Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

    Login / Register




    Results 101 to 120 of 208

    Threaded View

    1. #1
      Join Date
      Sep 2014
      Location
      Rochester, IL
      Posts
      143
      Country Flag: United States

      My 66 Chevelle P/T build

      I'm new to this site and wanted to introduce myself and hopefully get some advice and guidance on my next build. I have been a member at Team Chevelle for many years and a few members here are also members at TC. One in particular is "TommyComfort" aka Tom Farrington. I have admired his 66 from reading his threads over at TC. I have never met Tom but by all accounts he is a great guy and he definitely has a sweet 66 Chevelle. I'm excited to be over here now and I hope its as good of a group as we have over there.

      I gave up drag racing a year ago and that need for competition is still there. I really want to give Auto Cross a try and my build is going to be geared towards this. I have been looking for a solid 66 Chevelle for a few months now but I wasn't having much luck. I sold my 69 Camaro this week so my search for a new car intensified. Here is a picture of my Camaro right before it's new owner showed up.



      I have traveled a lot of miles recently only to turn around and come home empty because the seller misrepresented their car. Well this weekend I found my new project. It's not perfect but as much as I drive and beat on my cars, it never will be perfect. I think it's a solid starting point and I'm more than a little excited to get started. It has new hotchkis rear lowering springs and a new front coil over spring conversion. Im not sure brand on front coil overs on the front yet. New wheels and tires that will go on another project down the road or get sold to recover some costs for new wheels. Here are a few pictures on the way home.







      I have been thinking about what I wanted to do to this car long before I ever found it. My plan for this winter is to pull the body off to paint and detail the bottom of the floors and install ABC Performance mini tubs. The frame will get Abc Performance's frame notch kit and boxing plates.

      As far as suspension I have been researching Detroit Speed, Ride Tech and Speed Tech's suspension packages. I definitely want to do coil over conversion on both ends for nothing else but the ability to adjust ride height. All of these suspensions will far exceed my Auto Cross abilities at first so I guess my main concern is ride quality first since it will see a ton of street miles. Secondary would be track performance. I 'm hoping to get some input from some of you who have already done the trial and error and have found a nice package that works.

      Power will come from an LS3 and either a TKO600 or T56. I know the T56 requires some serious tunnel mods but I hope to hear from some guys that have used either of these in a 66 A body. Rear end will most likely be a fabricated 9". The car needs wired and I will get that from American Auto Wire. I love the looks of the 66 and want to retain all of the moldings, emblems etc... i love that look. The interior will be much of the same. Stock buckets with better foam, stock door panels and dash. The biggest change in the interior will be the Dakota Digital VHX gauges to work with the LS3.

      I know I want to run a 335/18 in the rear and as big as I can fit up front without excessive rubbing. Wheels are completely up in the air right now. I know I don't like the wheels that came on the car so they are definitely going. I found some I like from Forgeline but WOW are they pricey.

      I'm sorry for being long winded on my first post and hope I didn't offend anyone. This thread will move slowly at first while I spend the next few weeks gathering parts. It should take off pretty good once the weather turns bad.

      Thanks for allowing me to share my experience,

      Mike McMasters





    Advertise on Pro-Touring.com