Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Results 41 to 53 of 53
    1. #41
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      Grayslake IL
      Posts
      312
      Country Flag: United States
      So I'm at a crossroads with build here. My body guy friend cane over and saw what I did with the paint on this car...to say the least he thought it was atrocious haha. Not necessarily the color but the application. I too have been having doubts about the paint and am not as fond of the red/white/blue as I thought I would be so I come here to ask your guy's opinion because I go back and forth on the matter. Doni repaint it a different color scheme but still continue with a NASCAR theme and actually have a nice color combo and sticker it up with sponsor decals, numbers, the whole 9 yards? Or my alternative is I was thinking of just stripping all this paint and going with a simple white paint job, clean/subtle and ultimately not as crazy as this. What's your guys opinion?

      I always tell others to take the high road, that way there's more room for me on the low road

      Erik Peterson
      1986 Monte Carlo SS Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...6-Nascarlo-2-0


    2. #42
      Join Date
      Nov 2013
      Location
      sacramento/redding CA
      Posts
      14
      Country Flag: United States
      Hi i just saw your thread and have to say looks like a fun build,
      I've always loved the g-body in a nice clean white with the black cragars so i will say I'm biased. But at the end of the day what do you want? Clean subtle and maybe a little bit of a sleeper? or do you want something that's clean but also draws attention and will stand out more so?

    3. #43
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Posts
      44
      Quote Originally Posted by epeterson View Post
      So I'm at a crossroads with build here. My body guy friend cane over and saw what I did with the paint on this car...to say the least he thought it was atrocious haha. Not necessarily the color but the application. I too have been having doubts about the paint and am not as fond of the red/white/blue as I thought I would be so I come here to ask your guy's opinion because I go back and forth on the matter. Doni repaint it a different color scheme but still continue with a NASCAR theme and actually have a nice color combo and sticker it up with sponsor decals, numbers, the whole 9 yards? Or my alternative is I was thinking of just stripping all this paint and going with a simple white paint job, clean/subtle and ultimately not as crazy as this. What's your guys opinion?
      At this point, I feel like I've seen 100,000 variations of paint on Monte Carlo's...from lowriders to drag cars. Yours was certainly different. I'm not a fan of all of the decals, but I think you can still go with red, white, and blue, just maybe in smaller doses. Maybe a white car with red/blue stripes or some variation of that.



    4. #44
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      Grayslake IL
      Posts
      312
      Country Flag: United States
      Sorry for the lack of updates guys, I think its been around 2 months since I last posted progress. Been very busy prepping my 71' Chevelle for paint and sorting the mechanical's with that car. But back to the Monte!
      The entire phase 1 build of the suspension is complete!
      Here is a list of what has been added to make this car semi competent in the coming autocross season:
      Front QA1 Sway Bar
      2" Belltech drop spindles
      Wilwood Hubs with ARP wheel studs
      MOOG Balljoints
      C5 corvette front brakes with UMI adapter bracket
      1" drop springs which i had from a previous g body and have forgotten the company haha
      UMI shocks
      Flynbye stainless brake lines
      Rear QA1 sway bar
      Rear UMI shock tower brace
      Rear UMI shocks
      Rear UMI 2" drop springs
      Rear QA1 lower trailing arms
      17x8 Cragar Window D wheels with 255/40/17 Bf Goodrich Sport Comp 2's all around
      1/4 Billet Spacers in the front to clear the caliper face

      But thats about the extent of upgrades at the moment. This has been phase 1 of my suspension build to get me going out on the autocross course. As the car evolves more so will further suspension upgrades.

      Upcoming plans for the car now are:
      -New Paint! Not as fond of this paint as I thought i would be and i have started the process of sanding again to make way for a new more permanent paint job with the help of a body friend of mine. Undecided on the exact scheme but have a rough idea of how I want the car to look and I think its really going to be a looker once were done with that.
      -New Rearend! The current 7.5 10 Bolt isn't going to cut it for the plans I have with this car so I am in constant search of a nice 8.5 rear that can bolt into this car.
      -New engine! The plan is to build a 5.3 to go into here. I have one in the garage currently but am unsure if it will be a good starting point to build upon so I am looking out for a clean lower mileage one now. I have cam and heads for it along with an oil pan and all accessories. Once a new shortblock is purchased it should go together pretty quick.
      -Seats. I sold the stock seats as the mounting brackets had broken and the stock side bolstering wasn't going to cut it. In the market for nice fixed back seats now.

      Some pictures and updates from the last two months:

      The driver front shock mount in the lower control arm had rusted and broke and in order to get the front springs and shock out I had to cut the shock and maneuver the coil spring out in order to get room to work on getting the lower mount off. This is the aftermath of that shock haha.
      Name:  IMG_5663[1].jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  153.9 KB

      Old Windshield had some major cracks all throughout it and I didn't think tech inspection would let me run with it so a new windshield has gone in as well!
      Name:  IMG_5747[1].jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  164.5 KB

      New FlynBye stainless brake lines, impressed with the quality and fit right up with no leaks, Also comes with standard banjo bolts for stock brakes and new banjo bolts for C5 calipers with associated washers.
      Name:  brake lines.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  248.1 KB

      First time the car has been off of jack stands, outside and seen the light of day since December, id say its coming along and the ride height is alright the way it is right now. It felt good to get all the dirt, dust and grime out from underneath where that car had been for months.
      Name:  IMG_5772[1].jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  255.5 KB

      The chevelle thats been taking up most of my time along with the monte and daily driver silverado in the background.
      Name:  IMG_5775[1].jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  268.7 KB

      Monte and the Daily Driver Silverado out for a picture during this week of nice weather.
      Name:  IMG_5776[1].jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  380.4 KB

      Finally the clearance between the larger aftermarket sway bar and the 255 front section width of the tires. Most of the people on g body forums are saying a 245 is the maximum width for our cars before you end up rubbing on the front bar. Well even with the added girth of the new front bar and 255 I still do not contact at full lock. I'm sure once the car is out on the course and its in action it will rub somewhat, but on the few test drives i've done since all these upgrades I haven't gotten it to rub once, so i'm quite happy with that.
      Name:  sway bar 3.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  174.3 KB

      Well thats all for this update, I believe this post has been long enough haha. Thank you guys for checking it out and ill be sure to update with some more progress soon!
      I always tell others to take the high road, that way there's more room for me on the low road

      Erik Peterson
      1986 Monte Carlo SS Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...6-Nascarlo-2-0

    5. #45
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Greenville, IL
      Posts
      262
      Country Flag: United States
      Nice build, this actually gives me some motivation to work on my Monte. I will have to say I am not really a fan of the tri-tone paint scheme, but I am not one to tell how you "should" build your car. I enjoy seeing the g-bodies being built on here. Keep the updates coming. I will attempt to do the same. Unfortunately, that is going to be difficult for me with starting a new job.
      Joe Marti
      86 Monte Carlo SS build thread
      65 Mustang Coupe
      00 WS6 Trans Am (wife's car)
      15 Silverado LTZ 4x4

    6. #46
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      Grayslake IL
      Posts
      312
      Country Flag: United States
      New update! Was having some issues with the brakes but got it all ironed out now and they stop hardddd! Very happy with the results. But the big news is I finally picked up the engine for the Monte! It's an iron 5.3 ls motor with roughly 80k when pulled. It's very clean inside and out so the main jobs will just be cleaning and installing new parts on it. I have new heads and an ms3 can to throw in it right now. I just purchased some arp head bolts and have some new head gaskets on the way so the motors top end should be all installed by the end of the weekend. More updates to come soon!

      Unloading the engine off the truck next to the Monte
      Name:  IMG_5806.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  183.1 KB

      The garage in chaos because I was switching some motors around on the stands I have so I can work on this new 5.3 for the Monte
      Name:  IMG_5814.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  259.7 KB

      Finally getting some of these motors organized so I can work efficiently haha
      Name:  IMG_5818.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  235.3 KB

      Also removed the rear seat this weekend, going to be saving up for a cage to go in and the rear seat is not staying in the car so removed it when I had some free time. It's packaged up and sitting in the garages attic now in case I ever feel the need to put it back in the car
      Name:  IMG_5819.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  204.2 KB

      Closer look at the short block and the heads I got with the motor all cleaned up now
      Name:  IMG_5820.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  210.9 KB

      That's all for now! Hope to update soon
      I always tell others to take the high road, that way there's more room for me on the low road

      Erik Peterson
      1986 Monte Carlo SS Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...6-Nascarlo-2-0

    7. #47
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      Grayslake IL
      Posts
      312
      Country Flag: United States
      Small update for the last few days! Started ordering parts and getting the motor assembled.

      Putting a new rear main seal in as long with the rear cover gasket, really trying to cover the motor with all the new gaskets to not have this thing leak oil like any other 5.3 ive had for awhile! Haha
      Name:  IMG_5839[1].jpg
Views: 795
Size:  203.1 KB

      Then i attached the rear cover and got the flexplate on as well.

      And yesterday I got my arp head bolts in the mail! Still waiting on the headgaskets to assemble the top end but they will be here soon!
      Name:  IMG_5847[1].jpg
Views: 795
Size:  238.1 KB

      Thats all for now, will update with new info soon
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      I always tell others to take the high road, that way there's more room for me on the low road

      Erik Peterson
      1986 Monte Carlo SS Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...6-Nascarlo-2-0

    8. #48
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      Grayslake IL
      Posts
      312
      Country Flag: United States
      Another small update but an update nonetheless! The body/paint work is starting again. I've started to tackle the problem areas of the body that I neglected before the rattle can job. So this time around i'm ironing out the body and making that to the best it can be and then repainting the Monte. I have yet to decide the exact scheme but have a few ideas on how i want the car to look when i'm all said and done. The car is still going to be NASCAR themed and this time around I will actually start to put that vision into action with door numbers and "sponsor decals". I know its not everyone's style on here but that's how I envisioned building the car when I was shopping for a G body and I want to make it happen. Ill attach some pictures of the slow moving body work and some images of idea's on how I want the car to look at the end.

      The worst area by far on the whole body is the passenger door, my body friend is going to try and correct it but if he cant then a new door is going to find its way on here in the near future.
      Name:  IMG_5850[1].jpg
Views: 725
Size:  121.8 KB

      The passenger quarter panel had some rust bubbling on it so I started sanding that tonight
      Name:  IMG_5849[1].jpg
Views: 729
Size:  150.1 KB

      Another problem area that had some rust buildup near the surface that I started to sand and then spot prime
      Name:  IMG_5851[1].jpg
Views: 733
Size:  129.5 KB

      Spot priming the quarter panel that i've been working on tonight
      Name:  IMG_5852[1].jpg
Views: 738
Size:  141.2 KB

      How the car sits right now, not much progress was made but any progress is good in my book. Im trying to get at least one thing a day done on this car so maybe ill be able to drive it sometime soon! Haha
      Name:  IMG_5853[1].jpg
Views: 744
Size:  178.5 KB

      Here are some photos of inspiration to what I want to design the car around. This time around i'm thinking of just a two color scheme and I'm leaning towards a blue and white scheme but its still up in the air. The body work has to be complete first before I have to worry! That's all for now.
      Name:  nascar1.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  22.7 KBName:  nascar2.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  54.3 KBName:  nascar3.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  46.4 KB
      I always tell others to take the high road, that way there's more room for me on the low road

      Erik Peterson
      1986 Monte Carlo SS Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...6-Nascarlo-2-0

    9. #49
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Posts
      44
      keep getting after it. Is there a build thread for the Chevelle?

    10. #50
      Join Date
      Dec 2006
      Location
      oshawa ontario
      Posts
      1,607
      Country Flag: Canada
      Nascar 69 Chevelle project, 1999 Hutch Pagan Nascar chassis, 69 Chevelle body,700hp, Penske's, slicks, roadrace track day https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...le-Cup-project
      89 Iroc 406 Fitech 5 spd
      01 chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1 Allison
      31 Scarab 2 x 454

    11. #51
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      Grayslake IL
      Posts
      312
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by focused313 View Post
      keep getting after it. Is there a build thread for the Chevelle?
      No there is not one for the chevelle, its more of a restoration project with only a few 'pro-touring upgrades'. So I don't think that one will be getting a thread.
      I always tell others to take the high road, that way there's more room for me on the low road

      Erik Peterson
      1986 Monte Carlo SS Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...6-Nascarlo-2-0

    12. #52
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      Grayslake IL
      Posts
      312
      Country Flag: United States
      Been meaning to update for a few days now and i've finally got the time today! I went ahead and removed most of the interior from the car, assembled some more of the engine, and made more progress with the body work. Its been a busy week but i've got plenty of pictures for you guys, and Ill leave a description in front of every pic!

      Remved all the old stereo wiring throughout the car, there is no longer a stereo or speakers in the car at this point and if I did happen to put a stereo in i'll run new stuff throughout.
      Name:  IMG_5858[1].jpg
Views: 577
Size:  231.6 KB

      Center console is out!
      Name:  IMG_5859[1].jpg
Views: 586
Size:  190.6 KB

      Getting the old crusty carpet out
      Name:  IMG_5862[1].jpg
Views: 584
Size:  183.1 KB

      Hard to tell in this picture but it turns out that the wiring from the neutral safety switch corroded at the connectors on my shifter and were so brittle they essentially broke as soon as i jostled the carpet around the shifter haha.
      Name:  IMG_5863[1].jpg
Views: 606
Size:  251.2 KB

      Carpet out and now onto getting all this insulation out. This took quite some time with it all being glued into place, probably one of my least favorite time consuming jobs i've encountered on this car so far.
      Name:  IMG_5864[1].jpg
Views: 643
Size:  233.7 KB

      Old carpet out with all the sun discoloring.
      Name:  IMG_5865[1].jpg
Views: 620
Size:  176.1 KB

      How I left my interior project that day after working in the garage for longer than I should of haha.
      Name:  IMG_5868[1].jpg
Views: 598
Size:  202.2 KB

      finally onto some motor assembly:

      Soaking the ls7 lifters before installation
      Name:  IMG_5870[1].jpg
Views: 601
Size:  235.8 KB

      Cleaning up the deck surface before the head install
      Name:  IMG_5871[1].jpg
Views: 632
Size:  243.4 KB

      Lifters installed, new headgaskets on, and my 853 heads with arp bolts all on. Starting to actually look like an engine!
      Name:  IMG_5882[1].jpg
Views: 581
Size:  246.9 KB

      Garage all cleaned up and the monte back in one piece. Happy with the progress that got done this week and hope to update with new updates in the coming week. Thanks guys! Appreciate any and all feedback from you guys.
      I always tell others to take the high road, that way there's more room for me on the low road

      Erik Peterson
      1986 Monte Carlo SS Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...6-Nascarlo-2-0

    13. #53
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      Grayslake IL
      Posts
      312
      Country Flag: United States
      New update for you guys and finally got a sizeable one! Ive been busy the last 2 weeks getting the monte's body work up to par and spending endless hours sanding. Pictures will follow!

      Before getting into the body pics just wanted to show the small update on the engine, got my valley cover from ict billet as I will be going with a carb and do not need the provisions for knock sensors.
      Name:  20170320_212434[1].jpg
Views: 555
Size:  226.1 KBName:  20170320_212448[1].jpg
Views: 522
Size:  239.7 KBName:  20170320_213453[1].jpg
Views: 523
Size:  237.9 KB

      Started with the car being complete and 95% painted still on Saturday morning and this is the progression of body work and sanding throughout the day.
      Name:  20170321_112912[1].jpg
Views: 614
Size:  253.4 KB
      Name:  20170323_152955[1].jpg
Views: 584
Size:  315.2 KB
      Name:  20170323_152948[1].jpg
Views: 537
Size:  342.7 KB
      Name:  20170323_152936[1].jpg
Views: 547
Size:  483.0 KB
      Name:  20170321_214800[1].jpg
Views: 552
Size:  227.6 KB

      After bodyworking and sanding the car all week I finally got to a point this last weekend that I could get the car in primer. I hung some clear plastic around the garage ceiling to create my own make shift paint booth and to cut down on dust and overspray around the garage. It seemed to work out great for how low buck the whole operation is.
      Name:  20170326_181050[1].jpg
Views: 556
Size:  173.9 KB
      Name:  20170325_231329[1].jpg
Views: 536
Size:  201.1 KB
      Name:  20170326_181059[1].jpg
Views: 549
Size:  177.2 KB

      Thats all for now, I noticed a few small areas that need a bit more work once I got the car in primer so im still working on getting the body 100% and then ill be shooting paint in the next couple of weeks!
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      I always tell others to take the high road, that way there's more room for me on the low road

      Erik Peterson
      1986 Monte Carlo SS Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...6-Nascarlo-2-0

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com