Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 121 to 140 of 153

    Threaded View

    1. #21
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Phoenix
      Posts
      162
      Country Flag: United States
      It's been a few weeks and I've been slacking on giving updates. Not a lot has happened, really. But here's the latest.

      I needed to make some adjustments to the oil pan and Z-Ray crossmember to open up some space. Again, my engine is sitting lower and back and to the right. This caused a bit of interference and needed to be addressed. I dimpled the pan where the steering bumped it and cut the crossmember and re-welded it lower and clocked back a little.
      I made a template to give me the rough outline of what I'd need to end up with. Below are a few pics of the process. I need to get a pic of the finished crossmember.













      I -finally- was able to squeeze into a spot at my friend's shop to get my exhaust done. He loaned me his truck and trailer and off it goes!



      Once we got to looking at clearances and whatnot, the plan of an X-pipe with tailpipes out the back to the valance and additional bullet mufflers along with the black widows to tone things down a bit seemed to become a bit more complicated. My JBA headers hang -real- low and the panhard bar left very little room for 2.5" tailpipes. After much debate, side exit exhaust was decided upon 'for now' so i could get this turd on the road. I may revisit headers at a later date along with other changes.















      The bullet mufflers were added, in theory, to help tone things down a bit. I may or may not run at a local autocross track that has a 96db sound check and thought it best to try to address that early.

      One last thing we did while the car was still there was discuss the hood clearance issues. I've ordered a Performer RPM intake to replace the Victor Jr. to help with the hood clearance but that still didn't give me the room I wanted for the air cleaner. I had already purchased a 69 Mach 1 scoop from ebay, so I gave the all-clear and Mike opened up the hood. Before anyone flips out, it was a repop hood with a dent in the center of the cutout. No big loss. The RPM will provide enough room to run a drop-base cleaner and turn signal hood if I choose to later.







      One thing that I wanted to address prior to starting up the car (which hopefully will be soon-ish) was to protect the fuel line from heat since the side exhaust was now a thing. I have plenty of space between the line and the tip but since you can't be too careful, I wrapped a long section with DEI's fuel line sleeve and capped that off with their Cool Tape.







      To wrap this up, I had already decided to take down some more of the divider wall in the garage at home. There is still about 4' of it that I would like to remove. Oh, and I finally took the protective film off of the fuel tank.





      The new intake should arrive this week so I'll likely work on getting that swapped out. I've completed a few other things in the background that needed to be checked off. I think it's time to write my short list on the white board and start striking those items off to get ready to fire this pile up!

      Kris - Building the poor man's '68 Mustang.





    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com