but the pwm can burn up to.

hah.. I dont need a pic to show me what a melted relay looks like....I literally caught a 40amp relay on fire when it tried to keep up with the high speed setting, back when I first installed the fan... lol

but I switched to some heavy duty 75amp Bosch relays and haven't had any issue since.

so really then it sounds like its just noise reduction for the most part.
      1971 Camaro

If we are talking theory then yes they are better. In the real world if noise and inrush are not an issue the I would not bother.

I have the older SPAL unit....still works, but I think they're no longer in production...
      Have heard good things about the Derale unit from friends though.

-Rich
      '72 Camaro RS/SS350: (ZZ383-TH350) Under Construction

'88 IROC L98 (TPI 383-700R4)

'70 VW Beetle (1600cc-Auto-Stick)

'92 Camaro RS (Carbed 350-TKO)

'04 Chevy Tahoe-Daily Driver (5.3-4L60E)

'29 Ford Sedan (Carbed 350-T5 ...Grandpa's RatRod)

subscribed

69 Cougar
      Schwartz Chassis
      5.0 Coyote
      T-56 Magnum 6 Speed
      Baer Brakes

Quieter, mote consistent temperatures. I think there's probably less power draw since they rarely run at high speed plus there's none of that initial voltage spike where they kick on. Less wiring
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      mote consistent temperatures.
      Is that why the temperature gauge in the newer cars stays put? Mine is constantly moving around between the fan on and fan off temps when I'm around town or in traffic....
      1971 Camaro

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com