Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      WOW, that is "down and back"! With the dry sump, are you using a low profile bellhousing/flywheel/clutch with reverse mount starter? I thought about doing that, but the $$ changed my mind. Given the current level of competition I would do it that way if doing it over. The drop in CG would be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but any weight rearward of the front wheels will contribute to the pendulum effect once your rear wheels break free since the front wheels are then at the axis of rotation. The more rearward the weight, the faster it's motion and therefore the greater it's momentum and contribution to motion.

At the same time, placing weight further back contributes more weight to the rear wheels which should aid in traction and therefore reduce the chance of lift-off oversteer, especially since it's caused by weight transfer to the front of the vehicle. Which is more important? I would posit that *if* you're a good enough driver to avoid lift-off oversteer then the added traction would be more important.
      That is incorrect.

Thanks, not quite what I meant by "Correct me" but I'll give it some thought.

Quote Originally Posted by RobNoLimit View Post
      WOW, that is "down and back"! With the dry sump, are you using a low profile bellhousing/flywheel/clutch with reverse mount starter? I thought about doing that, but the $$ changed my mind. Given the current level of competition I would do it that way if doing it over. The drop in CG would be worth it.
      The bell housing is my limiting factor for engine height with the stock chassis. We had to raise the engine up a little after we double checked the scrub line. The up side is we found another 1.5" of room to move back further.

Name:  _MG_9540_SFI_t56_lsx.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  191.3 KB

The dry sump and pan have loads of room, I'm using a convention bell housing and starter. Like you, that gets into a entire other level of cost that I cannot justify at this time. This change is over achieving my goals for part of the build - the engine location is better that ever imagined. Sadly, that comes with having to build new headers and adjust the cage. The shifter might get interesting too...

Once the truck goes to the next level, I'm going to re-evaluate the goals and consider more compact bell housing, reverse mount starter, etc.

This is crazy enough for now and should give me room to grow as a driver.

FYI - the LS/t56 Quicktime SFI bell housing weights 24lbs, plus the bolts and front shield. Ouch. However, it is a work of art, I'd love to see the press that makes them, it must be massive.

Country Flag: Germany
      Awesome progress! I was stunned when i saw the pictures yesterday.

Does that affect braking balance?

1985 Dodge Power Ram W250 3/4t 360/518/241
      2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SRT-10 505/T56/D60 small upgrades

Country Flag: Germany
      Oh, and what are you going to do about the shifter location?

1985 Dodge Power Ram W250 3/4t 360/518/241
      2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SRT-10 505/T56/D60 small upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by bovey View Post

The bell housing is my limiting factor for engine height with the stock chassis. We had to raise the engine up a little after we double checked the scrub line.
      If possible I would like to see a picture of your engine and transmission as a unit, taken from the side. So as to compare how low the dry sump pan sits relative to the bell housing and transmission.

For me, I run an automatic, and it has become apparent that any efforts to lower my engine will absolutely be limited by the AODE/4R70W, not the engine. I'd be throwing money away in fitting a dry sump only for the purpose of raising the oil pan height (proper oil supply during high G's not withstanding).

I am planning on fabricating a custom steel fluid pan for my AODE just so I can squeak every bit of clearance possible out of that area.

Country Flag: Canada
      Gustave, what distance from your trans pan to the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
      If possible I would like to see a picture of your engine and transmission as a unit, taken from the side. So as to compare how low the dry sump pan sits relative to the bell housing and transmission.

For me, I run an automatic, and it has become apparent that any efforts to lower my engine will absolutely be limited by the AODE/4R70W, not the engine. I'd be throwing money away in fitting a dry sump only for the purpose of raising the oil pan height (proper oil supply during high G's not withstanding).

I am planning on fabricating a custom steel fluid pan for my AODE just so I can squeak every bit of clearance possible out of that area.

This is the only photo I have from the side. I'm standing, so the camera is higher than the engine, but it kinda gives you the idea.

Name:  _MG_9532_mockup_LSX_T56.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  95.9 KB

The dry sump is above the pan mounting surface and the dry sump pan itself is 2.125" deep. The bottom lip of the bell housing may have a date with a cut-off wheel.

This is the only photo I have from the side. I'm standing, so the camera is higher than the engine, but it kinda gives you the idea.
      OK Thanks Bovey.

The bottom lip of the bell housing may have a date with a cut-off wheel.
      Seems like a win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon View Post
      Gustave, what distance from your trans pan to the road?
      Peter, I cannot answer exactly as my truck is on jack stands right now, for the exact purpose of getting a little more ride height

I was going to give a long-winded answer, then realized this is not my thread. I'll add something to my own build thread about it soon.

Gustave

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
      Peter, I cannot answer exactly as my truck is on jack stands right now, for the exact purpose of getting a little more ride height

I was going to give a long-winded answer, then realized this is not my thread. I'll add something to my own build thread about it soon.

Gustave

Hey Dr G. What ride height did you have and what problems with it. What are you raising it up to?

Someone, somewhere, asked for a photo from inside. Here it is. We are currently figuring out driver position.

Name:  _MG_0755_interior_engine_set_back.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  99.8 KB

It's so much easier to do this without the firewall in the way, but there are still compromises. I'd love the seat to move over another inch, but the door bar gets in the way. We are still moving things around.

More soon.

Country Flag: Canada
      Weren't you running Momo seats when you came to the Toyota car show Mark?

Someone, somewhere, asked for a photo from inside. Here it is. We are currently figuring out driver position.

Name:  _MG_0755_interior_engine_set_back.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  99.8 KB
      I thought you might run into interference between the left cyl. head and your right foot toes (at WOT). Although not totally clear from the picture, it looks like you will be ok. Maybe your truck being quite wide helps in this regard.

Gustave

The 427 LSX is back (dyno'd too) from SDPC Raceshop! For fun, we are going to do a "Facebook live" unboxing and discussion tomorrow. Details below.

Name:  IMG_8893.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  81.8 KB
      Name:  IMG_8892.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  69.8 KB

As you know Performance Improvements, here is Canada help me a lot and they are super excited to see the engine. They also do a Facebook live series called "What's in the box" (think Seven, but for speed parts).

Name:  IMG_8894.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  66.4 KB

They have asked me to do a live unboxing of the engine and discuss what and why has been done to it. One crate is the engine, the other is the Aviaid Dry Sump. I'll post a time later today, or check in with PI or the Targa Truck's Facebook page.

We are aiming for a live air time of 1PM EST. This is for fun, to try something different, we are far from pros!

There is now an added bonus, a PI customer's Edelbrock Supercharged Coyote has landed so we are going to unbox both my 427 LSX and the 5.0.

Final details:
      Saturday, Dec. 3rd
      1PM EST on facebook
      Search for "Performance Improvements Speed Shops" to find us.

We did our live unboxing today. There were technical difficulties, but we rolled with the punches!

Here is what we opened up...

Name:  _MG_0860_427_LSX_SDPC_complete_600.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  124.9 KB

I'll post a longer response with more photos. I need to cull my photos and edit them.

DYNO RESULTS! WOOT!

610.8 HP @ 6100
      579.1 ft/lbs @ 5000/5100

Average HP from 4500 - 6500 rpm - 576.6
      Average torque from 4500 - 6500 rpm - 548.3 ft/lbs

Today was a sobering day, I felt like a kid opening gifts. SDPC Raceshop were fabulous to deal with. The journey home was 1650 miles and everything arrives safe and sound.

Country Flag: Australia
      Wicked
      Hot rodder's recycle, wheres those prius' going when the tree huggers have a new fad.

What's with the distributor?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast