Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 1 to 20 of 204

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Posts
      15

      Gauge Bezel in Brushed Steel Finish

      I am really a fan of what you did with your gauge pod. I started disassembling mine yesterday and after disassembly and cleanup I have a few questions. On the metal surround that has woodgrain finish, did you remove the woodgrain vinyl before applying the brushed steel vinyl? The woodgrain vinyl appears thicker than modern wrap vinyls. My woodgrain on the gauge pod is in good condition, just wondering what you did and why. The plastic surround with the simulated texture is finished in a mate black finish, any recommendations on a rattle can product with the same color that will hold up? Last, the gauge bezels are finished in a mate dark blue grey metallic finish. Is there a rattle can product that would replicate what the factory did for these parts? For the rim of the bezels I was thinking of using a chrome silver metallic paint and a brush to try to replicate the original chrome finish. I was thinking of using the Testors Chrome Silver paint they make for models to do this.



      With a little repainting I think the gauge pod should come out similar to yours. Now my clock panel is a whole different story as the metal with the woodgrain rusted severely. I am afraid I will have to go with repop stuff for those pieces.

      Thanks,

      Alan


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      South Dakota
      Posts
      153
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Boss5Oh View Post
      I am really a fan of what you did with your gauge pod. I started disassembling mine yesterday and after disassembly and cleanup I have a few questions. On the metal surround that has woodgrain finish, did you remove the woodgrain vinyl before applying the brushed steel vinyl? The woodgrain vinyl appears thicker than modern wrap vinyls. My woodgrain on the gauge pod is in good condition, just wondering what you did and why. The plastic surround with the simulated texture is finished in a mate black finish, any recommendations on a rattle can product with the same color that will hold up? Last, the gauge bezels are finished in a mate dark blue grey metallic finish. Is there a rattle can product that would replicate what the factory did for these parts? For the rim of the bezels I was thinking of using a chrome silver metallic paint and a brush to try to replicate the original chrome finish. I was thinking of using the Testors Chrome Silver paint they make for models to do this.

      With a little repainting I think the gauge pod should come out similar to yours. Now my clock panel is a whole different story as the metal with the woodgrain rusted severely. I am afraid I will have to go with repop stuff for those pieces.

      Thanks,

      Alan

      Alan, I know there are different paint offerings from catalogs that may include the correct paint and colors to refinish the bezels. It will take some patience and probably some fine line tape masking. For my car I reused the clock metal face and reconditioned it. I removed the woodgrain and sanded down the panel to bare steel and smoothed it out with bodywork and primer because it isn't the straightest piece. I then had the metal wrap applied to that and the metal portion of the gauge cluster bezel. There are companies that restore these panels and can even vacuum plate chrome the areas outlining the gauges etc. I had painted the plastic portions of the gauge and clock bezel to match the exterior paint color of the car many years ago and so for me it was easier and relatively inexpensive to just buy new plastic bezels from Dynacorn since I am a dealer.

      Thanks
      Greg




    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com