Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Hydroboost install obstacles

I want to start off by saying thanks to Fast Warehouse for working with me on with where I'm at this point. I tried their plate and picked an Astro hydrobooster from a local junkyard so I'm currently under $150 so far but I still need to pick up lines and fittings to finish it. This is for my '79 Trans Am 400 4spd so hopefully this info helps anyone with a 2nd gen Camaro/Firebird.

I had an issue with the Fast Warehouse bracket not fitting my pedal assembly initially but after talking with them, they sent me a new adapter plate that works great. I also have the special hydroboost socket rented out from them as well. My only issue at this point was that I never got a direction sheet so I'm more or less figuring this thing out with help as I go. This thread should free up some issues others may have if going about a similar install. For anyone interested, Fast Warehouse sells the adapter plate but not a full on kit like Hydratech or Tallon at this point.

Here is where we're starting on this...

Again, I had an issue with the original plate (machining error) but that has been addressed and it bolts up now with no issue at all. I noticed it flips the booster around unlike how the Chevy Astro orientation normally is but this provides more valve cover clearance.

Question #1 - How do I attach the push rod? With no directions and looking at what I was supplied, I assume that I have to chop off the end and get the push rod threaded?

Answer - The existing hydraboost pushrod must be cut and then threaded for 3/8-24 to fit their heim joint pushrod. In my case, I also cut down the gold threaded turnbuckle adjuster because it was too long. After this was complete, the brake pedal is fully adjustable now. An alternate route in order to not cut and thread your own pushrod is to use one from Talon Hydraulics. Link to the Tallon threaded pushrods... http://www.tallonhydraulics.com/stor...ex&cPath=42_14

Finished adjustment locked down.

Question #2 - Do I use the top or bottom hole on my brake pedal? With the stock hydroboost push rod attached to the lower hole, it catches on the booster unit when the pedal is depressed. From what I've gathered the top hole should be for manual brakes. The top "manual" hole, however, has a much straighter angle to depress the push rod and won't bind when the hydroboost is installed but the travel is less than the lower "power assist" hole.

Answer - Since switching to the hydroboost setup with the Fast Warehouse bracket, you need to use the upper hole where the brake switch plate attaches.

Resting position (not depressed) with push rod attached to lower hole...

Here you can see how the push rod binds if it's attached to the lower hole on my pedal and is depressed...

This is where the attachment goes in order to provide good pushrod orientation. You can also see the lower hole/pin that would cause bind in the previous picture...

Here is another picture where it needs to push the brake light switch.
      Last edited by F-Body International; 01-23-2016 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Questions Answered

Nick is the answer man!

This is a side business for Nick and I, we both still work full times jobs and strive to offer the best service to our customers. We have been working long hours this year, so thank you for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by g-machine View Post
      Nick is the answer man!

This is a side business for Nick and I, we both still work full times jobs and strive to offer the best service to our customers. We have been working long hours this year, so thank you for your patience.
      No problem, thanks again George! Speaking with Nick really helped with the hydroboost. As pictured, I got the hydroboost bracket mounted up and it fits great. I'm going to paint the bracket and booster then return your socket as soon as I get it mounted up.

Lines and fittings are as close as your local auto parts store. The fittings are only a few bucks apiece and, when you get you lines figured out the shop should be able to crimp the pressure fittings for you. That's the route I am taking on the van and I will have about 50 bucks into all of the lines.
      On the boost unit.

Down at the steering rack.

What pump are you using? I got one for an '80's 1 ton dually. It has the required return port.

I made the adapter fitting to go from the 3/4" push on hose to the -10 AN fitting.

Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Lines and fittings are as close as your local auto parts store. The fittings are only a few bucks apiece and, when you get you lines figured out the shop should be able to crimp the pressure fittings for you. That's the route I am taking on the van and I will have about 50 bucks into all of the lines.
      On the boost unit.

Down at the steering rack.

What pump are you using? I got one for an '80's 1 ton dually. It has the required return port.

I made the adapter fitting to go from the 3/4" push on hose to the -10 AN fitting.

Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Right now I have the original pump on my '79 Pontiac 400.

Isn't there an Astro hydroboost unit that already has a threaded rod?

Guess it's not THAT big a deal to cut and thread; just more work if one could just order one already threaded.
      • '70 Mercedes 280SL (wife's)
      • '55 Nomad
      • 71 BMW 2800CS
      • '06 Chrysler 300c SRT8 (wife's)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com