Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Results 21 to 40 of 111

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Posts
      63
      Country Flag: United States

      New coilovers

      We finally have nice weather but I haven't had any time to work on the car. My friends motorcycle engine locked up and he asked me to fix it. It was much worse than I was expecting (it sucked in a metal washer and did a number on everything), but that is done so I can get back to the mustang. I did get the wife to let me spend some money so I have plenty to do for a while. I got the Viking coilovers with 250lbs rate 12" springs. The rate was kind of a guess since I couldn't find any solid numbers to go from. It should be close for a starting point at least. I went with the larger 5/8" eye bushings since I'm not sure if I am going to use the bottom mount in single or double shear yet. I know that double is stronger but it seems like most people are using single shear without any problems. Single shear sure looks a lot cleaner but I may go with a double shear mount just for the peace of mind. I am open to input on the mounts, or better yet pictures.



      Name:  Viking coilover.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  197.9 KB


    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Posts
      63
      Country Flag: United States

      Shock mounts

      Measure twice, cut once. Looks like I should have measured 3 times. I tried to mock up the coil overs tonight and It's a lot tighter than I thought it was going to be. I should have went with the next shorter shock. I wanted to try and keep a decent amount of travel, so went with the longer shocks. I was going to keep the shocks below the truck floor but It will need to stick above it a little. The stock shocks mounted a similar way so I am going to try and use the factory hump for some extra space.

      Name:  IMG_1464.JPG
Views: 1540
Size:  263.6 KB
      I cut out some of the extra bracing with a cut off wheel for more room.

      Name:  IMG_1466.JPG
Views: 1515
Size:  249.5 KB
      Here is the rough cut.

    3. #3
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Posts
      63
      Country Flag: United States
      Sorry to disappoint you guys, but the bullet wheels were already sold. They were beat up and not even the same color, must have been off different year cars. After looking a a bunch of pictures, I still love the Saleen wheels on these cars, so thats what I went with. Of course there are better wheels, but not in my price range. I took them to my brothers shop to get the tires mounted. I didn't think about valve stems until the day of and after stopping at 3 places for some bolt in chrome stems (with no luck) I used the rubber ones. I will change them at some point.
      Here is the first check on the balancer. I thought this was a lot of weight but considering these are heavy wheels that have been modified and used tires he thought it was pretty good.

      Name:  IMG_1015.jpg
Views: 3573
Size:  125.5 KB

      And it balanced out OK.

      Name:  IMG_1017.jpg
Views: 3543
Size:  137.6 KB

      Name:  IMG_1020.jpg
Views: 3548
Size:  124.5 KB

    4. #4
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Posts
      63
      Country Flag: United States

      Fender lip rolling

      My first attempt at rolling the fender lip did not go well. The inner fender lip meets up with the quarter panel so once "rolled" up (it was more like beat up, with a large hammer) it was 4 layers of sheet metal with seam sealer in the middle. It looked terrible and was still to wide and rubbed the tire.
      Here is the first "rolled" attempt.

      Name:  IMG_0772.JPG
Views: 3515
Size:  522.8 KB

      Name:  IMG_0773.JPG
Views: 3548
Size:  520.6 KB

      I put the tape on after to act as a guideline for cutting the lip off. I bent it back down 1st then cut away.
      Here you can see the inner fender after the quarter was cut off. More spot welds to grind off.

      Name:  IMG_0776.JPG
Views: 3523
Size:  597.3 KB

      Name:  IMG_0778.JPG
Views: 3561
Size:  573.4 KB

      Then I cut the inner lip off.

      Name:  IMG_0784.JPG
Views: 3460
Size:  542.1 KB

      I cleaned up the rough cut to check fitment.

    5. #5
      Join Date
      Jul 2014
      Location
      orlando FL where the hot panties are
      Posts
      102
      Country Flag: United States
      love the SN95s! subscribed!
      The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend...

      MY BUILD https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ra-1-Contender

    6. #6
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      592
      Country Flag: United States
      Who did the widening? How much was it?
      The rule is measure twice and cut once. My problem is I still measure with a mic and cut with an axe!

    7. #7
      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      Baltimore, MD
      Posts
      10
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Protour_Pinto View Post
      Who did the widening? How much was it?
      Since there wasn't a response, my gut tells me Weldcraft Wheels did it since they are both in Michigan. Weldcraft is pretty well known for this stuff.

    8. #8
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Posts
      63
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKeith View Post
      Since there wasn't a response, my gut tells me Weldcraft Wheels did it since they are both in Michigan. Weldcraft is pretty well known for this stuff.
      You are correct, it was weldcraft. It was $235 per wheel to widen 2". That was the most economical way to get a 12" wheel that I liked.

    9. #9
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Posts
      63
      Country Flag: United States

      A little update

      I picked up this:
      Name:  IMG_2186.JPG
Views: 1284
Size:  146.1 KB

      To get this:
      Name:  IMG_2261.JPG
Views: 1242
Size:  134.0 KB

      The truck intake is to tall (and ugly) so I got an ls1.
      Name:  IMG_2296.JPG
Views: 1244
Size:  122.7 KB

    10. #10
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Posts
      63
      Country Flag: United States

      It fits

      It fits

      Name:  IMG_0794.JPG
Views: 1854
Size:  349.5 KB

      Name:  IMG_0788.JPG
Views: 1840
Size:  344.3 KB

    11. #11
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Location
      McKinney, TX
      Posts
      1,623
      Country Flag: United States
      Man that looks good!
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

    12. #12
      Join Date
      Mar 2006
      Location
      Lowell, MI
      Posts
      403
      Country Flag: United States
      Cool project! Where in West MI are you?

      Turbo Charged LS1/T56

    13. #13
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Posts
      63
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by LS1-IROC View Post
      Cool project! Where in West MI are you?
      Thanks. I'm just outside of Grand Rapids. That IROC is awesome looking, I always loved them. The stance is great. For me, the stance can ruin an otherwise great car.

    14. #14
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Posts
      76
      Country Flag: United States
      Wow thats a good looking coil-over kit!

    15. #15
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Posts
      63
      Country Flag: United States

      Gas tank build

      First time I ever tried to make a fuel tank. I was concerned about fuel slosh/starvation on track days so I build a little sump inside the tank. I will be running dual internal pumps.
      Name:  IMG_2617.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  153.6 KB
      Name:  IMG_2620.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  121.5 KB
      The outside corner welds came out pretty good. The inside corners did not come out so great.
      Name:  IMG_2619.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  132.9 KB

    16. #16
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Posts
      266
      Country Flag: United States
      Cool build, I like the huge tires that aren't obviously huge from the outside. Nice work!
      1988 Mazda RX7 - Forged LS/T56, 76mm turbo, ProEFI, Ford 8.8 - Sold
      1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, Haltech, big brakes, updated suspension.
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Full bolt-ons
      2016 BMW 428iX GranSport - Stock...ish.

    17. #17
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      165
      Country Flag: United States
      Awesome job so far. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
      CAM-T Autocross Fox Mustang
      LX mustang autocross on the "cheap"...
      1953 PickEmUp
      1953 Chev Pickemup

    18. #18
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Posts
      1
      Country Flag: United States
      What size rubber are you running on the front? I have 275's on the front and 315's on the back of my SN95, sure would like to go bigger up front.

    19. #19
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Posts
      63
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by thethrillofspeed View Post
      What size rubber are you running on the front? I have 275's on the front and 315's on the back of my SN95, sure would like to go bigger up front.
      275/35-18 on 9" wide wheels. I wanted to go wider but it was going be a lot more work so I took the easy route on the front. The 10" wide wheels stuck out to far for my liking. Some fender flares may have looked good but I am not ready for body work yet.

    20. #20
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Posts
      31
      here you go this should solve your problem a little pricey but https://www.maierracing.com/product/...-front-flares/ How much did your 10" wheel stick out? you should be able to fit a 305 tire for sure, also I asked maier, he told me I could fit 315 on all 4's with his flares, but he couldn't tell me what size wheels, so expect to modify flares up front to fit 18 by 10's.
      Quote Originally Posted by Peter R View Post
      275/35-18 on 9" wide wheels. I wanted to go wider but it was going be a lot more work so I took the easy route on the front. The 10" wide wheels stuck out to far for my liking. Some fender flares may have looked good but I am not ready for body work yet.

    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast



    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com