Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 145

    Thread: 1979 Trans Am

    Threaded View

    1. #10
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      Posts
      1,557
      Country Flag: United States
      I suppose it's about time for an update... I haven't had the chance to be on here as much lately but I've been staying busy on the car. I've made a ton of changes in the direction that the car was originally going and the parts that are being used. The 6.0 that I originally posted on here has been traded for a freshly built 5.3 (and cash ). The plan is to drive it around NA for a year or so and then play with a small turbo or supercharger.

      Passenger side toe board and drivers side pan have been cut out and replaced. Apparently I need to take more of it in it's finished state...I'll add those later.
      Name:  IMG_3909.jpg
Views: 1759
Size:  141.0 KB

      Initial tear down
      Name:  IMG_1949.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  20.5 KB

      Pulled the original subframe off to replace it with another one that I had blasted and powdercoated. I had a ton of cleaning to do, finished welding in the bottom side of the floor pans, replaced body bushings.
      Name:  IMG_1950.jpg
Views: 1741
Size:  19.7 KB

      Mock up block on the new subframe with the the T56. I used the stock clam shell mounts along with the Holley engine and transmission mounts. Got it rolled under the car to check clearances on the factory shifter hole. I ended up cutting into the factory floor brace about an 1.5" to get everything where it worked well. Braced it all back up and she's ready to rock.
      Name:  IMG_1951.jpg
Views: 1688
Size:  18.6 KB

      And while it was in this state, I thought I might as well start cleaning up the firewall too. I sanded it down, welded in one of the DSE firewall fill plates (I can't stand completely smooth firewalls so this piece was perfect in my opinion), and painted it satin black with a matte clear over it.
      Name:  IMG_1947.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  20.3 KB
      Name:  IMG_1948.jpg
Views: 1693
Size:  20.1 KB
      Name:  DTHQ2268.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  276.3 KB



      The new engine just hanging out on the stand:
      Name:  IMG_1952.jpg
Views: 1697
Size:  18.3 KB

      and what will be controlling the new heart .
      Name:  holleyx.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  169.3 KB

      Next on the list are getting the engine and trans bolted together along with all of the Silversport hydraulics and then putting it in the car. I'm awaiting the arrival of my clutch and then it should all go together!

      *edit...I apologize for some of the small pictures and then large. Not sure what I did there lol.


      Ridetech Suspsension
      Tech Specialist
      Phone: 812.481.4734

      Project Fox
      1979 Trans Am





    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com