Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast
      As for suspension, there are plenty of choices besides DSE.

You said this is mostly a street car, right? Why not go with leaf springs and a TCP panhard rod kit? Maybe add some Caltracs?

Andrew

I realize that there are lots of options as far as rear suspension. But I'm sticking with DSE , seeing as I've already installed their sub-frame connectors, rear torque boxes and mini-tubs . It's a very well engineered set up and I don't think the price is out of hand at $3000 . Besides what ever suspension that i was to go with it would come out of the US and I'd have to pay the extra 25% on top .
      As far as the rear firewall , that's something to consider. Thanks

I so much prefer turning wrenches as to massaging body panels !

Country Flag: United States
      So glad so see more progress on the cougar. looks good in epoxy primer!

Very nice!
      70 Cougar
      Aces Kill shot efi
      T70 Turbocharged 302 430hp 488tq
      Tremec 3550
      13" Cobra brakes
      Unisteer Manual rack

Name:  IMG_0481.jpg
Views: 2111
Size:  168.3 KB

Ok , lets see what I can do with this . It should be a challenge , grafting in a 68 Mustang GT front valance . I got a great deal on it so I don't feel too bad about cutting it up . Oh ya , I finally ordered tires today . 265/35/18 for the front and 295/35/18 for the rear , Michelin Pilot Sports . I was really hoping to get 315/30/18 for the rear but it would be pushing it , they fit but with only .5 inch clearance on both sides . The 295 are only an inch narrower than the 315 and that makes a big difference . Wheels next , then brakes , I've got to get this in order so that eventually I can decide on rear end width , then order up the rear suspension . $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ .

Quote Originally Posted by langleylad View Post
      Name:  IMG_0481.jpg
Views: 2111
Size:  168.3 KB

Ok , lets see what I can do with this . It should be a challenge , grafting in a 68 Mustang GT front valance . I got a great deal on it so I don't feel too bad about cutting it up . Oh ya , I finally ordered tires today . 265/35/18 for the front and 295/35/18 for the rear , Michelin Pilot Sports . I was really hoping to get 315/30/18 for the rear but it would be pushing it , they fit but with only .5 inch clearance on both sides . The 295 are only an inch narrower than the 315 and that makes a big difference . Wheels next , then brakes , I've got to get this in order so that eventually I can decide on rear end width , then order up the rear suspension . $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ .
      Those tires will look great...promise!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Name:  IMG_0485.jpg
Views: 2051
Size:  104.6 KB

Today I panel gapped the driver side door , I realize that without a before picture that this doesn't say much but I had to weld in a length of 1/8" rod and then I still had to add a bit more weld to the middle section . I ended up with a 3/16" gap . It's worth the effort .

Andrew , I'm sure I'll be very happy . Piece of mind is worth something .

Name:  IMG_0486.jpg
Views: 2092
Size:  167.5 KBName:  IMG_0487.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  93.8 KB

Oh ya ! , these will do . I'm sure glad that I went with the 295's and not 315's in the back .

Gotta love the big wheel wells on the Cougars.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

I'm looking into wheels , actually I have been for awhile now . There sure are a lot of really nice wheels out there and I'm sure they're worth every cent but holy cow !. $1500 a piece for some , now if you have an all out race car that gets abused ( in a good way ) I'm sure they're worth it . But on a street driven machine it's a bit much . I've found one manufacturer that builds some really nice wheels ( forged aluminium , made in the US) at $720 a piece . Even that is a pretty penny , plus I have to tack on 25% more because I live up north . I know I've wined about that before but it's a fact of life . I need a 18 x 9 and a 18 x 10.5 or 18 x 11 , help please .

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
      Gotta love the big wheel wells on the Cougars.
      DSE mini tubs helped

Hello to a fellow BC'r!

Love the build! For wheels have you checked into Rushforth? They make a nice custom wheel for reasonable prices, but I defs hear you on the exchange right now it sucks! Good on your for sticking to your guns on the DSE stuff, I put their quadra link and tubs in my 67 Fastback and the quality of this stuff is way above other kits I've seen like RCI, TCI, Ridtech etc..
      Once my car is done, my dad and I are about to start a 69 cougar convert! not pro touring though all stock :( Neat car actually its an XR7 convert, 428 CJ 4 speed!
      Good luck with your project looking forward to the updates

Cheers
      Tom

Can't wait to see what you are going to do with the valance, but i'm sure it will be awesome. Great selection on the tires, good size and very well proportioned for the cougar, imo!

Quote Originally Posted by Chev Korbin View Post
      Can't wait to see what you are going to do with the valance, but i'm sure it will be awesome. Great selection on the tires, good size and very well proportioned for the cougar, imo!
      Thanks for the vote of confidence !. I've put a lot of hours into this valance and it's coming along. Hopefully I can post a picture mid-week. I put a lot of time into what size tire to run in the back . Detroit Speed has some recommendations on tire size for the minitub kit but they're for early model Mustangs but they put me in the ball park. Michelin and others post all their specs online so that's a help . I believe I nailed it with the 295's.

Country Flag: Canada
      I've put the tire decision to one side and I've bathed the Cougar in black epoxy primer . With the CDN dollar sitting at 75 cents American I think I'll be working with what I have at the moment . The DSE Quadralink rear suspension which sells for $3000 US is $4000 CDN , boo !

Attachment 115945
      I'm so glad I'm done buying parts for my car, A 25% increase just plain hurts. Nice car btw!
      Build Thread!!!https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?88692-1971-Speedipus-Rex&p=925864&posted=1#post925864

I think TCI is a Canadian company

Quote Originally Posted by I_make_oil View Post
      I think TCI is a Canadian company
      Total Cost Involved Engineering are in Ontario , California

My mistake. I only saw the Ontario part.

I'm looking into wheels , actually I have been for awhile now . There sure are a lot of really nice wheels out there and I'm sure they're worth every cent but holy cow !. $1500 a piece for some , now if you have an all out race car that gets abused ( in a good way ) I'm sure they're worth it . But on a street driven machine it's a bit much . I've found one manufacturer that builds some really nice wheels ( forged aluminium , made in the US) at $720 a piece . Even that is a pretty penny , plus I have to tack on 25% more because I live up north . I know I've wined about that before but it's a fact of life . I need a 18 x 9 and a 18 x 10.5 or 18 x 11 , help please .
      Have you look at ET wheels? http://www.etmags.com/
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Thanks for the tip .

Here is my 68 Mustang valance modified and installed on my 68 Cougar . I'm glad that I don't charge myself by the hour to do these kinds of things because I'd go broke . This is after the first stage of body work. Actually it looks like crap in this picture .

Name:  IMG_0490.jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  104.7 KB

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com