Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 527

    Threaded View

    1. #11
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Peoria, AZ
      Posts
      1,758
      Country Flag: United States
      Regarding Ackerman and it's effectiveness on street and on track...

      My car's Ackerman was greatly increased when I put the ATS spindles on a couple of years ago. My first road test after included a series of 35 mph off\on ramps where two 4 lane highways intersected. I'd typically take these long sweeping corners at around 80-90 mph and on this first test it was immediately apparent how much better the front end reacted mid-turn compared to before...because of the increased Ackerman. Mid turn, steady state, just the slightest input into the steering wheel resulted in immediate reaction from the front tires.

      I'm not sure what the Ackerman was on the stock spindles but with the steering arms pointed out on the ATS spindles, I now see 21 degrees on the outside tire net 27 degrees on the inside tire. This has helped EVERYWHERE and I see no ill affects street driving, autocrossing or on track days.

      The way I see it, we are already getting everything we can out of the outside front tire...so gains on the inside front tire are the only way to get more front grip. Running huge caster and Ackerman along with a large front sway bar all help to plant that inside front tire for more front grip.

      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car





    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com